Author Topic: Aggressive cocker .....am now despairing  (Read 3784 times)

Offline patti

• Site Member
Aggressive cocker .....am now despairing
« on: June 06, 2008, 05:42:24 PM »
Some of you may remember that 12 months ago, I got in touch because a stand-in vet had suggested I think about having Bailey (male blue roan cocker, now nearly 7 years old) put to sleep.  I was devastated and received great support and advice from the forum.  We worked really hard, introducing clicker training and I felt we were making a little bit of progress. We have previously seen 2 behaviourists, had a full medical from our regular vet and discovered Bailey does have various ailments.  I now feel we are back to square one and I have no idea why.  At the moment, I am extremely upset because Bailey has snapped at a family friend who he has known for a while and absolutely adores him.  My teenage son refuses to take him out any more because he is so unpredictable.  He does wear a muzzle when he is loose in the field but he is now also being aggressive to visitors.  The thing I find so scary is that he is can be happily playing, fussing people or dogs and then that's it. He just flips without warning.  I am really worried about it.  Any advice?

Offline JaspersMum

• Donator
Re: Aggressive cocker .....am now despairing
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2008, 06:06:23 PM »
No advice but just to say how sorry that things seem back to square one, hope someone more experienced can offer some more advice to you  :-*

Jenny - owned by Jasper, Ellie, Heidi, Louie & Charlie

Offline Karma

• Site Member
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2008, 06:09:38 PM »

How recently has he seen the vet? - you said he does have various ailments - could these be suddenly causing him more problems??  :huh:

I wish I could offer more advice, but I think you need advice from people more experienced than me.  So sorry you are struggling after all the work you have been putting in!

Remembering Honey. Aug 2007-July 2020

Offline mharriss

« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2008, 06:10:25 PM »
I am sorry I dont have any either.  I am really sorry that you feel like you are back to square one sounds like you made such head-way.  Have you got him checked out by the vet recently to see if he might be porrly and just feeling under the weather?????  Good luck with it all.

Offline Cob-Web

• Inactive
  • To err is human, to forgive, canine
    • Walking on Wight Blog
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2008, 06:21:44 PM »
Living with a reactive dog is very stressful - but try to keep the positives at the front of your mind as much as you can.

If Bailey snapped but did not bite your friend, then this is a good sign that your dog has a reasonable level of self control - he could have bitten her but didn't and gave her a warning, possibly because he knew her and whatever triggered his response was less threatening because she did it. 

Did the behaviourists identify the triggers that Bailey was reacting too? If he is reacting in the home to visitors when he didn't before, and he is given a clean bill of health, then it may be worth another consultation with the behaviourist to establish what has changed and what new things he is reacting too. You refer to his behaviour as "flips" - what do you mean; does he growl, snarl, lung or has he actually bitten someone without warning?

In the mean time, it would probably be a good idea to keep him away from visitors, or keep him muzzled when they visit, and when you take him out, too.  I agree with your son, though - if he is not confident with Bailey, them that will transmit down the lead and make Bailey more nervous and more reactive.  A no-nonsense, calm handler can make a great deal of difference to the behaviour of a reactive dog  ;)
Enrich your life with an Oldie!
Oldies Club

Offline patti

• Site Member
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2008, 06:33:12 PM »
When he first began being aggressive (aged 3 1/2) the vet gave him a full check.  We discovered the start of athritis in his joints and he had clearly been in pain but we didn't know.  He is treated for this every 3 months.  He also regularly gets ear infections.  Our vet is wonderful.  We see her regularly.  She has been extremely supportive which has been great because since Baileys behaviour changed, so many people have the 'blame the owner' 'lacks training' 'need to sort that dog' opinion.  Our vet knows that we have tried really hard with Bailey. 
The aggression used to be a nasty, warning bark.  Last year, he began snapping and lunging. Over the summer and autumn last year, when I felt we were making progress, he still barked aggressively but did not snap at anybody providing they did not approach him to stroke him.  Over the last few weeks, he has become more unpredictable and the snapping is worse.  I fear that it could easily develop to a bite.  We try not to put him in stressful situations but as I have got children, our house is a very busy one with people coming and going.  I am not always home when my son's friends call and I worry that he will bite.
I will probably feel more positive tomorrow but at the moment I just don't know what to do. 

Offline Sarah.H

• Site Member
  • charlie
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2008, 07:00:10 PM »
Sorry I haven't got any advice for you, what a horrible position for you all. Do you think he's snapping because of the pain from arthritis and ear infections?

