Author Topic: Cry For Help  (Read 3212 times)

Offline JAYPEZZ

• Site Member
  • NEW MOM TO ARCHIE.
Cry For Help
« on: July 17, 2008, 11:32:24 AM »
 :'( Hi all this really is my last chance with Archie he s 9mths old and a Blue Roan. I am at my wits end with him he s destroying my house and garden , There is nothing he wont eat , hes  eaten  the kitchen floor theres four holes in the conservatory wall his toys last five minutes . He eats toys plants rugs anything and everything, He digs massive holes in the garden , theres not a plant or a shrub left.  Now here's the thing I am home with Archie all day every day I take him out 3 or 4 times daily even if i have to buy a new lead every week because he eats them. I now cage him at night because hes eating my cupboard doors. I am really at my wits end I am no longer enjoying Archie like i should hes causing rows with my O/H understandable because i am so stressed with him. He s been to the Vets and had the op I was hoping worst if any thing. Dog training been there he sits on command walks on a lead, Hes the softest most loving dog in the whole world but I am in such despair.Can anyone help please
New Mom to Archie.
Every Dog Should Have a Home.
Every Home Should Have A Dog.

Offline bev6951

• Site Member
Re: Cry For Help
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2008, 11:38:35 AM »
I have been in your shoes and can only offer my sympathy someone will be  along soon with some great advice I'm sure, I eventually rehomed my dog and have kind of regretted it ever since although knowing he is happier now is something of a comfort. I think you have done the right thing asking for help as you could find a saving grace through it  :D
Bev, Wilson & Mylee xxx

Offline EmmaA

• Site Member
  • Eric
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2008, 11:42:01 AM »
I'm so sorry to hear that you have got to this stage with him. They can be so infurating at times.
Firstly have you tried him on a harness so that he can't chew his lead because it clicks on half way down his back?
My last cocker did the destructive thing at around 8-9 months and I think it coincided with the second stage of teething. He was the same walls, floors, doors, skirting boards the list goes on.
Have you tried doing clicker training with him? He may just need lots of mental stimulation and my experience of clicker training is it really wears the little buggers out.
Please give him a chance and work with him because I can tell that you love him dearly. And here's your glimmer of hope Groove stopped trashing everything at about 14 months old.
Hopefully someone will have some better advice for you soon

Offline Smudgesmum

• Site Member
  • mum to Oliver,9 and Smudge,4
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2008, 11:42:24 AM »
oh dear! What a sad story. Its obvious that you love Archie very much but I can understand why you feel the way you do. At first glance I can't offer much help...I am sure that time will sort this out but thats not what you want at the moment. Have you thought about a dog behaviourist? I am sure someone will be along soon who can help .... you could ask Top Barks for his ideas. You seem to be doing all the right things with your pup. I know they can be very distructive but this sounds OTT . We  had an Alsation that did similar things but none of our Cockers have done this. Sorry not to be more help but please don't despair...someone will be along with suggestions I'm sure

Offline Eve

• Donator
    • www.yvonnehughes.co.uk
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2008, 11:51:38 AM »
What do you do when you catch him at it? One of my golden retrievers was a chewer. When caught at it she was left in no doubt it wasn't the right thing to do by praise when she didn't.  Soon began to understand no chewing more cuddles but what do I know not having a spangle at the moment.

Offline emderpenguin

« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2008, 12:05:12 PM »
what are you feeding him on? Pepper goes even more nuts if she has ANY kind of colouring (greens and reds). She's not on food with it in but stole some of my other dog's food which did and you could tell the difference.

How much 'work' are you doing with him at home? As for the lead chewing 1) buy a metal lead or 2) take a 'walk only' toy with you so he has something to hold instead of chewing on the lead (balls on ropes work well)

as for chewing everything, have all his teeth come through ok? if there are surfaces you know he likes you could try something like bitter bite or tobasco sauce, anything that tastes strong that hes doesn't like.

am sure others can also help

Offline PennyB

« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2008, 12:06:54 PM »
Sometimes chewing is boredom related and other times its separation anxiety --- is he chewing when you go out at all. Sometimes you can give your dog too much attention and even if you are with him all day (mine are in the house all day but I'm not always actually with them like now while I'm wokring upstairs in my office) are you actually giving him the stimulation he needs.

You say training, 'been there', but there's more to a dog that just being able to sit on command and walk on a lead.

