Author Topic: Working cocker , advice please  (Read 3886 times)

Offline crazyspaniels

• Site Member
Re: Working cocker , advice please
« Reply #15 on: February 06, 2008, 05:30:48 PM »
I'm more saddened that it seems more working cockers (and some very young) are coming into rescue perhaps because people have underestimated them.... :'(

folks havent underestimated them, cockers are always coming into rescue as a breed, working cockers are just being pushed by the puppy farms etc so that folks buying a cocker are getting working cockers, they arent putting them into rescue because they are working cockers, they are not coping with cockers, which has been a problem for years as people treat them like lap dogs, spoil them and dont train them.

Freya and Cockers Bilbo and Dobbie, not forgetting the Springers Willow and Paddy

Offline Helen

• helen noakes jewellery
« Reply #16 on: February 06, 2008, 05:37:50 PM »

they arent putting them into rescue because they are working cockers, they are not coping with cockers, which has been a problem for years as people treat them like lap dogs, spoil them and dont train them.

which is why I think some col'ers are concerned when people get dogs that *may* be more than they bargained for....

helen & jarvis x

Offline Rhona W

• Site Member
« Reply #17 on: February 06, 2008, 05:48:36 PM »
I totally agree with crazyspaniels.  :D

As soon as working cockers are mentioned, it seems to be all warnings and forebodings of doom and gloom if you aren't out walking them all day every day. :dunno:

I have two working cockers and they are usually walked for between 1 - 2 hours a day. This could either be one long walk or two shorter ones; it's not set in stone. And sometimes, due to other commitments, they don't get a walk at all. They accept whatever they get. Whilst in the home, they are quite happy pottering about and spend most of the time sleeping.  :luv:
They are not destructive or bouncing off the walls, so I assume they are contented with their lot.  ;) 

Offline Cob-Web

• Inactive
  • To err is human, to forgive, canine
    • Walking on Wight Blog
« Reply #18 on: February 06, 2008, 06:26:55 PM »

they arent putting them into rescue because they are working cockers, they are not coping with cockers, which has been a problem for years as people treat them like lap dogs, spoil them and dont train them.

which is why I think some col'ers are concerned when people get dogs that *may* be more than they bargained for....

I suspect I am one of the members who is considered to put "the fear of god" into unprepared new members who have inadvertently bought a working strain cocker  :-\ 

My reasons? Because the "average" dog owners where I live don't give their dog 1-2 hours exercise per day with the occasional day off like Rhona gives her dogs  ;) Average owners in my area don't take their dog to training classes and learn how to set boundaries and train obedience, don't play games with them at home, don't accept that their kitchen will be chewed and their mobile phone destroyed, and don't, in many cases, treat their dogs "like dogs"  :-\  You won't meet these "average owners" at the places you regularly go with your dogs, you will meet them at the water cooler, or the school gate, or working in the corner shop - you may have known them for years, and suddenly find out that they "have a dog".....but their dog doesn't play the same role in their lives as your dog does in your life, and they may consider you slightly eccentric for the dedication and time you spend with yours  ;)

How do we know if a new owner to COL is an "average" owner, and is unprepared for ownership ?   If they are, then they need to learn, quick, about the potential of the dog they have bought.

Well bred working dogs are not selected for their ability to be pets - they are tools for a job; selectively bred for specific traits and skills.  Even the least "able" working-strain dog from a selectively bred litter will have much stronger instincts to work than a dog selectively bred for appearance (such as a show strain cocker). That is not my opinion, that is a biological fact which cannot be ignored. 

The unique demands of a working strain cocker spaniel are as significant in their own way as the grooming needs of a show strain; some show strain cockers have coats that matt at a glance and need hours of work, others have coats that need a quick brush every day (I have one of each)  ::) Similarly, a working strain dog may be easy-going and content to fit in, but may equally be demanding and become bored, destructive and distressed (as previous posts on COL evidence). 

