Author Topic: Cry For Help  (Read 3211 times)

Offline Tasha

• Site Member
Re: Cry For Help
« Reply #15 on: July 17, 2008, 02:40:51 PM »
Definitely change the food there are lots of good alternatives from Naturediet, Burns, Arden Grange, BARF, Orijen, etc etc pedigree products are always full of sugar, salts ash and water rather than actual decent food.

Even though he's with you and your grandson that may not be enough to keep him brain occupied, the fact that he's just chewed your toggle would be a good indicator of that.  Have you done any scent training with him like hide and seek with a toy or a food item??? That always tires them out and employs one of their breed traits, its also fun for children to do and to teach both manners.  Books on clicker training tricks might also be of interest if you have good timing.

I'd approach a good behaviourist that can help you if your really struggling who can give you some advice and training tips.  Having a toddler and a puppy as he's still very young at the sametime is never easy so I hope you get a bit of time out.  

Offline Millbean

• Site Member
« Reply #16 on: July 17, 2008, 03:41:21 PM »
Just a thought and I am no expert (only had a cocker for 7 months), do you think a couple of day's break from him might help.  If there is a local kennel who would have him, you might see a difference when he gets back home.

The only other thing I can think of, at the moment, is does he have a routine.  We seem to do the same things each day and he likes to know what comes next.

Please don't give up on Archie.  I am sure we have all had days when we could give them back.  I think a break for you to reassess how you feel might be the answer. 

When Bertie was being "naughty" or destroyed something I used to get annoyed, now I just ignore it and he has got better.  By the way, Bertie is on JWB and it's easy to buy from the local Pets at Home or Pet Shop. 
Bertie  12.9.2007 - 4.11.2016

Offline bibathediva

• Site Member
  • SMILE
« Reply #17 on: July 17, 2008, 03:49:54 PM »

I would try a food change..it can make a BIG difference to there behaviour  ;)   apart from that his adult teeth could be bedding in which will make him want to chew  ;)

Offline SarahS

• Site Member
« Reply #18 on: July 17, 2008, 03:57:18 PM »

I would try a food change..it can make a BIG difference to there behaviour  ;)   apart from that his adult teeth could be bedding in which will make him want to chew  ;)

Our Reggie is 9 months old too and has become incredibly destructive suddenly, and also very stubborn. I am just putting this down to age and teeth.  I know this passes because our last cocker was a deligh eventually.

Offline JAYPEZZ

• Site Member
  • NEW MOM TO ARCHIE.
« Reply #19 on: July 17, 2008, 04:29:53 PM »

Our Reggie is 9 months old too and has become incredibly destructive suddenly, and also very stubborn. I am just putting this down to age and teeth.  I know this passes because our last cocker was a deligh eventually.
Glad I am not on my own, I will go and change his food my other thought was do you think he could be jealous of my grandson, Although my grandson was here first, There has been no nasty behaviour no aggression, like I say hes not got a bad bone in him.but some days they are both like 2 naughty boys and need to be kept apart. Anyone looking for a 3 yr old house trained and very polite. LOL.
New Mom to Archie.
Every Dog Should Have a Home.
Every Home Should Have A Dog.

Offline Saffaroo

• Donator
  • both my girls safely at the bridge xx
« Reply #20 on: July 17, 2008, 04:38:42 PM »
So sorry that you are all having such a time of it - I would say do try changing the food you are feeding him now to one of those mentioned on here.  I think you could be very surprised at the results.  Good luck  :D

Dillon the Cavvie
Saffy dog 22.5.2000 - 4.12.2012
Shelley boo 25.3.2005 - 19.7.2011

Offline spanielcrazy

• Site Member
« Reply #21 on: July 17, 2008, 04:59:24 PM »
You've been given some good advice here, and I particularly agree with the suggestions to change food and to get a good behaviourist to help you get through this time (and a couple of days in kennels for you both to cool off is excellent too!)

but some days they are both like 2 naughty boys and need to be kept apart.