When you walk him is he on- or offlead.

Do you give him tasks to do in the form of training and games to stimulate him in the house or out and about  --- clicker training can make them work and so tire out their brains as well. I will often not just 'walk' my dogs they play games sometimes while out and about where they have to find objects (sometimes just dog treats) I've thrown in the undergrowth so they have to work to find them and they love it (its also help increase their ability to use their nose and i find it fascinating to watch them work out where the treat is)

He's now a teenager and sadly this is a very frustrating time for some owners but its not the end of the world

Do you ever use a kong or similar so he has to work to get his food (kongs are pretty tough)
Friends of Hailey Park
Four Paws Animal Rescue (South Wales)

Cockers are just hooligans in cute clothing!

Offline Millbean

• Site Member
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2008, 12:20:55 PM »
Hi

I have a blue roan 10 months called Bertie who is a little >:D at times.  He digs enormous holes in the garden (thought I had foxes at first), he tries to eat everything he can get his mouth on and has destroyed a couple of rugs.  He likes to turn them over and chew them from the underside and as my husband has never been a great dog lover it has been difficult.

Anyway, we decided to focus only on his good points and keep an eye on him all the time and this has really helped.  If we go out he is in a small utility area with a baby gate where he can't damage anything.  We have a baby gate in the hall so he can only go upstairs (to our study) if we are with him.  If he is really hyper, we will put him in his cage to calm down (usually when the cat's chase him).

I would try to keep him in one part of the garden where it doesn't matter too much what he does.  This is the first year I haven't visited the garden centre buying plants (no point Bertie tries to eat them all).  

We now only buy indestructible balls, etc.  otherwise they last 5 minutes.  I bought three (99p each) brightly coloured plastic watering jugs from Ikea.  He loves them.  It takes ages for him to chew them. He's had all my dustpan and brushes.

I think he will learn what is acceptable to you and grow out of it (he is only a puppy).  If you can find someone else with a young dog that he can play with to wear him out a bit that might help.

Another point is food.  I think some of the additives in supermarket brands can make dogs more hyper.  

To be honest, I think all this is totally normal for a puppy

Just one question, what are you doing when he's chewing the house and garden to bits?
Bertie  12.9.2007 - 4.11.2016

Offline SimonandMandy

« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2008, 12:35:22 PM »
Sorry to hear all not well but hang in there, if nothing else it can only get better   :lol2:...  Harvey has just chewed his first wall - I covered the spot to distract him and so far not moved on - some say citrus spray/lemon juice works.  Some nice big fresh bones for chewing might help as well???

For the garden a really good suggestion our trainer gave us was that you cannot change this type of natural instinct, however an option is a childrens sandpit as the digging area - train the dog to use this for digging through clicker training, reward training.  Trainer said to hide different toys/treats in sandpit to keep interest levels up.  Hopefully this is an option you can explore?  An area in the garden hasn't worked for us as Harvey just likes to dig, thankfully the nice parts of our garden are fenced off from him so the bits he digs aren't so bad.

In ther interim do keep celebrating and praising the nice things Archie does well as this will keep helping a positive relationship.

Offline Cob-Web

• Inactive
  • To err is human, to forgive, canine
    • Walking on Wight Blog
« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2008, 12:52:48 PM »
:'( Hi all this really is my last chance with Archie he s 9mths old and a Blue Roan. I am at my wits end with him he s destroying my house and garden , There is nothing he wont eat , hes  eaten  the kitchen floor theres four holes in the conservatory wall his toys last five minutes . He eats toys plants rugs anything and everything, He digs massive holes in the garden , theres not a plant or a shrub left.  Now here's the thing I am home with Archie all day every day I take him out 3 or 4 times daily even if i have to buy a new lead every week because he eats them. I now cage him at night because hes eating my cupboard doors. I am really at my wits end I am no longer enjoying Archie like i should hes causing rows with my O/H understandable because i am so stressed with him. He s been to the Vets and had the op I was hoping worst if any thing. Dog training been there he sits on command walks on a lead, Hes the softest most loving dog in the whole world but I am in such despair.Can anyone help please

You are clearly at the end of your teather, and I think the first thing may be to take a deep breath, and if at all possible, find a reliable kennels or pet sitter to give you a break from Archie for a day or two.

