Author Topic: Can you help me?  (Read 2009 times)

Offline amanda.seal

• Marley Moo
Can you help me?
« on: June 07, 2008, 06:38:35 PM »
Hi everyone, I'm new to the site. I'm looking into getting 2 cockers as i've read that 2 are half the work of one, as they play together, sleep together and keep each other company. Not sure how true this is but can understand the idea of it. I am looking at getting rescue cockers as i work part-time and don't think its fair having puppy's. My problem is that i'm on a low income and although i can look after them and vets wouldn't be an issue i would have problems getting the initial payments together as they are over 100 for each dog :'( Is there anywhere that takes this into account. I'm new to cockers but i'm sure we could offer them a loving forever home. I live with my 2 children aged 13 and 15.

Offline Cob-Web

• Inactive
  • To err is human, to forgive, canine
    • Walking on Wight Blog
Re: Can you help me?
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2008, 07:16:56 PM »
We "saved up" the weekly outgoings we knew dog would cost to feed and care for, until we had enough to buy our pup.....perhaps you can do that?

I don't know any reputable rescues that would rehome two dogs together unless they had been companions for many years, so you will have time to save up until the right dogs become available. I would add that rescue dogs can be as much, if not more,work than a puppy as their experiences and history are unknown and you have to learn about them as you go along  ;)

Insurance, food, worming, flea-treatments etc for my two dogs costs about £100 a month; so it won't be long before you save enough to make the required donation to a rescue centre  :D
Enrich your life with an Oldie!
Oldies Club

Offline amanda.seal

• Marley Moo
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2008, 07:39:28 PM »
Thanks for that. I never thought about it like that. Do you think i'll be taking on too much with 2? :huh: I am absolutely in love with the breed, i'm even dreaming about them. I only work 21 1/2 hours per week and get all the school holidays off. (3 days til 3pm and 1 day til 12.30) :D I spend alot of time on my own as my children are busy with friends and i can't wait to start sharing my life with such amazing :luv: animals. Will rescues not let 2 be rehomed together? why not? :huh:

Offline michelle123

• Site Member
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2008, 07:50:34 PM »
I'm looking into getting 2 cockers as i've read that 2 are half the work of one, as they play together, sleep together and keep each other company.

Hi & welcome to the forum  ;)

I do sort of understand where you are coming from with two dogs, but having two myself I certainly dont agree to them being half the work  ph34r :005:  going recently from one to two I have really noticed the difference.

I agree with Rachel, it is unlikely that you will be able to re-home 2 together unless they came in as a pair  :-\ even then I would imagine that a rescue centre would prefer to re-home to an experienced home (dont mean to appear rude btw  ;))   

Good luck with your search, keep in touch with your local rescue centre and keep checking on here - also it may be worthwhile checking in with your local vets, look on the notice board and perhaps have a word with the nurse. 

Any questions about the breed and I can assure you, you have come to the right place  :D

Offline Colin

• Administrator
  • Stevie
    • Jimmy Misty & Stevie Videos
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2008, 07:54:21 PM »
Have you owned dogs before ? If not, I'd definitely say to get one on it's own and see how things go before even starting to think of getting another. Dogs don't train themselves and they don't train each other either. It's great fun having more than one dog but can also be a lot of work too - I don't understand how anyone could say two is easier than one. The more dogs you have, the more work it is in my experience.

Offline Cob-Web

• Inactive
    • Walking on Wight Blog
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2008, 07:58:02 PM »
Thanks for that. I never thought about it like that. Do you think i'll be taking on too much with 2? :huh: I am absolutely in love with the breed, i'm even dreaming about them. I only work 21 1/2 hours per week and get all the school holidays off. (3 days til 3pm and 1 day til 12.30) :D I spend alot of time on my own as my children are busy with friends and i can't wait to start sharing my life with such amazing :luv: animals. Will rescues not let 2 be rehomed together? why not? :huh:

There is no reason why you can't become a two (or more) cocker family eventually - many of us are  :005: 

Good rescue organisations (and breeders) want dogs to be given as much commitment as possible from their new home, rather than have that time shared between two new dogs which is why they have tend to adopt certain policies and rules.

Taking on one rescue dog, getting to know him/her, training and teaching them to fit in with your routine before you take on another probably is a more manageable task, especially as you have work and family commitments too  :D
Oldies Club

Offline ladylola

• Donator
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2008, 08:03:27 PM »
Hi and welcome to COL.

Some rescues are ex breeding bitches/stud dogs, who have never lived in a house in their life, never been on a lead just primarily used for breeding. So they are not house trained and will take a lot of hard work to bring them up to be family pets. God bless the people who take these dogs on. It costs the rescues a lot of money to rescue a dog, they have to pay for neutering medical care food etc and most of them rely on donations to do this. So the fee you pay for them helps a little towards this. Having two is hard work and there is no saying they will get on. I have just got number 3 a rescue boy who did come from a decent home, but whose family were unable to cope with him. I am fortunate enough not to have to work, but I find my life does revolve around these dogs 24/7. I hope you do find what you are looking and there will be plenty of help on here.
Julie. Owned by Sasha, Ellie, Monty, Paisley, Louie & Molly
One just isn't enough.

Offline PennyB

« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2008, 08:04:40 PM »
I guess it depends on the ages of the dogs --- we rehomed a pair of cockers (who were very well established and inseparable) to 1st-time dog owners but then they were very easy dogs and were 8 years old.

If they are older dogs (7+) that have lived together most of their lives then I can't see a problem (but then it would depend on what they are like and if they have any problems) but if they are youngsters or from separate homes then yes it may be difficult form a 1st time owners point of view.

