Author Topic: Just done a T Touch workshop  (Read 2812 times)

Offline clairep4

• Site Member
  • The Two Muppeteers!
    • Chow Bella Pet Bowls
Just done a T Touch workshop
« on: March 16, 2008, 10:49:30 AM »
I took Bella on a one-day T Touch workshop yesterday to learn how to do it a bit more properly (as I've just been working from books until now). It was a really lovely day - 5 of us with our dogs (a mini poodle, a greyhound, a lab and an old collie plus Bella). All the dogs had different issues, some were rescues who had been really badly treated, one had really bad separation anxiety, so a real mix. It was a really relaxed day, you had to learn how to do the basic touches by practising on each other, then we went outside with the dogs to watch them walking, standing and sitting to try and pick up areas of tension (eg are they stiff in the hips, do they stand with their weight more on one side to the other, how do they hold their tails etc). Then we did a flat hand assessment to pick up things like hotspots on the body or areas where they don't like to be touched (Bella's fine with everything apart from her front legs, and she tends to stand so that she ends up with tension in her shoulders).

After that we started doing t touches on our dogs and it was amazing seeing them all just really chill out - the greyhound ended up flat out on her side and the lab ended up lounging on top of her. The collie wound up snoring on the floor, the poodle (which had been trembling in fear before) curled up and went to sleep and Bella just sat there with her eyes shut and her head dropping lower and lower.  :luv:

We did a bit of leading work in the afternoon (dealing with things like them pulling on the lead) and then body wraps (which they describe as a "portable hug"  :D) and a bit of work on their tails.

The trainer (Toni Shelbourne) was fab, really well informed and lots of suggestions for treating different problems.

Bella did her best to upstage everyone - there were times where you were doing stuff where you couldn't hold onto your dog and every time that happened, Bella would head off doing a round of the room, checking out bags, nicking biscuit wrappers and trying to reach biscuits off the counter  :lol2: ::) - thankfully everyone just seemed to find it very endearing. At one point she was doing her best begging face at the trainer and she said to her "yes Bella, you are VERY pretty, but I've been working with dogs for 20 years and I know what you're like and you can't have any of my biscuit."  :lol2:

Anyway I've come home feeling much more confident about doing bits of T Touch on our two and am planning to start on Zorro from today (I have a bodywrap now as well which I think will be really good for him as he's quite an anxious boy).

I'm hoping to start training as a practitioner in the Autumn - can't wait!
Claire, Bella & Zorro - the two muppeteers!
Tellington TTouch Practitioner P1
www.tellingtontouch.org.uk

Cazzie

Re: Just done a T Touch workshop
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2008, 10:55:00 AM »
How fantastic  :shades: Sounds tremendous, im hoping to do a workshop sometime in the future and reading your post has been helpful thanks for that  :shades:

Offline PennyB

« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2008, 11:09:13 AM »
Bella did her best to upstage everyone - there were times where you were doing stuff where you couldn't hold onto your dog and every time that happened, Bella would head off doing a round of the room, checking out bags, nicking biscuit wrappers and trying to reach biscuits off the counter  :lol2: ::) - thankfully everyone just seemed to find it very endearing. At one point she was doing her best begging face at the trainer and she said to her "yes Bella, you are VERY pretty, but I've been working with dogs for 20 years and I know what you're like and you can't have any of my biscuit."  :lol2:

It must be a cocker thing --- Ruby was the same when I took her on a TTouch  workshop before Christmas. When everyone was chilling out she wanted to play and kept doing play bows ::)

A friend of mine, also a Penny, is sometimes at Toni's workshops as she's also training to be a practitioner
Friends of Hailey Park
Four Paws Animal Rescue (South Wales)

Cockers are just hooligans in cute clothing!

Offline clairep4

• Site Member
  • The Two Muppeteers!
    • Chow Bella Pet Bowls
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2008, 02:21:13 PM »
Penny Wollen was helping yesterday, is that the one? She seemed very nice.