Once you can think more clearly, then you and your OH need to sit down and work out between you what your expectations ARE of Archie, if they are realistic for a young dog, and how you can adapt your lives in order to achieve them (or indeed, if you are prepared to adapt to the extent required).

There are loads of threads on COL that will help - about what to expect from a dog of this age, and how to manage this challenging time in a puppies development - a lot of people are overwhelmed by a puppy, and very simple changes to lifestyles and routines can make a huge difference - but not everyone is able or willing to make the sacrifices that are required.

No matter what your decision, I am sure that Archie's welfare will always be at the forefront of your mind, and there is a great deal of support and advice on how to seek training, or find Archie a new home, whatever the decision that you make together  :-\
Enrich your life with an Oldie!
Oldies Club

Offline Ailsa

• Site Member
« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2008, 01:32:22 PM »
So sorry to hear that you are having such a tough time. An important thing to remember is that this is not unusual behaviour for a dog of Archie's age and he will grow out of it.

Does he fully understand yet what "no" means? My last cocker used to try to chew her lead all the time we were walking but I would say a stern "no" and then praise her when she stopped doing it. With Twix, it has now got to the stage that I just have to say "uh, uh" and she stops doing what she is doing to look at me and again then gets praise bacause she has stopped.

Also is he getting plenty of off the lead exercise to tire him out? A walk 3/4 times a day may not be enough if he is only walked on the lead.

The kong suggestion is a good one if you haven't tried that already.

Offline JAYPEZZ

• Site Member
  • NEW MOM TO ARCHIE.
« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2008, 02:02:19 PM »
 :-\Hi all thanks for your replies, Archie does not just go for a walk we have wooded and parkland 5mins from us so he s let of lead then ,Morning afternoon and evening, although evenings I like to keep him on the lead for lead training. I have no problems when hes out doors. Hes cant be bored at home myself and my 3 yr old grandson are with him most of all the day, He doesn't chew when I am out so its not anxiety, I only use the praise and reward with him ( although I have shouted at him the last couple of weeks I am at the end of my tether.)He s with me now in the office and has one eye on me, While I have written this hes chewed a toggle off a rain coat and the head off a teddy so theres stuffing everywhere . I cant cage him 24/7 theres no point in having a dog hes part of the family. I am not a bad dog owner I have read all the books, I am really asking for help here, I love this dog to bits but I am so stressed with him, he s just bought me an alarm clock with teeth marks. He does things slyly like he s teasing me with them. I feed him Dry food Pedigree complete. He has a scrabbled egg for breakfast with a spoonful of bio yogurt. I am so upset to think I may have to re home him but I really cant cope. Any help Please he hasnt got a mean bone in his body .
JAYXX
New Mom to Archie.
Every Dog Should Have a Home.
Every Home Should Have A Dog.

Offline bracken

• Site Member
« Reply #12 on: July 17, 2008, 02:22:43 PM »
Sorry to hear he's getting you down  :-\ Its very hard when u have a chewer,my bailey chewed every thing until she was 14 months old then it just stopped  :luv: thank goodness  :-\ we replaced doors skirting board carpets and conservatory chairs.
He is still very young and I'm sure will suddenly grow out of it.
Sorry can't give any real solutions, as alot is to do with his age :-\ I had Bailey with me alot during the day to keep an eye on her, she chewed mainly when I was at work :-\
Our first 16 months with Bailey were dreadful we had many rows but it will get better  :luv:  She is 3 now and just fantastic and was worth it all.
Does he like rawhide chews ?
Jo

Offline bracken

• Site Member
« Reply #13 on: July 17, 2008, 02:32:47 PM »
Sorry me again  :luv:  Forgot the food bit

I would change his food its worth a go  :blink: try something with no addictives such as JWB, there are many good choices out there. Pedigree has been known to make some dogs  hyper  :-\ therefore chewing and digging could be a factor

Jo

Offline MacTavish Boys

• Site Member
« Reply #14 on: July 17, 2008, 02:39:12 PM »
Hi Jay,

sorry to hear that you are having problems with Archie, as Jo has just pointed out, i would definitely change his food from Pedigree, as its known to have lots of colours and additives, which could be making him hyper, perhaps try something like Arden Grange, Burns or Nature Diet for him, if he prefers wet food, or even go down the BARF route, lots of advice on the feeding section for this. :luv:

Stephanie, George and Hamish xxx
George'n' Hamish's Mum