When you take on a puppy, you don't know what you are going to get - and imo, it is best for a new, especially inexperienced owner, to prepare for all possibilities - for them to be aware of how their dog has been bred to behave, to gain the skills to train their dog, to read about how dogs think, learn about daycare/walking services in their area; so if they need them, then they already know where to turn and what to do  :-\ 

There is no point in waiting for a show strain cockers fur to become matted before they are sent to the groomers; brushing needs to become part of a daily routine from day one just in case the dog develops a high-maintenance coat (which is fairly likely with a show strain cocker).   imo, it is the same with working strains of dog - owners need to instil a routine of mental stimulation from an early age, in case their dog does become one which has a high working drive that needs channelling (which is fairly likely with a working strain dog)  ;)

FWIW - I do not limit this to working strain cockers; any breed that is selectively bred to work needs, imo, a more-than-average home  ;)
Enrich your life with an Oldie!
Oldies Club

Cazzie

« Reply #19 on: February 06, 2008, 06:35:34 PM »
Can I ask something please (something ive wondered) Why are certain breeds of dogs, such as Spaniels, Labs both having both show and working strains are they all classed under working breeds, when it is really not the case  :-\ Thanks  :D

Offline Rhona W

• Site Member
« Reply #20 on: February 06, 2008, 06:39:05 PM »
Can I ask something please (something ive wondered) Why are certain breeds of dogs, such as Spaniels, Labs both having both show and working strains are they all classed under working breeds, when it is really not the case  :-\ Thanks  :D

I thought they were classed as gun dogs. Or is that not what you meant? :dunno:

Cazzie

« Reply #21 on: February 06, 2008, 06:40:04 PM »

I thought they were classed as gun dogs. Or is that not what you meant? :dunno:

Yes I meant gun dogs, but isnt a gun dog a working dog  :-\ :005:  ::)

Offline Colin

• Administrator
  • Stevie
    • Jimmy Misty & Stevie Videos
« Reply #22 on: February 06, 2008, 06:40:36 PM »
Can we keep this thread on topic please.

Thanks.

Offline Rhona W

• Site Member
« Reply #23 on: February 06, 2008, 06:51:23 PM »
Because the "average" dog owners where I live don't give their dog 1-2 hours exercise per day with the occasional day off like Rhona gives her dogs  ;)

Average owners in my area don't take their dog to training classes and learn how to set boundaries and train obedience, don't play games with them at home, don't accept that their kitchen will be chewed and their mobile phone destroyed, and don't, in many cases, treat their dogs "like dogs"  :-\   

How do we know if a new owner to COL is an "average" owner, and is unprepared for ownership ?

But that is your definition of an 'average' dog owner based on your observations of an area of the IoW. As we have discussed before, it is not true of the average dog owner in my neighbourhood.  ;)

Perhaps warnings of high energy levels in working cockers could be phrased to say this 'may happen' rather than stated as a 'definitely will'. :dunno:

Offline Cob-Web

• Inactive
  • To err is human, to forgive, canine
    • Walking on Wight Blog
« Reply #24 on: February 06, 2008, 07:03:11 PM »
Perhaps warnings of high energy levels in working cockers could be phrased to say this 'may happen' rather than stated as a 'definitely will'. :dunno:

I haven't seen the term will - just the terms "....likely to...." and "....is bred to..." which is accurate. Better an owner be prepared and pleasantly surprised, than unprepared and unable to cope, imo  :-\

But that is your definition of an 'average' dog owner based on your observations of an area of the IoW. As we have discussed before, it is not true of the average dog owner in my neighbourhood.  ;)

Are you a member of any other forums, Rhona?  From the parenting and other pet forums I am an active member of it is clearly apparent that I am in the minority in terms of the time I dedicate to my dogs and their welfare; and they have membership from all over the UK  :-\   How many dogs (not puppies) appear in your local paper classified listings each week? Do you really think they are owned by people who have dedicated as much time as you do to their dogs, and then decide one day to advertise them in the paper using the phrase "...reluctant, genuine reason for sale..." ?  :-\

