Author Topic: Aggressive cocker .....am now despairing  (Read 3783 times)

Offline Top Barks

• Site Member
    • http://www.topbarks.co.uk
Re: Aggressive cocker .....am now despairing
« Reply #30 on: June 09, 2008, 09:50:23 PM »
Well, I'm glad you got your crossed wires uncrossed! I have found everybody's comments really useful and every time I look at Bailey and think of him being put to sleep, I cry.  I adore him and will do anything to avoid that happening.  Ideally, re homing him would be for the best but I don't know how I go about that.  Part of me feels that by even thinking of this I am letting him down but realistically I know that myself and my family have done everything we can.  I know that we can't carry on like this or we'll go mad. We've had a good day today. We haven't had any visitors and we didn't see another dog or human when we were having our walks.  If only every day could be like today.!

Where are you Patti?

Mark Sanderson BSc Hons (canine behaviour), FdSc CBT, CAP 1, CAP 2
Member of The Association Of Pet Dog Trainers (00977)

Check out my website http://www.topbarks.co.uk/  www.yorkdogtrainer.co.uk

Offline Roslyn McConnell

« Reply #31 on: June 10, 2008, 10:55:49 AM »
U poor thing, this must be so stressfull for you and u clearly love him very much to put in so much effort.

But I was interested to hear that he has early onset set of arthritis, he was 3 1/2 when it started was that right? I did my masters in the genetics of human arthritis and Im doing a PhD in human osteoporosis and altho I mainly deal with the common 'age-related' forms I know that there are rare forms which can occur at a young age. Usually these rare forms are linked with other 'age-related' diseases so the subject is basically aging at an accelerated rate. Do you think he may be suffering from some sort senility? Its just you said he suddenly taking a step backbards and has snapped at someone who he knew and was previously fond off? It could be possible that he simply forgot that he knew them, plus it is common for people suffering from this to become increasingly violent as they become more and more confused, although this varies very much between different people, I wonder if it would be the same for dogs? I have certainly heard of dogs becoming senile before.

It is probably just a behavioural issue but u seem to be getting lots of help and putting in a tremendous effort and if it isn't working then this is perhaps food for thought. Im sure if this was the case there would be medication you could use. What ever the problem turns out to be, it's not your fault so please don't take any notice of the tut tut's when you are out walking him, the truth is, if he didn't have such a caring owner he would be a million times worse! You are doing a great job!!!! ;) 

Offline Top Barks

• Site Member
« Reply #32 on: June 10, 2008, 11:39:30 AM »
U poor thing, this must be so stressfull for you and u clearly love him very much to put in so much effort.

But I was interested to hear that he has early onset set of arthritis, he was 3 1/2 when it started was that right? I did my masters in the genetics of human arthritis and Im doing a PhD in human osteoporosis and altho I mainly deal with the common 'age-related' forms I know that there are rare forms which can occur at a young age. Usually these rare forms are linked with other 'age-related' diseases so the subject is basically aging at an accelerated rate. Do you think he may be suffering from some sort senility? Its just you said he suddenly taking a step backbards and has snapped at someone who he knew and was previously fond off? It could be possible that he simply forgot that he knew them, plus it is common for people suffering from this to become increasingly violent as they become more and more confused, although this varies very much between different people, I wonder if it would be the same for dogs? I have certainly heard of dogs becoming senile before.

It is probably just a behavioural issue but u seem to be getting lots of help and putting in a tremendous effort and if it isn't working then this is perhaps food for thought. Im sure if this was the case there would be medication you could use. What ever the problem turns out to be, it's not your fault so please don't take any notice of the tut tut's when you are out walking him, the truth is, if he didn't have such a caring owner he would be a million times worse! You are doing a great job!!!! ;) 

Interesting to hear you bring up senility as one of my first thoughts was cognitive disfunction.

Offline patti

• Site Member
« Reply #33 on: June 10, 2008, 03:33:37 PM »
We are near Huddersfield, West Yorks.  Found comments regarding senility very interesting.  Hadn't really thought about it before but he regularly appears to 'forget' people.  He is aggressive when he is unsure and confused. This has given me something to think about.  Do dogs have congnitive disfunction? 

Offline Roslyn McConnell

« Reply #34 on: June 10, 2008, 04:36:56 PM »
Hi just had a quick search for journals at work and Pfizer (the drug company) says that 62% of dogs over 10 will show some sign of CCD (canine cognitive disfunction). Scary!!!

The symptoms are increased aggression and/or irritablility, staring into space, decreased activity, pacing at night or a change in sleep patterns, forgetting family members and learned behaviour, a return to puppyhood with reguards to toilet training, confusion and getting lost in the garden and behind furniture etc, no long paying attention to the owner.

It maybe worthwhile having a word with ur vet if you think he has any of these because I think there is a drug called Selegiline which can be used for it. There are also quite a few websites on it if u google CCD.

I really hope you can get this sorted......must be a big worry for you.

xRx

Offline patti

• Site Member
« Reply #35 on: June 10, 2008, 06:01:02 PM »
That's great - thanks for that.  Will look in to that further.
One worry (yes, another one!) at the moment is that Bailey is booked in to boarding kennels for 2 weeks in July.  I have never left him for more that 3 days before and unfortunately we have had to change kennels.  He went for a couple of days earlier in the year as a trial.  They said he was fine but I am never sure if that's true and also it was before he started to really regress. I am going to spend the whole of our holiday worrying about him.  any tips?

Offline Top Barks

• Site Member
« Reply #36 on: June 10, 2008, 06:10:34 PM »

It maybe worthwhile having a word with ur vet if you think he has any of these because I think there is a drug called Selegiline which can be used for it. There are also quite a few websites on it if u google CCD.

I really hope you can get this sorted......must be a big worry for you.

xRx

slight problem as one of the contraindications of selegeline is increased aggression in some dogs but it may be worth getting the oppinion of a veterinary behaviourist.
Mark