That's because they're both on the same mental wavelength  :005: What you have on your hands with Archie sounds like a really exuberant teenage boy with more energy than places to channel it, so it comes out as trouble. Archie is in full adolescence and this phase will pass! It's not forever!  :shades:

Get yourself a good behaviourist to come to your home to help you one on one with Archie, to help channel all that energy and to learn how to communicate with him effectively.  :blink:
The madhouse: Michelle, Joy, Jordie, Gizmo, Bracken, Jewel

"My darlings,I love you more than life itself, but you're all ****ing mad!"  Ozzy Osbourne

Offline Karma

• Site Member
« Reply #22 on: July 17, 2008, 05:20:13 PM »

Have you tried the chews such as Paddywack or Pigs Ears? - these can take a fair while for a pup to chew through, and will allow him to get some chewing out of his system without being destructive!!
I would definately recommend the clicker training though - if Honey is being especially trying 10 mins of that and she calms down loads.... (tbh we don't do as much as we should at the minute  ph34r ).

From what I can gather at this age it's still very common for there to be a lot of chewing - Honey's never been very destructive, but does like to chew - she loves sticks  ::) as well as the chews I mentioned above, and cushions and her bed  ::) , but isn't a fan of nylabones etc.  So it may be a case of finding something Archie loves to chew (that he is allowed to!!!). 
Remembering Honey. Aug 2007-July 2020

Offline september

• Site Member
  • Summer is for ball throwing!
« Reply #23 on: July 17, 2008, 06:43:57 PM »
As Karma said does he have hard toys or chews that he is allowed to chew.  Roxy went through a chewing stage when her back teeth were coming through, she chewed a bit of skirting board, ripped a section of plaster off the wall and de-carpeted the bottom stair which she can get to in the kitchen and ate the underlay!!

She only did it when alone and I was worried she was bored.  She was already left with a filled frozen kong but I also got her a treat ball, which I put some of her kibble in and she has to roll it round to get the food and filled bones from the pet shop which she can literally chew for hours!

I think it was teeth rather than boredom as she stopped the distruction after a month or two.

do you play with him during the day? Roxy has indoor toys like a soft ball that can be thrown about inside without damage which we throw while watching tv! this again can amuse her for hours! or as someone said hide and seek type games!

I would try changing food as well.  Also you mention some of the stuff he has chewed like a teddy etc, if possible put every single chewable thing away so there is nothing left! I lost the electric wire of my straightners because I had left them on the floor!!

don't leave anything in puppy reach and maybe try and rotate toys so he doesn't get bored of them and always thinks he has something new.

Hope some of this helps.

Offline Sarah.H

• Site Member
  • charlie
« Reply #24 on: July 17, 2008, 09:03:32 PM »
he s just bought me an alarm clock with teeth marks. He does things slyly like he s teasing me with them.

I know it feels like they're doing it deliberately but dogs don't think this way, he's probably just learnt that he gets attention from you when he brings you something he 'shouldn't have'. I know you say you've read all the books, but have you read The Culture Clash by Jean Donaldson? Its fantastic for giving you an insight into why dogs do the things they do and what they're really thinking  :blink:.

Millie

Offline PennyB

« Reply #25 on: July 18, 2008, 12:03:10 AM »
he s just bought me an alarm clock with teeth marks. He does things slyly like he s teasing me with them.

I know it feels like they're doing it deliberately but dogs don't think this way, he's probably just learnt that he gets attention from you when he brings you something he 'shouldn't have'. I know you say you've read all the books, but have you read The Culture Clash by Jean Donaldson? Its fantastic for giving you an insight into why dogs do the things they do and what they're really thinking  :blink:.

and here are her top 10 tips

http://www.sfspca.org/behavior/top10.shtml
Friends of Hailey Park
Four Paws Animal Rescue (South Wales)

Cockers are just hooligans in cute clothing!