As others suggest you may find the opposite re two living together if one or the other has an issues as you may need to spend time training them separately and more time with them individually bonding with them as well

I agree with Rachel in saving up for them and don't think there's any other way round it.

Friends of Hailey Park
Four Paws Animal Rescue (South Wales)

Cockers are just hooligans in cute clothing!

Offline JasperPop

• Jagger
« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2008, 08:26:53 PM »
I would agree with everyone else.  I have two cockers approx the same age and they really are more work than one was on his own and he is the busier of the two.  If you have one, they are more likely to be calmer in the house, they cant learn bad habits from a dog that isnt there, there are two to bath, two to walk, two to groom, take to the vets....you get the picture I am sure.  Now you will be asking why a lot of us have more than one?  Well possibly because we are mad, and we knew what we were getting ourselves into as we already had one.  I got my second as a family friend needed to rehome her and I thought that it would be company for Jagger in a couple of years when I go back to work part-time.  But by then they will have settled down more (I hope) and might sleep for some of the time instead of playfighting all day like they would now given half a chance.

The training issue raised is also a good one, it is hard to train a dog when there are two trying to get a treat - anything more complicated than a "sit" "down" or "leave it" and I have to put one out of the room.

Good luck with your search, I am sure with all the information you can get on COL you will make a great owner. Why dont you look for one first and then when that dog is settled and steady you can start to look for a companion for him/her if you still want to be a two dog house.

Welcome to COL, and beware - it is really addictive.

Offline JaspersMum

• Donator
« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2008, 08:56:22 PM »
Hi and welcome  :D I hope you find you special friend(s) soon.

Just wanted to add to what has been said, we had one, and quickly added another and a third this year, they are harder work having 2 plus, even thinking of the grooming - I spent about 4 hours bathing and grooming the three last night after feeding the children and usual family stuff, and got to bed at 1am. I don't always have to do them together, but as soon as I started you could tell I had let them go a bit this week and they needed a few tangles sorted...

Also if you are not going to groom yourself, make sure you have added the cost of groomers every few weeks for the 2, it can be expensive. 

Exercise is also longer with two as ideally you need to try and train them seperately sometimes too, something I'm guilty of not doing half as much as I should, but one day it could bit me on the bum  ph34r especially if you find one will not stay at home on it's own and the other needs the vets or similar!

That's not saying don't have two, just be ready for them needing just as much, if not more work  ;)

Jenny - owned by Jasper, Ellie, Heidi, Louie & Charlie

Offline amanda.seal

• Marley Moo
« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2008, 11:59:57 PM »
Thank you to everyone thats replied. I can say that i'm already addicted to col :D It's been really useful reading your posts. I think i may take your advice and just look for 1 to start, i was just worried about it being lonely. :'( but i completey understand what you're saying. I would like to groom the cocker myself so when i've found my perfect companion i will be asking your advice on that.

Offline Karma

• Site Member
« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2008, 09:04:06 AM »

When we first looked into getting a dog, I thought two would be good to ensure they kept each other company, but OH wasn't convinced (especially as it was our first pet as adults) so we stuck with one.  The breeder we got Honey from had raised litter mates, but said from her experience she would never allow someone to get 2 at the same time, as it was incredibly hard work.... so we were glad we had decided upon one.

We both work, so Honey is left for a few hours at a time - I do sessional work so can normally get back at lunchtimes and also often have later starts or earlier finishes... this has been the set up since she was 3 months old, and has suited her very well.  We leave plenty of toys when she is left, and half the time they haven't moved when we get back - especially now she has access to the conservatory too (she just lies in the sun beams!) - she gets a lot of our attention when we are here, and she is growing into a lovely young adult dog!!  She certainly doesn't seem to be lonely - she loves to play with other dogs when we are out, but is happy to come home to all her toys...
Remembering Honey. Aug 2007-July 2020

Offline amanda.seal

• Marley Moo
« Reply #12 on: June 08, 2008, 10:07:21 AM »
Thanks, thats put my mind at ease. Honey is soooo lovely, my children would love a puppy but with me working i said no :'( as i can't get home during the day, they aren't happy with me at the moment ph34r. I would have loved a puppy too but you have to be practical don't you? How have others managed when having to go to work and having a puppy at home :huh: I think i'm doing the right thing but my children don't >:(

Offline Cob-Web

• Inactive
    • Walking on Wight Blog
« Reply #13 on: June 08, 2008, 11:41:37 AM »
Thanks, thats put my mind at ease. Honey is soooo lovely, my children would love a puppy but with me working i said no :'( as i can't get home during the day, they aren't happy with me at the moment ph34r. I would have loved a puppy too but you have to be practical don't you? How have others managed when having to go to work and having a puppy at home :huh: I think i'm doing the right thing but my children don't >:(

We employed a pet sitter when Molo was a puppy, and other people have used doggy-day care facilities for their dogs, too - but this does add to the overall cost of keeping a dog. 

How long would your regularly leave the dog on the days you work til 3pm?   More than 4-5 hours alone without a break is not recommended even for an adult dog (of any breed); and many rescues might be unhappy at rehoming to you unless you have some form of arrangements in place to give the dog a loo break and exercise.
Oldies Club

Offline amanda.seal

• Marley Moo
« Reply #14 on: June 08, 2008, 12:06:16 PM »
what about pet doors so that the dog can go in and out when it likes? I have a secure garden with 6 foot fences around. Would that help me or not :huh: i would be willing to get one fitted and if i find a dog and collect while i'm off work during summer hols i could make sure it knows how to use it. :-\ I'm out the house 7 1/2 hours for 3 days the rest of the time would not be a problem :D Or do you think i should talk nicely to my neighbour to see if she will let it out for me?
I'm even thinking about being cheeky and asking my boss if i can change my hours to 9-1 (5 days a week), if that would be better. :D