Author Topic: Cry For Help  (Read 3213 times)

Offline Eve

• Donator
    • www.yvonnehughes.co.uk
Re: Cry For Help
« Reply #30 on: July 18, 2008, 03:41:39 PM »

I would try a food change..it can make a BIG difference to there behaviour  ;)   apart from that his adult teeth could be bedding in which will make him want to chew  ;)

Our Reggie is 9 months old too and has become incredibly destructive suddenly, and also very stubborn. I am just putting this down to age and teeth.  I know this passes because our last cocker was a deligh eventually.
Glad I am not on my own, I will go and change his food my other thought was do you think he could be jealous of my grandson, Although my grandson was here first, There has been no nasty behaviour no aggression, like I say hes not got a bad bone in him.but some days they are both like 2 naughty boys and need to be kept apart. Anyone looking for a 3 yr old house trained and very polite. LOL.

Could be a little jealousy on his part, by being naughty is has your full attentionl

Offline JaspersMum

• Donator
« Reply #31 on: July 18, 2008, 06:57:53 PM »
Jasper was just like Archie and ended up on the notice board in the pet shop "free to good home"

That's when we had him, he chewed and dug and had driven two homes to give him up in his short life.  He came here and we'd never had a dog in our lives before.  I admit there were times when I wondered what the hell I'd landed us with. The plaster was chewed off the wall, the thresh-hold strip to the doors, cables and aerials.

He was walked more than he'd walked in his life he had all the love in the world but he still did this to my home  :'(

I become a member of COL and found out that the food I was giving him could be better (he was on Bakers) I decided on an area of the house I could put up with damage, the conservatory (which become his area when we were out and at night). We provided things he was allowed to chew.

Gradually the behaviour changed and we realised our baby was in fact growing up, he still unstuffs his toys and will chew up tennis balls and I dare say, if a bit of wallpaper happened to hang in his nose he could be tempted to tidy it for me....

Hang on in there, have a break if you can, think of the house as you would a small baby, remove trailing wires, remove anything that matters and find a safe area or a crate if necessary when you can't watch him - it does get better - HONEST  ;)

Jenny - owned by Jasper, Ellie, Heidi, Louie & Charlie

Offline Annette

• Site Member
« Reply #32 on: July 18, 2008, 07:00:08 PM »
Jasper was just like Archie and ended up on the notice board in the pet shop "free to good home"

That's when we had him, he chewed and dug and had driven two homes to give him up in his short life.  He came here and we'd never had a dog in our lives before.  I admit there were times when I wondered what the hell I'd landed us with. The plaster was chewed off the wall, the thresh-hold strip to the doors, cables and aerials.

He was walked more than he'd walked in his life he had all the love in the world but he still did this to my home  :'(

I become a member of COL and found out that the food I was giving him could be better (he was on Bakers) I decided on an area of the house I could put up with damage, the conservatory (which become his area when we were out and at night). We provided things he was allowed to chew.

Gradually the behaviour changed and we realised our baby was in fact growing up, he still unstuffs his toys and will chew up tennis balls and I dare say, if a bit of wallpaper happened to hang in his nose he could be tempted to tidy it for me....

Hang on in there, have a break if you can, think of the house as you would a small baby, remove trailing wires, remove anything that matters and find a safe area or a crate if necessary when you can't watch him - it does get better - HONEST  ;)

That's a fantastic post, Jenny. It would encourage me if I was in that position.

I don't recall Jasper's problem days, isn't that funny? :-\

Offline JaspersMum

• Donator
« Reply #33 on: July 18, 2008, 07:02:44 PM »

That's when we had him, he chewed and dug and had driven two homes to give him up in his short life.  He came here and we'd never had a dog in our lives before.  I admit there were times when I wondered what the hell I'd landed us with. The plaster was chewed off the wall, the thresh-hold strip to the doors, cables and aerials.

He was walked more than he'd walked in his life he had all the love in the world but he still did this to my home  :'(

Hang on in there, have a break if you can, think of the house as you would a small baby, remove trailing wires, remove anything that matters and find a safe area or a crate if necessary when you can't watch him - it does get better - HONEST  ;)

That's a fantastic post, Jenny. It would encourage me if I was in that position.

I don't recall Jasper's problem days, isn't that funny? :-\

No - nor do we often, he's 3 now and it seems such a long time ago - strange but the time we think about it is when we thank our stars for getting him, then I hadn't had the last few months of him chewing and I think 9months was probably the turning point for things getting better IYSWIM  :luv:

Offline Lynne L

« Reply #34 on: July 19, 2008, 11:33:41 PM »
We got a 'puppy play pen' for Paddy when we first got him- bigger than a crate and it became his little 'room' in the corner of the kitchen. If I was working from home and needed to focus without worrying what he was doing or needed to go out and to know he was safe - he went in there with the gate shut with his bed with lots of chews etc. and I knew he couldn't get to wires/table legs etc. We dismantled it when he was eighteen months old and past the 'chewing phase' and he moved into a normal bed under the pew in the kitchen. It certainly provided peace of mind and a safe place for Paddy and I would use it again with another pup - we have also lent it to friends with a collie pup who also found it v.usefu (althought the collie eventually could jump over the top which Paddy never could!
We bought it from a firm called Croft on line. http://www.croftonline.co.uk/mcp/Crufts_Freedom_puppy_pen.html
Don't know if this might help
Lynne

Offline henrys mum

• Site Member
« Reply #35 on: July 19, 2008, 11:57:41 PM »
Dont know if this is any help but when I took Henry to training it was suggested that a thin smear of Vick where pups were chewing may prevent them going back for another nibble.

Offline JAYPEZZ

• Site Member
  • NEW MOM TO ARCHIE.
« Reply #36 on: July 20, 2008, 08:23:44 PM »
Thanks everyone for you great tips , I have changed his food, I am completely blanking his bad behavior , I have spayed all the garden areas where I dont want him to dig with WD 40 I have read they dont like the smell. LOL. (We will see on that one) . Instead of all his toys being about I have removed  some ,and will change them round on different days. Been and bought loads of crock pots for plants and given him the plastic ones so he cant drag them round spilling contents. Been and bought a holder with a tennis ball so when we are at the park I can fling the ball and it goes much further than a throw .Got a clicker but not sure how to use it ( I need training on that one) So have started on positive attitudes and we will see how we go. Theres no way even if I am at the end of my tether would I give him up . Love him to much , But I am showing him I am the pack leader and if I dont like what he s doing hes having time out in his cage. I do love the idea of those pens might be a good idea for the Grandson. LOL. Thank you all again.
JAYX
New Mom to Archie.
Every Dog Should Have a Home.
Every Home Should Have A Dog.

Offline JaspersMum

• Donator
« Reply #37 on: July 20, 2008, 08:25:51 PM »
Thanks everyone for you great tips , I have changed his food, I am completely blanking his bad behavior , I have spayed all the garden areas where I dont want him to dig with WD 40 I have read they dont like the smell. LOL. (We will see on that one) . Instead of all his toys being about I have removed  some ,and will change them round on different days. Been and bought loads of crock pots for plants and given him the plastic ones so he cant drag them round spilling contents. Been and bought a holder with a tennis ball so when we are at the park I can fling the ball and it goes much further than a throw .Got a clicker but not sure how to use it ( I need training on that one) So have started on positive attitudes and we will see how we go. Theres no way even if I am at the end of my tether would I give him up . Love him to much , But I am showing him I am the pack leader and if I dont like what he s doing hes having time out in his cage. I do love the idea of those pens might be a good idea for the Grandson. LOL. Thank you all again.
JAYX

Glad you are feeling a lot more positive today, sometimes they really do try us though don't they  ::)  Good luck and keep us informed  ;)