Author Topic: bad day at the beach  (Read 3681 times)

Offline gayle1

• Site Member
Re: bad day at the beach
« Reply #15 on: October 08, 2007, 10:43:44 AM »
That post timed out.., sorry.
I wanted a dog that could walk with me, hike with me, run with me.., one with bags of energy that could fit in with my lifestyle. A small dog would not  have worked, a large dog would not have fitted into my house.
I regularly hike the cliffs around here, run on the beach, walk miles.., I have not done it much this summer for personal reasons and because Ella was far too young to be taken out for that long a walk/hike/run. I do not go to the gym I swim at the national olympic pool four times a week, thats it, but as I write I have to take other exercise or my backside will become the size of a small counrty and Ella was and is my companion on these long walks (will be by next spring/summer)
Of all the working dogs I have seen, Ella by far outshines them all in her energy and spirit, that may have been a surprise to me, yes, but it was not a 'shock' it did not disturb me, I did not think, 'oh god, what have I done?'
I have never thought of re-homing her, even after a terribly bad day. I do not really have expectations from her other than the norm. I never expected to be at this stage in her life and have a perfect dog, I expected the training to go on and on, I expected to work hard, I expected set backs. Perhaps the one thing I did not fully expect was how in such a short period of time this little dog could become my child number 4 in the emotions and feelings side of owning her and the panic I would experience when she took off the way she did yesterday.., nothing else mattered except getting her back to me, nothing, my heart was beating like mad and my stomach in a knot until I had hold of her again and even then I remembered the praise and treat and did not let go as I perhaps would have if one of my kids had taken off when small and use a harsh tone and scold. And before it is said to me.., yes, I do know there are fundamental differences between raising a child and owning a dog.... I do not want to be now accused of putting both together in the same box and closing the lid on them. 
On reflection, yes, maybe letting her off at the beach was asking a bit too much of her. But before the birds, Ella was returning to me even when she became obsessed slightly by a huskie-type dog and a black dog that she chased about for ages, she came back to me and that was a huge step ahead with Ella, that proved progress was taking place and it was so lovely to see her play and run that way but know she would return to me and the others as we walked along the beach. Today we will be back to the park on the long line with the treats and doing the recall, as we would have been anyway even if the birds incident had not happened and all went terrifically well yesterday.
I am sorry, but I am really mad with rachel and nicola for all their assumptions about myself and Ella and how we interact and did I know what I was doing having her.
I think I had better wind this up now as I am quite angry and do not want to cause a huge row.
I found this site and thought it was fantastic, not only a vent for frustration but some advice as well, also as I have become very dog focused since having her and it frankly bores others that do not have a spaniel when I go on and on.
Perhaps I have not been mentioning the many, many good things that have happened enough, the way I have taught her not to bark and jump up when I am cooking food, the way I have already got her to sit in her crate for a few minutes after only having it for a week, if that long. How she can lie down and roll over on command for fun, for a treat how we can tell her , 'give me a left' and she gives the left paw, 'give me a right' and she gives the right paw and gets a treat. How we have managed to get her to sit in the same room as our cat (on lead) and stop barking and yelping, the next stage will be getting them closer in the room together rather than far apart, its all stages and she is progressing. Maybe I have just been giving the problems over to you and not the progress.
gayle

Gayle & Ella (Sprocker)

Offline daunting

• Site Member
« Reply #16 on: October 08, 2007, 11:33:22 AM »
Gayle not really ideal i know but can't you let her off lead in the enclosed children's area in Parc Y Werin for a few min before and after the walk and work on recall there as well as doing long lead training, or use the one in Bont - Coed Bach Park, on Gwynfryn road, left before the main lights there.

Donna, *Tia*, Saffi, Max, Harley, Egan, Mia

http://hope-rescue.proboards.com/index.cgi

Offline Woody's Mum

• Site Member
  • ''The dog is the god of frolic''
« Reply #17 on: October 08, 2007, 11:47:11 AM »
I used to let Daisy off in a play area too when she was a pup. As long as you are scrupulous with cleaning after her I'm sure it will be fine.

I feel for you, she is a fabulous little dog with more energy that she knows what to do with at the moment. I'm sure if she could have taken off on Sunday she would have flown across the sea.

She WILL calm down eventually. You WILL be able to let her off the lead. And all this WILL be a distant memory.

Keep doing as you are doing. Get some good advice, keep training her and most of all keep loving her the way you and your children evidently do ... she is fab!
With Love, Toni & Woody xx

www.myspace.com/tonitee

Offline Ailsa

• Site Member
« Reply #18 on: October 08, 2007, 11:50:51 AM »
Gayle, I can fully sympathise with your predicament. OH and I were out walking Twix on Saturday and she behaved impeccably for the whole walk - answering to the whistle, staying close off lead, not running away after other dogs etc......until we we nearing the end of the walk and she just ran off towards the car (not the first time she has done this I have to admit, but I thought that I had worked through this particular problem!). Our car was parked on a busy road, so you can imagine how scary it was for us. Anyway, when we got there she was sitting quite happily next to the back of our car with a "what's the problem?" expression on her face!! It gave us a bit of a fright. Twix is a year and a half and is a rather lazy show spaniel, so I can fully understand how difficult it must be for you with an energetic, young working dog.