Offline Joules

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2008, 03:09:23 PM »
Oooh, that sounds fab Claire - where did you do the course?  :D  Do you think it works for separation issues?  :-\
Julie and Watson

Offline clairep4

• Site Member
  • The Two Muppeteers!
    • Chow Bella Pet Bowls
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2008, 09:07:30 PM »
I did it down near farnham but if you go to the ttouch website (ttouchteam.co.uk) they have a list of all the workshops. The poodle who was there had SA & although obviously that's a really hard one to solve, I'm sure ttouch could help as it can make them feel much more secure in themselves. I'm doing work on Zorro as although nothing has ever happened to set off his anxiety he carries himself in quite a submissive way, tail very tight & tucked under & he's always been that way. I'm hoping if I can loosen that end up a bit he may start to feel more confident. I did some on him today & he found it quite hard so I had to go very easy, but not long after, I'd asked him to sit & hadn't given a treat so he threw himself into a down. He's never ever tried that before, experimenting to see if another move would produce a treat. Bella does stuff like that all the time but Zorro seems to never be brave enough to try something different so that was quite a surprise. I think it can do amazing things!

Offline Jan/Billy

• Site Member
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2008, 09:10:55 PM »
wow sounds good!  :D

So we all know where to come in autumn then  :lol2: ;)

Offline cdpops

• Site Member
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2008, 09:15:07 PM »
 Hi Claire
Sounds like you had a great day. Glad you enjoyed it.

can you go without your dog? I would love to do a workshop, but don't think Charlie would cope.

Offline clairep4

• Site Member
  • The Two Muppeteers!
    • Chow Bella Pet Bowls
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2008, 09:31:08 PM »
I think you can go without your dog, I don't think Zorro would have coped with it very well. It does say when you apply that practise dogs need to be relatively okay to be able to deal with it and it's not obligatory to take one with you.

Offline Penelope

• Site Member
« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2008, 10:17:24 PM »
My cousin is trained in this and uses it on her horse.  When we went to stay with her, she did it on Josie and it was pretty amazing.  She uses it on her own dogs and it really does work. 
Next time I go maybe I will ask her to show me some of the techniques - she swears by it for horses.
Penny,   Dexter (cavalier x poodle), Alfie (Whippet cross)  and  Maximus the cocker spaniel!!

RIP my 2 most gorgeous cocker girls - Buffy and Harriet - both waiting for me at the bridge. Joined by my beloved Josie taken too soon and Suki aged 13 :(

Offline LurcherGirl

• Site Member
    • Wagging Tails Dog Training
« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2008, 11:16:09 PM »
Our dogs get TTouch every so often, and I am really lucky to have a friend who is a practitioner. In fact, she was here on Friday to work on two of our dogs... I myself can do a little bit, but am not proficient enough to spot any issues really. That's why I usually call Jacquit to do the work herself. Here's some pictures... Our dogs absolutely love it and it helps greatly with various issues. Jesse of course had to make sure to be in as many pictures as possible too eventhough he wasn't treated...  :005:

And they're all competing for attention...

And all ttouched out...
Vera Marney
BSc (Hons) Canine Behaviour and Training, APDT UK
www.wtdt.co.uk and www.wtdt-eastanglia.co.uk

Offline Top Barks

• Site Member
    • http://www.topbarks.co.uk
« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2008, 10:03:05 AM »
 It almost sent me to sleep just watching the expressions on Flash and dyllans faces
They look sooooo chilled.
mark

Mark Sanderson BSc Hons (canine behaviour), FdSc CBT, CAP 1, CAP 2
Member of The Association Of Pet Dog Trainers (00977)

Check out my website http://www.topbarks.co.uk/  www.yorkdogtrainer.co.uk

Offline cdpops

• Site Member
« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2008, 11:27:18 AM »
Oh I looked on the site, they are doing a session at a dogs trust not far from me, and you don't take your dog, that sounds perfect. Need to check my rota at work and them I will try and book a place. Thanks for the help Claire.

Offline clairep4

• Site Member
  • The Two Muppeteers!
    • Chow Bella Pet Bowls
« Reply #13 on: March 18, 2008, 12:10:29 PM »
I got confirmation yesterday that I'm on the September course for the first practitioner training week - hurray!

I was doing some on Bella last night - will have to make a film of it, she is in seventh heaven, eyes rolling, totally blissed out... I had the doggie relaxation CD on as well to get Zorro to chill out while I worked on Bella - Ali asked if I'd had scented candles on for them as well!  :lol2: :lol2:

Offline PennyB

« Reply #14 on: March 18, 2008, 02:15:09 PM »
Penny Wollen was helping yesterday, is that the one? She seemed very nice.

No Penny Baker is her name
Friends of Hailey Park
Four Paws Animal Rescue (South Wales)

Cockers are just hooligans in cute clothing!