Author Topic: Help please - hes biten a friend  (Read 3887 times)

Offline *Theresa*

• Donator
Re: Help please - hes biten a friend
« Reply #30 on: August 06, 2007, 03:04:00 PM »
I have begun to realise more, how important it is to be able to interpret your dog's communication. I always would have interpreted things like a dog licking your face as a sign of affection, where actually I would now be more inclined to interpret as uneasiness/ uncertainty.

That depends... trust me, if our American Cocker licks your face (and doesn't he do a good job of it too...  :005:), it is definitely affection!  :luv: ... particularly if he had just been licking something disgusting a few seconds before hand...  >:( :005:

Yep can definately say the same, Glen like nothing more than to inspect your face and make sure you washed it properly just after he has finished washing himself very thoroughly  >:( :005:
Theresa, Dave, Glen and Sally (or their aliases Gwendoline and Scallywag)

Offline CarolineL

• Site Member
« Reply #31 on: August 06, 2007, 03:50:05 PM »
I have begun to realise more, how important it is to be able to interpret your dog's communication. I always would have interpreted things like a dog licking your face as a sign of affection, where actually I would now be more inclined to interpret as uneasiness/ uncertainty.

That depends... trust me, if our American Cocker licks your face (and doesn't he do a good job of it too...  :005:), it is definitely affection!  :luv: ... particularly if he had just been licking something disgusting a few seconds before hand...  >:( :005:

Yep can definately say the same, Glen like nothing more than to inspect your face and make sure you washed it properly just after he has finished washing himself very thoroughly  >:( :005:

Hurley is exactly the same, although we usually get a nice big cocker kiss after he has raided the cat litter tray!!  :lol: What I think KB is trying to point out is that cocker's licking your face should not always be interpreted as a sign of affection as this is not always the case  ;)
Caroline, Hurley the cocker, Jasper Cat and Little Mo xxxxx

"My name's not Hurley, it's Hugo Reyes. Hurley's just a nickname I have. Why?.... I'm not telling..."

Offline michelle123

• Site Member
« Reply #32 on: August 06, 2007, 08:33:06 PM »
Have you ever heard the expression "let sleeping dogs lie" ? Now you know where it came from  :blink:

Niki - you beat me to it.  This saying is for a reason. 

Offline kb

• Site Member
« Reply #33 on: August 06, 2007, 10:01:54 PM »
Thanks Caroline - that is exactly what Iam trying to say ;)

Offline PennyB

« Reply #34 on: August 06, 2007, 10:20:10 PM »

Hurley is exactly the same, although we usually get a nice big cocker kiss after he has raided the cat litter tray!!  :lol: What I think KB is trying to point out is that cocker's licking your face should not always be interpreted as a sign of affection as this is not always the case  ;)

When Ruby tries to snog people its usually affection but you can see in both my two when they lick other dogs faces that its usually appeasement or uncertainty
Friends of Hailey Park
Four Paws Animal Rescue (South Wales)

Cockers are just hooligans in cute clothing!

Offline Jan/Billy

• Site Member
« Reply #35 on: August 06, 2007, 11:44:18 PM »
I agree with everything that has been said. I never disturb Billy whilst sleeping.

Try not to dwell on it too much. It's happened, learn from it & move on.You will feel shocked & upset, it's only natural, but it will ease, believe me I've been there.

I know exactly what you're saying , I see it with Billy sometimes   ;)

Offline spanielcrazy

• Site Member
« Reply #36 on: August 07, 2007, 12:18:49 AM »
What should I have done when he did that?
What do I do next?
Why is he showing possesion agression with this friend? or is it just bad luck she has been the brunt of it.
If he is inconsistent - is this going to be a problem?

1. If you saw the situation developing, I would have warned the firend to leave him alone. If you didn't see anything till the actual bite, I think I'd have given him a sharp "ah-ah", and made him come to me and sit/stay, or something like that. If you didn't see anything till after it was over, I would, calmly as you can, call him over to you and make him do a sit stay. After a couple of minutes, or however long he can handle stay, release him to go lie down or go outside or something to defuse the situation.

2. What next? Your friend needs to be gently reminded how to be around dogs. She may be used to them but she's not very perceptive about handling them. She sounds like she's very "in-your-face" with Paddy, and while she means it affectionately, he doesn't always see it that way. With most all dogs and visitors of any species, human or otherwise, it is the owners responsibility to keep a sideways eye on what is going on with the dog and be ready to firmly intervene if a problem appears to be brewing, or if anyone is doing anything that could start a problem.

3. However much you see her, and Paddy has stayed with her, she is not, in Paddy's eyes, part of the "inner circle" of your family, so he's not going to tolerate the same things that he lets you and your family do. And I gather when you said he has stayed with her that it was at her house. This time he was on his own turf, in his own bed. Again, as others have said, she is too pushy with him, while she means well, he may feel a little crowded and overwhelmed. For example, you may be great friends with your next door neighbour, but you would never allow that person to kiss you in your bed or while you were doing something! We have to allow dogs to have some personal boundaries too, and enforce those boundaries around other people, much as you would for your own child.

Her daughter sees how her mother acts around Paddy and probably does the same to him, overwhelms him with affection. Also, if he is staying in someone elses home, he may be a little off balance and worried or stressed, which may make his behaviour less than sterling.

4. I don't think Paddy is inconsisent at all. As I said, it is our job as owners to protect our dogs personal boundaries as the only few means they have of doing it for themselves is growling and biting. (And never underestimate a dog, they do know what they are doing and how much jaw pressure to exert. If Paddy had truly meant harm, he would have done so. That was a very stern warning bite, and it may be hard to fathom, but he was showing a great deal of control in the situation. He went for her hand, not her face, and he put just enough pressure to get his message across loud and clear, since his first warning was ignored)

Do get the books recommended, they are excellent, and as well you may want to get "Canine Body Language" by Brenda Aloff.

I know it's very shocking when it happens, but when you pick it apart you can see a certain logic to it. I don't think theres anything "wrong" with Paddy, you just need to take into account that he can only be pushed so far and you need to intervene before that point is reached.

As far as your friend trusting him again, only you will know how to talk to her to get her to understand how to be around Paddy, and gently lead her toward her own realization that she caused the problem.

Now go give Paddy a big kiss  :luv: (Just make sure he's awake!  :005:)
The madhouse: Michelle, Joy, Jordie, Gizmo, Bracken, Jewel

"My darlings,I love you more than life itself, but you're all ****ing mad!"  Ozzy Osbourne

Offline CarolineL

• Site Member
« Reply #37 on: August 07, 2007, 08:25:06 AM »

When Ruby tries to snog people its usually affection but you can see in both my two when they lick other dogs faces that its usually appeasement or uncertainty

Hurley does this - and I thought it was a sign of him being friendly - however looking back on the situations he has been in when he is done this 'appeasement or uncertainty' are far more likely what he was trying to demonstrate  :-\
Caroline, Hurley the cocker, Jasper Cat and Little Mo xxxxx

"My name's not Hurley, it's Hugo Reyes. Hurley's just a nickname I have. Why?.... I'm not telling..."