Hang on in there, Ella will start to get the message eventually!

Offline Steelygirl

• Site Member
« Reply #19 on: October 08, 2007, 11:52:15 AM »
Oh hun, don't know quite what to say! I guess you're feeling quite persecuted, but I'm sure that was no-one's intention on here at all.

I read that post and could tell it had been an awfully worrying experience, i can imagine (and have experienced) the sheer panic of your dog running off and no matter what wonderfully tasty treat you have in your hand / how much you jump up and down like a manic idiot, they are in their own little (and apparently deaf) world.... you DID do really well to praise her when she came back, and maybe quite a few of us would like you to do the "hey guys, guess what she did right today" posts (especially help those of us that are struggling to see light at the end of the tunnel!).

The humour thing, I didn't pick up on that either  ph34r , cos it seemed you went from a very negative post (not surprising given that you were probably still shaken up and emotional) to a funny one, and all i got was the neggie vibe, so please don't be too hard of us that thought you were really ashamed of you all looking wet in front of hunky bike, we just misread it (and maybe thats why you got some remarks that seem unfair) I guess all dog owners (with the exception of silly handbag dog women-no offence anyone out there!) get used to looking wet/silly/muddy/no end to the embarassment - its nice to know you felt that same way we do!  :005:

So PLEASE do keep updating us on Ella's progress, it seems despite the set back the training is working, and it'd be a shame if we lost you (and Ella) from COL

Love Steely x

Offline gayle1

• Site Member
« Reply #20 on: October 08, 2007, 12:17:45 PM »
Taking a break from COL for awhile.
Didn't feel so bad when I got up this morning but feeling terrible now. I have had too tough a year to deal with other's assumptions about me and my motives towards Ella.
I  have spent the majority of the morning in tears after anger subsided, even Ella has gone very quiet as I think she does not know what to do with me right now.
It is best, I think to delve a little deeper into people's circumstances and their positions on matters that mean a great deal to them (training a dog, only being one example) before you start posting things or saying things face to face that are totally wrong and end up causing a lot of upset. Had this all happened a year ago or a year from now, perhaps I would not be as sensitive to it or as upset by it.
I will continue on with Ella and I am sure we will work it all out just fine in the end.
gayle
Gayle & Ella (Sprocker)

Offline Cob-Web

• Inactive
  • To err is human, to forgive, canine
    • Walking on Wight Blog
« Reply #21 on: October 08, 2007, 12:48:30 PM »
maybe quite a few of us would like you to do the "hey guys, guess what she did right today" posts

It would certainly present a more balanced view of the situation, in order for responses to Gayles appeal for help to be kept in perspective  :-\ 

My advice was given on the basis of what Gayle had told us in her posts - and looking back, they are certainly full of frustration and disappointment in the lack of progress Ella is making, and lack feedback in relation to the suggestions made in terms of changing her diet and other ways to keep her occupied.

Pups do run off, they do dig the carpet, they do eat things they shouldn't and they do pee/poop and bark at the most inopportune times  :-\ Maybe I have misread Gayles posts and she is sharing these perfectly normal behaviours in order to "make conversation", rather than to seek advice on how to change them - but her appeal for help in this thread was clear; and advice was given on the basis of what was posted.  How can any advice given on a forum be anything else but restricted to the facts as presented?  :-\ 

If my advice is unacceptable because it does not take account of the full facts, but those facts were not made public, then I hardly think I can be singled out for criticism when I was offering the help that was asked for  :-\
Enrich your life with an Oldie!
Oldies Club

Offline Helen

• helen noakes jewellery
« Reply #22 on: October 08, 2007, 01:08:37 PM »
I too base my posts on the information given, that's all we really have to go off  :-\ and i really take these posts literally when it comes to behaviour etc so no, I don't see jokes when they have been written in conjunction with a post that I read as full of frustration and worry.

It's no-ones intention to upset or offend anyone here but do the best for all dogs/owners that have posted with their concerns...and in all honesty to me the posts sounded really desperate and that Gayle was at the end of her tether. 

We all write differently and interpret differently I guess.

helen & jarvis x

Offline Nicola

• FTCh Caoimhe
« Reply #23 on: October 08, 2007, 01:44:42 PM »
I too base my posts on the information given, that's all we really have to go off  :-\ and i really take these posts literally when it comes to behaviour etc so no, I don't see jokes when they have been written in conjunction with a post that I read as full of frustration and worry.

It's no-ones intention to upset or offend anyone here but do the best for all dogs/owners that have posted with their concerns...and in all honesty to me the posts sounded really desperate and that Gayle was at the end of her tether. 

We all write differently and interpret differently I guess.

