Author Topic: Feeding Rituals, Does Yours Do It?  (Read 3495 times)

Offline Magic Star

• Site Member
Feeding Rituals, Does Yours Do It?
« on: March 28, 2008, 09:30:17 AM »
Indie has a quirky little thing that she does with her dinner. 

She gets fed her kibble in the kitchen, she always takes the first two pieces of kibble into the living room one by one and eats them, before coming back to her bowl and eating the lot :005:    If she can't get into the living room (if the door is shut, she won't eat her dinner until she can take the two pieces of kibble in there to eat :005:)  Its so bizarre to watch, I just wondered why she does this and if anyone elses dogs have any little rituals they do before eating.

Offline *Lucy*

• Site Member
Re: Feeding Rituals, Does Yours Do It?
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2008, 09:34:13 AM »
Yeah, Molly does this!! Always bring her first mouthful into the living room  ::)

Honey however just wolfs it all down!!

My Girls - Molly & Honey

Offline Annette

• Site Member
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2008, 09:35:06 AM »
Buddy's ritual is to inhale his food as quickly as he can then have a good look around to see if there's any more ph34r

Indie's ritual is so sweet, but I have no idea why.

Does she seem relaxed or stressed as she does it?

Offline *Theresa*

• Donator
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2008, 09:37:25 AM »
Ou ritual is not like that, ours is just get stuck in and eat it all fast as possible then 10 minutes later make out to the other hooman you've not been fed for years.  :005: :005:
Theresa, Dave, Glen and Sally (or their aliases Gwendoline and Scallywag)

Offline Joules

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2008, 09:38:10 AM »
Coco has BARF and I feed her outside - If she has a mixture of stuff, she always takes anything with a bone out of the bowl and puts it on the stones on the patio, comes back and eats the mince or whatever and they goes back to eat the bones.  ::)  I have tried to discourage this as I was worried she would bite on a stone at the same time but she persists so I have given up!  ::) :005:
Julie and Watson

Offline Magic Star

• Site Member
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2008, 09:43:09 AM »
Does she seem relaxed or stressed as she does it?

Shes very relaxed about it, its as if shes having a taste to make sure its suitable for her pallette :005:  If the living room door is shut, she will just stand there looking at it, until it gets opened, then off she goes, taking one kibble in, eats it, cames back, gets another one, takes in the LR then comes back and eats the lot :lol2:

P'haps its the doggy form of fine wine tasting :lol2:

Offline Saffaroo

• Donator
  • both my girls safely at the bridge xx
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2008, 09:48:04 AM »
Both Saffy and Shelley have kibble and perhaps a few veggies for their main meal.  Whilst this is being prepared, Saffy howls and Shelley does repeated pirouettes ::)  Then, when I am ready to serve they both sit on command before being let loose on their bowls  ph34r...'tis a sight to behold.........we timed them once and after 12 seconds both dishes were empty !!! :o  then, and this is really sweet, they check one another's dish just to see if anything may have been missed :lol: :lol: :lol:  as if........................

Dillon the Cavvie
Saffy dog 22.5.2000 - 4.12.2012
Shelley boo 25.3.2005 - 19.7.2011

Offline bibathediva

• Site Member
  • SMILE
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2008, 09:49:58 AM »

Lola also does this...she takes a few bits of kibble ..moves away from the bowl..places them on the floor..eats them then gets on with the rest of her dinner  :-\...theres nowt as strange as dogs  :005:

Offline Scootysmum

• Site Member
  • Scoots, mum Molly and sis Daisy on 3rd b-day!
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2008, 09:53:59 AM »
Scooter is another "wolfer" - I don't think he's ever left a morsel of anything in his bowl...once scoffed, he starts whimpering, hunts around for a suitable soft toy, carries it around a bit (whilst whining), places it carefully down and "howls" over it.....hilarious to watch - I think he's telling his "babies" about the lovely dinner he's just had!  :005:  :luv:

He is affectionately known as the "fridge magnet" as he is always there when the door opens!

Offline clairep4

• Site Member
  • The Two Muppeteers!
    • Chow Bella Pet Bowls
« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2008, 11:06:40 AM »
Mine are both on Barf so just wolf it down as fast as possible! They're fed outside and Zorro usually takes his boney meals to one particular spot in the garden and Bella stays on the decking.

When he was tiny and it was winter we fed him inside, and he'd have two chicken wings, and would take one to his basket and leave the other in the bowl, then have this dilemma over what to do because somebody might want to steal the wing in the bowl  ph34r (Bella was fed outside and couldn't get in so it was all in his noddle  ::)). So he'd leave the wing in the basket and run back to his bowl grumbling, then think "oh s**t, the one in my basket!!!" and leg it back to his basket, then back to his bowl etc etc. Eventually he realised that if he just ate both wings by his bowl he'd be okay...  ::) :lol2: :luv:
Claire, Bella & Zorro - the two muppeteers!
Tellington TTouch Practitioner P1
www.tellingtontouch.org.uk

Offline jools

• Site Member
« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2008, 11:21:12 AM »
Poppy does this too. Both of mine are on a dry food / BARF diet. If they're having just Burns, she comes walking through eating the first mouthful and then goes back for the rest. If I mix something like a wee bit of sardine with her kibble, she licks the good stuff off the kibble and spits the kibble onto the floor....and then eats the at the end.  :005:

Bramble does the whole inhalation of food thing.  :lol2:
With love from Julie, Bramble Poppy and Coco xxx

Offline Linz13

• Site Member
  • To understand a cocker, you need to be a cocker!
« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2008, 12:29:18 PM »
My two always come through to the living room chewing, then, they look at me and OH, and wander back into the kitchen and keep eating!
Linz, Murphy & Maddi x

Offline JoanneM

• Site Member
« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2008, 12:49:33 PM »
Murphy takes his first mouthful of kibble and drops it on the kitchen floor - eats the rest from the bowl and then eats the stuff he's dropped. 

Offline Ailsa

• Site Member
« Reply #13 on: March 28, 2008, 01:04:48 PM »
Twix gets a handful of kibble in the morning and her proper dinner at night. At night she just wolfs the lot down, but in the morning she takes one or two pieces into the livingroom and eats them there. Very odd because I am usually in the kitchen when she does it so it is not as if she is looking for company!

Offline WADEY

• Site Member
  • Roxy, Rizzo and Me
« Reply #14 on: March 28, 2008, 01:08:42 PM »
Roxy always places her nose on the opposite side of the bowl and just uses's her tongue too scoop the food in her mouth! It is as if she don't like the smell or doesn't want too dirty her ears as she does this with her water bowl too. Rizzo eats hers in seconds of it being but down and always burps after!
Laura
Laura owned by Roxy and Rizzo