Author Topic: 8 month old entire dog cocking his leg in my house  (Read 4107 times)

Offline SimonandMandy

Re: 8 month old entire dog cocking his leg in my house
« Reply #15 on: July 18, 2008, 09:42:28 AM »
Harvey's trainer at My Pet Stop in Leeds gave us what sounds like a good tip...She called it 'Dusting'.

Firstly, clean the spots where your dog has sprayed with an agent which doesn't contain Ammonia, etc., then get an old towel and wipe it on your dogs boy bits.  Once you've done that, 'Dust' the areas where your dog usually sprays with the scented towel.

She said this usually stops them but we're still to try it.  Harvey hasn't (and hopefully won't) started scent marking yet.

Hope this helps.

Si.

Offline pamela

• Site Member
« Reply #16 on: July 19, 2008, 11:12:48 PM »
I have an entire 8yr old dog and he has never cocked his leg inside. Hopefully it will be a one off!

Cazzie

« Reply #17 on: July 19, 2008, 11:17:12 PM »
I have an entire 8yr old dog and he has never cocked his leg inside. Hopefully it will be a one off!

I hear this sooooooooooooo many times. The dog I have here is a sex pest and thinks of nothing else, he has cocked his leg many times now and its on things that no other dogs has, he goes home tomorrow and WILL NOT be back here  >:D

Offline Cob-Web

• Inactive
  • To err is human, to forgive, canine
    • Walking on Wight Blog
« Reply #18 on: July 19, 2008, 11:48:05 PM »

I hear this sooooooooooooo many times. The dog I have here is a sex pest and thinks of nothing else, he has cocked his leg many times now and its on things that no other dogs has, he goes home tomorrow and WILL NOT be back here  >:D

I bet he doesn't do it at home  ;) 

I've had several dogs (neutered and entire) cock their legs in my house....it's just one of those things when you have dogs to visit (or board), isn't it?  :huh: 

It hadn't occurred to me that there was a overt sexual motivation; why do they do it, then?

I just thought it was natural instinct - I thought that if a dog visits somewhere where they can smell dogs that they don't know (even if the other dog hasn't pee'd, their scent will still be present), then they leave their mark to let those other dogs know that they have been there....... ph34r
Enrich your life with an Oldie!
Oldies Club

Cazzie

« Reply #19 on: July 19, 2008, 11:49:53 PM »

I've had several dogs (neutered and entire) cock their legs in my house....it's just one of those things when you have dogs to visit (or board), isn't it?  :huh: 

It hadn't occurred to me that there was a overt sexual motivation; why do they do it, then?

I just thought it was natural instinct - I thought that if a dog visits somewhere where they can smell dogs that they don't know (even if the other dog hasn't pee'd, their scent will still be present), then they leave their mark to let those other dogs know that they have been there....... ph34r

Come back to me when you know what your talking about rachael  ::)

Offline *jean*

• Donator
  • who need s pills when you have pals ?
« Reply #20 on: July 21, 2008, 12:15:05 PM »

I have a dog to stay sometimes he never ever cocks his leg in his house but does it in mine if he gets away with it.
  hes just scent marking.. it stops once hes been with me a day or two. blinkin pest tho.
Rolo has done it in a strangers house who has dogs too. was mortified!  he never does it at home. it is definately in their case scent marking for other dogs to smell. not for sex as in both houses the female resident dog/s is a spayed dog/s.
If my female dogs wee outside he will wee over it as well.. again another doggie note for other passing canines..it may be to mark territory or define a pack.. "we all pee in the same place, we are the local dogs" who knows. but where one pees they all pee,
 and when we go over to rolos brothers he wees all over her garden marking away .. then off he goes to hide all jacks toys. he doesnt lift a leg in sandras but he did pee plenty in there as a pup so maybe he thinks of it as home and doesnt need to! and her dogs are spayed to. Im with you rachel its not always about sex. ( apart from the this is my patch stuff) a bit like parking your car outside your door. it says this is my place / territory. its a sign.