(Sorry Colin, this might be construed as OT  ph34r)
Enrich your life with an Oldie!
Oldies Club

Offline *jean*

• Donator
  • who need s pills when you have pals ?
« Reply #25 on: February 06, 2008, 07:15:21 PM »
my working cockers are lazy lumps in the house and ready to go out of it. ( I think its in the breeding I have seen some VERY hyper cockers.. maybe theyd calm down after a while being with mine..( sorika did .. she was nuts when she first came.. a change of diet helped no end as well.)
 they get one walk a day sometimes im out for hours sometimes its half an hour. I work shifts so I walk around them.
obviously in the longer days they get more as I can see where I am going  in the evening as I dont walk mine in the dark.
my dogs are not hyper. but they are fit. walks are usually all off lead.
 also be careful about over excersising pups.. it doesnt do their hips/ knees/elbows any good.  years ago my freinds springer pup broke its leg playing with my pup in the back garden, they are half sisters. mine was walked little and often hers was marched for miles from day 1. I still think it weakened the leg somehow.. maybe not? Im no vet but It was way too much for a pup.

Offline kirklou

• Site Member
« Reply #26 on: February 06, 2008, 07:29:06 PM »

As soon as working cockers are mentioned, it seems to be all warnings and forebodings of doom and gloom if you aren't out walking them all day every day. :dunno:

I have two working cockers and they are usually walked for between 1 - 2 hours a day. This could either be one long walk or two shorter ones; it's not set in stone. And sometimes, due to other commitments, they don't get a walk at all. They accept whatever they get. Whilst in the home, they are quite happy pottering about and spend most of the time sleeping.  :luv:
They are not destructive or bouncing off the walls, so I assume they are contented with their lot.  ;) 

i agree with you and crazyspaniels - i have a sprocker working cocker/springer and jester get lovely long walks in the meadows at the weekend but during the week he gets an hour a day but on the odd occasion i cant get him out he is fine - it is what he is used to and he is no more hyper than when he gets hours in the meadows - he sleeps from 7pm onwards all through the night and when i am at work he has his toys and the run of the garden but is content looking out the window (cos he is always there when i get home) regardless of time - being part springer you would think he would be even more active than a working cocker but he has enough exercise or he would not be so calm (not always calm may i say) but most of time!!

Offline ali

• Site Member
« Reply #27 on: February 07, 2008, 02:59:43 PM »

i've just re-read this thread and i don't think that's the case at all in this instance, but maybe i'm missing something?

i think pretty much all of us with working cockers who responded said that they obviously vary but in our experience this is how much exercise our particular dog thrives on. it is good to hear from other members whose dogs don't require all that much but isn't it important for new owners to be prepared to have a worker, or indeed a show-type, that might need more than an hour's walking a day (as mine definitely does- if he has a day when he hasn't gone out by lunchtime he is absolutely frantic at home).
'my goal in life is to be as good a person as my dog already thinks i am'

Offline Ailsa

• Site Member
« Reply #28 on: February 07, 2008, 05:00:10 PM »
I think that what everyone is basically saying Amelie is that you need to work out your own dog's needs - they can usually be pretty adaptable to your routine, but they will let you know if they are not getting enough exercise by misbehaving, being restless etc.

Don't worry about it - that's the main thing - and just enjoy your gorgeous wee dog!  :blink:

I have always had show cockers, but no two are the same - and I am show the same can be said for working type cockers. Twix is a lazy wee girl, while Jess my last dog loved climbing mountains and would have done it on a daily basis!  :005:

Offline kalami

• Site Member
« Reply #29 on: February 07, 2008, 05:00:48 PM »

with games, barkley's favourite by far is hide and seek with toys. we get him to sit and stay, hide a toy and tell him to 'find it' and he's as happy as larry searching the house. :) games like this are great for a dog that likes to think and seek things out, which workers often do.

This is Bellas favorite too - she loves it.