Offline anthony mazzeri

« Reply #26 on: July 18, 2008, 05:32:46 AM »
Glad I am not on my own, I will go and change his food my other thought was do you think he could be jealous of my grandson, Although my grandson was here first, There has been no nasty behaviour no aggression, like I say hes not got a bad bone in him.but some days they are both like 2 naughty boys and need to be kept apart. Anyone looking for a 3 yr old house trained and very polite. LOL.

It's a totally different issue when you have the pup around you all day. It means they expect your attention all day! Sounds just like my situation with my now 13 month old Alfred, except swap the grandchild with a fast growing kitten. Work from home so he's with me all day. Which means a whole days worth of getting my/your attention. Being around you all day, they learn quickly what does and doesn't get your attention away from your desk/computer/whatnot. Stealing stuff, chewing stuff, digging stuff... if you react, it works.

Funnily enough, I got the idea from when he's jumping on the cat for a wrestle, he actually pauses to look at me to see if I'm watching and if I will react (which I used to all the time - get off the cat!). So I decided last month not to give him attention on demand any more. I decided I would only react if he was doing something dangerous, and ignore everything else (like stealing socks or tissues, whining or pawing at me etc). He only gets my attention when I choose to, and I've found the best way is to have constant breaks throughout the day (irregularly, so he can't figure out when they'll be) when you call him over, make him sit and then reward by giving a chew treat or going into the yard for a bit of play for 5-10 minutes and then back inside.

I'm far from an expert so it's still a work in progress so he still steals things, but just leaves them now after a few seconds when it doesn't get any attention. Another reason for doing what I've done is I also learned that giving him attention over stolen goods makes them high value and he was beginning to 'resource guard' them at around the 8 month mark with growls etc, which has since abated though not gone completely yet. As I said, still a work in progress for both of us, but it's coming along well I think.

I've since learned what I mentioned above is similar to the NILIF (nothing in life is free) sort of training. You're the leader, not him. Not the 'boss', just the leader as in you decide when you want to play and what's worth playing with etc, not him.

PS. I agree with the food thing. Some preservatives and colourings in cheaper foods can make some dogs hyper like red cordial to a kid, but most pups are hyper anyway so it's hard to tell!

Offline stuffster

• Luna
« Reply #27 on: July 18, 2008, 06:54:19 AM »
Lots of brilliant advice on here.

Just throwing a couple of completely abstract ideas out there (because you are reaching the end of your tether so anything is worth a shot, right?)

What about trying a DAP infuser, which sends calming pheremones out, which may just relax your dog a little bit.

Also I was reading a bit about Tellington Ttouch yesterday (look it up on Google) - I dont know much about it and Im sure someone here will know more - but I was reading that it can be really beneficial to hyperactive and destructive dogs.

A behaviourist would be my first port of call though. Please dont give up - you WILL get through this.

I gave up a cat for rehoming because it had turned really vicious towards my children and the vet said he had turned his hunting instincts on them. Obviously I had no choice, but it felt awful and I missed him terribly.

Good luck with it all. Sending you lots of positive thoughts.

PURDEY AND LUNA <3

Offline yorky

« Reply #28 on: July 18, 2008, 02:13:45 PM »
I have just fitted the DAP collar to our new six year old to try and calm her down. I will see how this goes over the next couple of days and then let you know if you can hang around until then.

Offline bibathediva

• Site Member
  • SMILE
« Reply #29 on: July 18, 2008, 03:12:58 PM »

Tellington touch is a great idea  ;)...i am doing some classes with Biba and i have found the results really interesting....i can now get her to have a bath without shaking or trying to escape...she has become alot more sociable with other dog...she has always avoided other dog to the point of running in a wide arch around them  ::) and she is more chilled around Lola  :D...i have also put into practise what i have been shown on Lola and again i was really surprised at her reaction to it ...she went from a dog that was shaking so much in the bath that her teeth were clattering together to after 10 minutes of t-touch she had stopped shaking and was resting her head on my arm dozing  :o...it really is worth looking into  ;)
Also agree with Anthony about them demanding attention and then you reinforcing that by giving them attention..good or bad...its a great idea to play/train for 5-10 mins on your terms and when you decided  ;)