Offline Saffi

« Reply #21 on: July 21, 2008, 01:26:18 PM »
My little devil (Tyla) >:D has peed whilst in my neighbours house (over their dog's bed), I was mortified, but my neighbour was cool with it, as she knows Tyla is a little special and likes to mark his scent. I was a little concerned when we got Saffi (first bitch ever), thought he might start scenting all over the house, but he seems to be fine (although I am giving it time).

I mentioned on another thread that I have had the occasional problem with Tyla peeing over the food bowls after they have had a treat (ie. other than their dry food). He has done this when I haven't been watching. Any ideas?

Cazzie

« Reply #22 on: July 21, 2008, 01:29:34 PM »
Well this dog is away now, I had a chat with his owner and only now do they tell me that he is A: a sex pest and it is indeed NOT the 1st time he has done this evn in their house  >:D

Offline *jean*

• Donator
  • who need s pills when you have pals ?
« Reply #23 on: July 21, 2008, 02:24:31 PM »
Well this dog is away now, I had a chat with his owner and only now do they tell me that he is A: a sex pest and it is indeed NOT the 1st time he has done this evn in their house  >:D
Im sure its not at 8 months old. hes just a puppy.

Cazzie

« Reply #24 on: July 21, 2008, 02:49:22 PM »

He is in theory a puppy Jean but believe me this dog was well advanced for his months. A stunning more affectionate boy you couldnt get  :luv:

Offline Cob-Web

• Inactive
    • Walking on Wight Blog
« Reply #25 on: July 21, 2008, 05:53:25 PM »

He is in theory a puppy Jean but believe me this dog was well advanced for his months. A stunning more affectionate boy you couldnt get  :luv:

Poor chap - he's only doing what comes naturally  ;)   

We have had this debate many times before; I thought you only minded/boarded neutered dogs?  :huh:
Oldies Club

Cazzie

« Reply #26 on: July 21, 2008, 06:37:11 PM »

Poor chap - he's only doing what comes naturally  ;)   

We have had this debate many times before; I thought you only minded/boarded neutered dogs?  :huh:

Rachael, you are indeed correct, I do not bored entire dogs but OVER the age of 14 months old  ;) I cannot be a hippocrite and have entire male dogs of my own and not accomodate customers. Large breed dogs as you know suffer growth wise being castrated too early.

I am also well aware of the fact "what comes naturally" to male dogs, hence the reason mine are castrated. If people expect the likes of me, which they do to "home board" their dogs then their dogs "must" conform to house rules. My house "Is not" a kennel block it is a home. I have also the health/welfare and behaviour of all my customers dogs to take into consideration. As I said I was informed by his owners "on their return" that he is and has been for the last month or so partial to doing this causing them concern and were organising getting him done. Now if I had not said or had had a problem with that dog nothing would have ever been said to me.

I have years of experience in housing customers dogs so I do think I have a little clue as to how they behave  :D

Offline Cob-Web

• Inactive
    • Walking on Wight Blog
« Reply #27 on: July 21, 2008, 09:42:04 PM »
I have years of experience in housing customers dogs so I do think I have a little clue as to how they behave  :D

8 month old entire dog cocking his leg in my house: How do I stop it  :-\

Hey - you asked!  :lol2: :lol2:
Oldies Club

Cazzie

« Reply #28 on: July 21, 2008, 09:46:25 PM »

8 month old entire dog cocking his leg in my house: How do I stop it  :-\

Hey - you asked!  :lol2: :lol2:

I did didnt I  :lol2:

Offline Lynne L

« Reply #29 on: July 23, 2008, 12:05:51 AM »
Paddy (neutered) never cocked his leg in our house of his own accord except once when we had a visiting dog who peed against the kitchen door then peed on my husband's foot, then Paddy went up and did the same thing (he was only a pup at the time). He did however, pee against a curtain in my friend's house (she has dogs). I was absolutely mortified -she refused dry cleaning payment and we are still friends. Since he was castrated he has not repeated this. Mind you when walking him along our local high street a few weeks ago I narrowly managed to stop him cocking his leg against a rack of shoes outside Clarks shoe shop.  :005:
Lynne