Author Topic: Working cocker , advice please  (Read 3886 times)

Offline speedyjaney

• Site Member
Re: Working cocker , advice please
« Reply #30 on: February 07, 2008, 05:39:58 PM »
I have a show cocker and friend used to have a working cocker.

Their dog was a bit mad and could run and run and run on walks......he was neutered by the local gamekeeper and sold on as he was deaf and couldn't be used on the shoots.

They trained him using hand signals and he became a wonderful family pet. Although recall was a hard one for him  ph34r

Any back to topic - when we walked them together (Jessie and their dog) jessie could keep up with him and she also ran and ran and ran. In the house he was a lazy bones and would lounge around loads (as would Jessie) but when out he was a livewire and so was she. :005:

I am saying that show cockers can be as demanding as working cockers on the exercise front. She will go for as far and as long as we take her...

Jessie is now 4 and half and has chilled out so much and a 30 min walk will do her (or no walk some days  ph34r) as long as we spend some time playing/training her, if her brain is used she rests well!

My friends dog hasn't really chilled out the same...he still needs a good run every day whatever the weather or some thinking games and training to tire him out and more than Jessie needs.....but he isn't the hard work some working cockers tend to be (as described on here). My friends are pretty average gundog owners having an elderly springer too as a pet.....so maybe above average dog owners ? :huh:

I am a below average owner at times too as there are days when my dogs don't get a walk or much stimulation.....but thats life and mine is busy!!...I do my best and i do have 2 well adjusted pets who are a joy!!! (But who bark a bit too much)

We have worked out what our poches need and when they were pups we had to devote more time....and I expect thats why they are lovely doggies now  :luv:

Offline Lee67

• Site Member
Re: Working cocker , advice please
« Reply #31 on: February 07, 2008, 05:54:52 PM »
I think that what everyone is basically saying Amelie is that you need to work out your own dog's needs - they can usually be pretty adaptable to your routine, but they will let you know if they are not getting enough exercise by misbehaving, being restless etc.

Don't worry about it - that's the main thing - and just enjoy your gorgeous wee dog!  :blink:

Well said!

My working cocker gets the majority of her exercise every morning by playing with her playmates which included a staffy, a springer, a boxer, a lab and a dachshund, (the dachshund doesn't play ::)).
All us doggie mums walk and chat and all the dogs run round and play, everyones happy.
But if we miss playtime Poppy is just as happy walking round the houses for 45 mins.
As others have said hide and seek is brilliant, one of Poppy's fav things is when I put a toy inside another toy, like putting a rubber tyre over a ball then she has to separate them.
We also have a homemade mini agility course but that's for the over 12 months only.
With all that's been said about working cockers with high energy levels, Poppy loves nothing more than cuddling on the sofa...at anytime day or night... :luv:

Like Ailsa said...enjoy your dog... ;)
Lee & Poppy xx