Author Topic: whining  (Read 533 times)

Offline pamela

• Site Member
whining
« on: July 21, 2008, 11:27:35 PM »
Ben is 8yrs old now and getting a bit grumpy  ::) Lately he has started to whine and sometimes even bark whenever I stop on a walk. Today I could barely hear what my friend was saying when I met her, Ben had been on a good walk so it wasn't as if he was needing exercised. He has always whined a little when I stopped but lately it is becoming a rather embarrassing problem, anyone any ideas how I can put a stop to it?

Cazzie

Re: whining
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2008, 01:21:39 AM »
Id get him checked out with the vet. I had a springer here who did similar and he had problems with his ears  :-\ Maybe not that but was just an idea  :D

Offline Cob-Web

• Inactive
  • To err is human, to forgive, canine
    • Walking on Wight Blog
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2008, 06:26:51 AM »
I agree it is worth getting Ben checked out by a vet  :D  This in not unusual behaviour for cockers in my experience, but any sudden change in behaviour warrants a health check to rule out a medical problem first  ;)

If he gets a clean bill of health, then you could try "practising" stopping while you are out walking; reward him for quiet, calm behaviour by moving off again, and ignore the noise  ;)
Enrich your life with an Oldie!
Oldies Club

Offline pamela

• Site Member
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2008, 08:31:08 PM »
Thanks, he is going to the vet early next week, so I will mention checking his ears. He knows the wait command but it is as if every walk is his last and he has to keep going! I think some of it is just he is getting a bit grumpy in his old age  :blink: