Author Topic: Piper's got a swollen face  (Read 2314 times)

Offline Pipers Mummy

• Site Member
Piper's got a swollen face
« on: April 20, 2004, 06:26:40 AM »
Came home from work last night to find piper with a swollen area underneath her left eye and all around her nose :cry:   My husband said she had been absoloutely fine two hours earlier.  She was her normal giddy self  and desperate for her supper so I decided not to rush her to the vets.  Within an hour the swelling had started to go down and within two-three hours it had gone completely :D

Just got up this morning to find the area above her right eye is now swollen (quite badly) but nowhere else  :(  :(

Charlie said that he had seen her chase a spider in the kitchen and eat it (before he could get to her to stop her - it's food you see :?  :?  :? ) about 2 minutes previously and he had not noticed her eye before that.

I think it has to be an allergic reaction to something - do you think it could be the spider??

I have changed her diet recently, however, I don't think it is food related as I have not noticed the swelling after feeding.

I think I might take her to the vets this morning to let them have a look.  Her eye looks awful bless her  :(  :(    

Pleased to report that Ms. Piper managed to eat her breakfast in record time though this morning despite her disability :roll:  :lol:

Louise & Piper                    
Cocker Kisses from Louise & Piper xxx

Offline *Jay*

• Donator
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2004, 07:44:39 AM »
Certainly sounds like an allergy. Dallas' face went like that when he tried to eat a bee :roll:  :lol:  It will just be the poor spider getting his own back :wink:  If it doesn't go down, I would certainly pop along to the vets and let them have a look.                    
Dallas ( 10) & Disney ( 9 )

Playing at the Bridge: Brook (13/06/04), Jackson (23/12/05) & Vegas (14/07/10)

Offline shonajoy

• Site Member
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2004, 08:30:09 AM »
Oh, poor thing bless her!
My neighbours dog killed a bee last year, and had what sounds like a very similar reaction.

Hope she feels better now

Shona x                    
Shona, Indie(5) and Hamish (4)

Offline Anita

• Site Member
  • Phoebe 21/8/02 - 1/11/16, Libby (2/4/05 - 25/11/16
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2004, 08:41:00 AM »
Poor Piper :(  Hope she's feeling better. It could be an allergic reaction but work checking it out.  :)                    
Anita

Offline Silver Surfer (indiesnan)

• Site Member
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2004, 08:52:16 AM »
Poor Piper,    :(  it certainly sounds like an allergic reaction to me.

I would get mr vet to check her out, just in case.                    
* Barb & Nell * ~~He who claims he knows, knows nothing. He who claims nothing knows~~

Offline Shirley

• Site Member
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2004, 08:58:13 AM »
HI there

Poor Piper :( .  Morgan had identical symptoms to this in January this year.  I got up one morning and right round one eye was swollen up - Looked like he'd gone a few rounds with Mike Tyson.  I took him to the vet and it turned out to be bacterial conjunctivitus.  He was given Maxitrol drops and it cleared within about 5 days  :D   Sounds like it could be the same thing.  I'd take her to the vet to check it out incase it is this, as untreated conjunctivitus can cause a lot of permanent damage.

Hope your vet manages to sort it whatever it it.  Let us know how you get on  :)                    
Shirley, Morgan and Cooper
Morgan's Page                                  Videos of my boys

Offline Magic Star

• Site Member
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2004, 09:56:53 AM »
:( Awww poor piper, sounds like an allery to me too, there are bees and wasps around all ready!  Hope shes feeling better soon!

By the way was looking at Pipers pictures in the gallery, she has very similiar markings to Indie and they are both the same age!  Did you get her from Nottingham?                    

Offline Pipers Mummy

• Site Member
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2004, 11:57:05 AM »
Well, we are just back from the vets where I am pleased to report Piper was pronounced fit and healthy :D   Unfortunately by the time we got there Piper was not doing such an excellent impersonation of a cyclops as she was earlier, however the swelling was still evident.  The vet thinks that it is some kind of allergic reaction and did not administer any medication but did tell me to bring her back if it happened again.   She thought that the most probable expanation was Piper having buried her nose in something on one of her walks.

After a long walk Piper is back to her normal pretty self.

The very good news is that I took advantage of being at the vets to weigh her and am pleased to report that we are now heading back down the scales rather than up them :lol:  :P   For those of you who have not met  Lady Piper she is rather porky at the moment but it is work in progress - and thanks once again to Anita and Michelle for their dietry advice on Saturday!

Emma - had noticed the similarities between Indie and Piper myself, however, Piper was from Adlington so presumably they are not related!  One major difference about them also are their eating habits - Piper is as greedy as Indie is fussy in relation to food :?  :cry:  

Piper says a very big "woof" even though she only barks on special occasions to all of her human and doggie friends for their concern :P

Louise & Piper xx                    

Offline Magic Star

• Site Member
« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2004, 12:44:25 PM »

Emma - had noticed the similarities between Indie and Piper myself, however, Piper was from Adlington so presumably they are not related!  One major difference about them also are their eating habits - Piper is as greedy as Indie is fussy in relation to food :?  :cry:  

They could well still be related, same dad or grandparents etc, PM me with some names from her pedigree!  The likeliness is uncanny :)

Glad she is Ok :D                    

Offline Anita

• Site Member
  • Phoebe 21/8/02 - 1/11/16, Libby (2/4/05 - 25/11/16
« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2004, 01:59:09 PM »
Louise

I'm glad everything is ok with piper. Hope she's still got her smilie face on!!                    
Anita

Offline Pipers Mummy

• Site Member
« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2004, 06:36:15 AM »
Oh dear - what a day.  It would seem that Piper is allergic to something in the house.  Within 30 minutes of us being back in the house from her walk yesterday her eye and nose had swollen again.  She then went to be clipped and exactly the same thing happened when we got back  :cry:  :cry:

I have just got up this morning to find both of her eyes still semi swollen and that she had vomitted twice in the night.  She is also scratching lots  :(  :(

Neither of us can think about anything different in the house over the last few days - the only change has been her diet.  I still don't really think it is the change in her diet (and am hoping it isn't) but with her scratching so much I'm now wondering.........  

We are going on holiday tomorrow for a week and Piper is staying at my mums so I'm going to call the vets again at 8 as I don't want to leave her sick :(

Worried mummy and poorly girl.xx                    

Offline TOPAZ BILLY

• Site Member
  • De Girls!
« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2004, 09:04:36 AM »
Oh dear - what a day.  It would seem that Piper is allergic to something in the house.  Within 30 minutes of us being back in the house from her walk yesterday her eye and nose had swollen again.  She then went to be clipped and exactly the same thing happened when we got back  :cry:  :cry:

I have just got up this morning to find both of her eyes still semi swollen and that she had vomitted twice in the night.  She is also scratching lots  :(  :(

Neither of us can think about anything different in the house over the last few days - the only change has been her diet.  I still don't really think it is the change in her diet (and am hoping it isn't) but with her scratching so much I'm now wondering.........  

We are going on holiday tomorrow for a week and Piper is staying at my mums so I'm going to call the vets again at 8 as I don't want to leave her sick :(

Worried mummy and poorly girl.xx

Louise,

I would suggest that you maybe take her off the autarky for a couple of days just to reasure yourself that it isn't this that is causing the problem, it is quite a natural food but it could be one of the herbs that they use?

Hope she is feeling better soon.

Michelle                    

Offline Silver Surfer (indiesnan)

• Site Member
« Reply #12 on: April 21, 2004, 10:03:09 AM »
Hi Louise, just a thought,  have you washed her bedding in any different.

Or have you mopped the floor with anything you dont't normaly use.
Please keep us posted.  :) I hope she gets better soon.                    
* Barb & Nell * ~~He who claims he knows, knows nothing. He who claims nothing knows~~

Offline Magic Star

• Site Member
« Reply #13 on: April 21, 2004, 10:24:38 AM »
:( So sorry to hear Piper is poorly again!  This sounds bizarre but hear me out, now is the time for tree pollen and also that gawd awful rapeseed stuff that can make humans with allergies quite ill, perhaps its a type of hayfever, its not unknown for animals to get hayfever :roll:   Just a thought, hopefully your vet will be able to shed some light on it for you.

Let us know how she gets on and Indie sends her twin a big massive cuddle and kiss :P                    

Offline Pipers Mummy

• Site Member
« Reply #14 on: April 21, 2004, 11:28:08 AM »
Well, back from the vet again.  Saw a different one today who I really like  :D

He is convinced that her allergic reaction is not related to a change in diet and has advised me to continue with it for the time being.  With her vomitting overnight he is quite sure that she is reacting to something that she has eaten - ie. plant etc. on a walk  :?  and he said it could be something she ate a few days ago.  

I was worried in case she had suddenly become allergic to the cats but he thinks that that too is unlikely after 9 months of living with them.

He gave her an anti histamine injection and some tablets to take for 5 days to see how she gets on.

She is fine in herself and we have just been on a walk :D

Well, I feel better that I have done what I can prior to going on holiday.  Hopefully all will be well when we return :?

Barb - I have not changed my detergent or floor cleaner and in fact yesterday scrubbed the kitchen floor and washed all of her bedding in a frenzied attempt to find the cause :roll:

Big woofs from Piper :P and thanks for everyone's concern.

Louise