Exactly, and as Rachel said as well. No, we don't know you, we only have what you post here to go on so frankly if you don't want to be given advice such as you got then then you need to either think about what you post or else post more background info that you want taken into consideration. In light of your posts and the information you gave I don't think any of the responses you got were unreasonable at all.

Do you really expect people on a forum to 'dive deeper' into the personal circumstances and home life of every person who posts asking for help/information about their dog and dog training??! You have made quite a few posts asking for help and saying that you're having bad days, don't know what to do etc. but you don't appear to like the responses you've had so I don't know if you are really just looking for sympathy rather than actual advice as you seem to find the advice you've been given upsetting  :huh:  If that's the case then it's up to you to point out that that's what you want when you post, not to expect others to know that. We all have things going on in our personal lives, I certainly do, but I don't expect others to know that or to specifically take it into account when I ask for advice about my dogs.

Nobody on here has said that you are looking for/need a lapdog or a 'dog to carry around in a handbag',the fact is that from your posts it sounds like you were finding it difficult to cope with the dog that you have and it was pointed out that this behaviour you are finding a problem can be expected from this type of dog. So I'm not sure why you're surprised/upset that people asked if you really knew what you were taking on. There are lots of medium sized energetic breeds and crosses out there which are not bred specifically to work as gundogs with all the issues that can entail which is the reason why I asked about your particular choice of breed.

Anyway, as the others have said, I didn't mean to cause offence either but tbh in light of the posts you made I don't see that any of the responses you got were particularly offensive but as Helen said, we all interpret things differently I guess.
Nicola, Tilly, Rodaidh and Caoimhe x

http://www.flickr.com/photos/30049807@N08/

Offline MrsMac

• Site Member
    • http://
« Reply #24 on: October 08, 2007, 11:49:56 PM »
My cocker Melody is nicknamed Mellycome because thats what I shouted (and I had to shout as she was locked into chasing the seagulls so she was quite far away and I'd left the whistle in the car  ::)) the day we had a COL mini meet up here in the Highlands.

Its something I'm constantly working on and we've made some progress but tbh I'm not overly concerned.  I think if you're stressed your dog is bound to pick up on it.  I know we will get there in the end and 90% of the time Melly's recall is fab  :luv:

Don't be too hard on yourself, it will all work out eventually  ;)
Mairi & Melody
Melody

Friends are the angels that lift us to our feet when our wings have trouble remembering how to fly

Offline dmulally

• Site Member
« Reply #25 on: October 09, 2007, 04:51:18 AM »

for a treat how we can tell her , 'give me a left' and she gives the left paw, 'give me a right' and she gives the right paw and gets a treat.

That is so cool. If I asked rommel for a left paw and would probably hold his left paw out and steal my wallet with his right.

And I took him on the train in a bag once and he got out and ran under all the seats of a packed train. Oh the joy.

Offline gayle1

• Site Member
« Reply #26 on: October 09, 2007, 09:54:09 AM »
You took him on a train in a bag?  :rofl1:
That is so funny.

I was at the park yesterday with a golden retriever and his owner said she was having problems with recall.., I said not a lot, as you can imagine after the 'I wish I could fly' incident at the beach, I just nodded and said, 'yes.., i understand that!'
She told me about classes held in a fenced in field on weekends not far from me where you can let your dog off lead safely and practice the recall thing so I guess I might go along and take a look at that. I was put off a bit by the word 'classes' but it seems that you get the basics on recall and are then left with your dog to do it. That sounds great for us because its what we need, to be left alone to just practice somewhere safe. A result then, once I have been up to have a look around.
gayle
Gayle & Ella (Sprocker)

Offline Ailsa

• Site Member
« Reply #27 on: October 09, 2007, 10:33:32 AM »
She told me about classes held in a fenced in field on weekends not far from me where you can let your dog off lead safely and practice the recall thing so I guess I might go along and take a look at that. I was put off a bit by the word 'classes' but it seems that you get the basics on recall and are then left with your dog to do it. That sounds great for us because its what we need, to be left alone to just practice somewhere safe. A result then, once I have been up to have a look around.
gayle

Sounds good - hope it works out for you.

Offline Helen

• helen noakes jewellery
« Reply #28 on: October 09, 2007, 10:34:41 AM »
me too...hope it works out.

curious as to why you don't like the idea of 'classes' though?
helen & jarvis x

Offline gayle1

• Site Member
« Reply #29 on: October 09, 2007, 11:30:36 AM »
Classes suggested to me you had to sign up and turn up at a set point, I swim on Sat mornings and my daughter trains also, its a commitment I/we can not get out of and that is when this lady said they were held.
I was looking for a bit of flexibility, evenings, any spare time you have, whenever you have perhaps had a rough few days and need to get back to that enclosed area when your timetable permits it and your dog needs it, thats all.
Dog classes, on the whole I find quite good fun, nothing against them. Ella loves them also and they are brilliant for the kids to go to, as sometimes, kids being kids do not listen to one thing you the parent has to say but will listen to a complete stranger.
gayle
Gayle & Ella (Sprocker)