Millie

Offline patti

• Site Member
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2008, 07:07:33 PM »
I think the pain from the undetected athritis is what triggered the change in his behaviour but at the moment he is not in pain from his ears or athrititis. He is happy for me to examine his ears and lift his legs which he never lets us do when it hurts.
When he is at home and it's just family in the house, he is adorable.  I wish we could overcome this aggressiveness.  I am so scared he is going to bite.

Offline Cob-Web

• Inactive
    • Walking on Wight Blog
« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2008, 07:17:24 PM »
Patti - I know it is hard, but from your description he really doesn't sound an aggressive dog - he is reactive, but you have clearly taught him well and he has stopped short of biting so far. Try to think of him as sensitive, or reactive - but compared to other dogs I know and have owned myself, he does not sound aggressive, just sensitive to triggers  ;)

You are right to be concerned; and you will have to make a decision as a family as to how you manage this behaviour.  Living with a reactive dog is a way of life - but it can be managed with closed doors, baby gates and heightened awareness of the risks. Only your family can decide what is right for you; but a behaviourist will be the best person to advise you.

Try reading "The Culture Clash" by Jean Donaldson - this will give you a better understanding of Baileys behaviour and the way he thinks  ;)
Oldies Club

Offline beepee

• Limited Member
« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2008, 08:33:06 PM »
I know this is controversial but I wonder what colour he is. I used to have a golden cocker and she would suddenly go into one. Vet reckoned it was the colour and was quite adamant that golden cockers were recognised as being susceptible to what he called "cocker rage".
Light travels faster than sound. That is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

Offline CarolineL

• Site Member
« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2008, 08:37:10 PM »
yes, it is extremely controversial  ;) ;). Rage is sooooooo rare it is highly unlikely that this cocker is suffering from Rage - indeed if it was rage as I understand it, the dog would be biting, not snapping.

Aggression is such a complex behaviour that could have any number of triggers. Getting a behaviourist in to UNDERSTAND where these triggers lie is the way to finding the root of the problem.
Caroline, Hurley the cocker, Jasper Cat and Little Mo xxxxx

"My name's not Hurley, it's Hugo Reyes. Hurley's just a nickname I have. Why?.... I'm not telling..."

Offline bibathediva

• Site Member
  • SMILE
« Reply #11 on: June 06, 2008, 08:40:22 PM »

I know this is controversial but I wonder what colour he is. I used to have a golden cocker and she would suddenly go into one. Vet reckoned it was the colour and was quite adamant that golden cockers were recognised as being susceptible to what he called "cocker rage".

::)  ::)  ...as stated in her first post he is a blue roan...colour really doesnt come into it IMO  ;)

Offline Cob-Web

• Inactive
    • Walking on Wight Blog
« Reply #12 on: June 06, 2008, 08:44:24 PM »

You are clearly aware of the issues surrounding Rage; it is a shame that it is still linked to golden cockers and not presented in a more balanced and accurate way......Rage is rare, affects a range of breeds and Baileys behaviour does not, in any way, fit the profile of a dog affected by this condition  :-\

http://www.cockerspanielrage.org.uk/whatisrage.htm
Oldies Club

Offline Karma

• Site Member
« Reply #13 on: June 06, 2008, 09:32:13 PM »

Just a thought - if he has arthritis he may get occassional bursts of pain... I have arthirits in my hip and sometimes it aches all the time, but other times I get very short but intense shooting pain - at times it is enough for my leg to give way, but only ever lasts about a second....
Don't know whether this would be similar for dogs...   :huh:
Remembering Honey. Aug 2007-July 2020

Offline ludo

• Site Member
  • Enya
    • Shirepark Cockers
« Reply #14 on: June 06, 2008, 10:10:55 PM »
that would make sense Karma but so would the advice about him being reactive to triggers which I guess is where the advice of a behaviourist could help - why don't you pm Top Barks to see if he could recommend someone?  He is very helpful imo.  :blink:

It might be with his pain that when it is not at its worse it isn't immediately apparent that he is in pain and as karma says it could be aching/bursts of pain rather than acute pain - the vet should be able to advise. 

I do hope you will find a way of managing the situation which will take some of the worry away for you - btw never mind all those folk who make comments about lack of training etc., there is always someone who thinks they know best based on very few facts  >:( - they are best ignored.  ph34r  Best of luck with this and let us know how you go.  ;)
http:www.shireparkcockers.co.uk