Author Topic: Am i doing something wrong  (Read 2121 times)

Offline lilylulu

Am i doing something wrong
« on: July 29, 2008, 11:07:42 PM »
I am strugging to make Lily obey me. In fact she does what she wants. I am starting to worry. Any advice appreciated. Lily is now 14 weeks old.

Offline MegandMolly

• Donator
Re: Am i doing something wrong
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2008, 11:09:31 PM »
Sounds like a typical cocker pup! Have you tried training classes or clicker training? My girls were motivated by food treats and verbal praise
Sam (that's me), Meg (B&W cocker), Ruby (Blue Roan cocker) and Gemma (Black lab)

Offline CarolineL

• Site Member
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2008, 11:10:33 PM »
In what way are you struggling??

A very good way to get a pup to 'listen' to you, is to reward them when they do something right and ignore them when they do something wrong.

It took me a while to realise when I got Hurley that my expectations of him were way too high. It also took me a while to realise that he didnt understand 'English' and I had to teach it to him.

Lily will have no idea what is right and what is wrong, so you have to teach her.... the best rewards I found was either a piece of hot dog sausage (finger nail size) or a piece of cheese. Hurley will sell his soul for ham  :lol2: :lol2: and he soon started listening!!!  ;)
Caroline, Hurley the cocker, Jasper Cat and Little Mo xxxxx

"My name's not Hurley, it's Hugo Reyes. Hurley's just a nickname I have. Why?.... I'm not telling..."

Offline lilylulu

« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2008, 11:15:37 PM »
Thankyou for your help so quickly. I am trying so hard to make sure she is well behaved. When i take her out she just eats evrything and if i let her off lead she runs to anyone. She is adorable like most puppies but i just want people to leave her alone so i can controll her.

Offline CarolineL

• Site Member
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2008, 11:20:50 PM »
A good place to start is a decent recall and there is no better time to start it than now, while she is still young.

If you let her off the lead and every time use a cue phrase to call her back, when she comes back reward her with some yummy food and she'll soon learn that everytime she comes back she gets a fab reward!!! Its a good idea to start it now because once she hits her teenage months things can get a little more er... challenging!!!  ph34r :D
Caroline, Hurley the cocker, Jasper Cat and Little Mo xxxxx

"My name's not Hurley, it's Hugo Reyes. Hurley's just a nickname I have. Why?.... I'm not telling..."

Offline lilylulu

« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2008, 11:21:12 PM »
I bought a clicker but couldnt get the hang of it.Lily just chewed the pointer. Maybe should try training classes can anyone recommend any in the Nrth West.

Offline lilylulu

« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2008, 11:24:15 PM »
Thankyou Caroline i did try that today i think i must persevere. I got disheartened when someone picked her up.

Offline MegandMolly

• Donator
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2008, 11:28:51 PM »
Thankyou for your help so quickly. I am trying so hard to make sure she is well behaved. When i take her out she just eats evrything and if i let her off lead she runs to anyone. She is adorable like most puppies but i just want people to leave her alone so i can controll her.

Might be worth getting a long line training lead. They are in Pets at Home or there are some on ebay.
There are some good books available too, I've just read 'complete idiot's guide to dog training' and there are quite a lot on a recent thread on the anything goes section as I asked for recommendations, again there are a lot on ebay (can you tell I hate going to town shopping!)
Sam (that's me), Meg (B&W cocker), Ruby (Blue Roan cocker) and Gemma (Black lab)

Offline lilylulu

« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2008, 11:33:27 PM »
Thankyou I think i will try a long line maybe a whistle and lots of treats bribery sounds good to me.

Offline bibathediva

• Site Member
  • SMILE
« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2008, 11:34:17 PM »
Try teaching one thing at a time instead of trying to control it all at once  ;) baby dog...baby brain  ;) they only have a small attention span to start with..recall is one of the most important things for a pup and agree that the earlier the better...i started mine in the house and everytime i called there name and they came to me i would praise and treat them ..they soon pick up which way to go for the goodies  :005:
training classes are a great idea  ;) also clicker training is fab ...invest in a good book on clicker training it will show you how to get the most out of the clicker  :D

Cazzie

« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2008, 11:35:01 PM »
Id try and remedy this now, Can you explain by what you mean that she does as she pleases  :-\

Offline PennyB

« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2008, 11:36:18 PM »
It takes a while for a pup or new dog to bond with their owner.

I taught mine to focus on me using a small squeaky toy and also saying 'whats this' and as soon as they looked at me I gave them a treat (they were basically rewarded for focusing on me).

Don't be in a rush though as you may feel totally frustrated about it all and could set yourself up to fail --- teaching your pup is not a race plus also at this age they have tiny brains and short concentration spans so you will spend a lot of time repeating yourself plus you have to battle with the fact that each day there are also more distractions for her and her confidence will also grow. Don't worry if you both have bad days, it happens but its not the end of the world.
Friends of Hailey Park
Four Paws Animal Rescue (South Wales)

Cockers are just hooligans in cute clothing!

Offline ludo

• Site Member
  • Enya
    • Shirepark Cockers
« Reply #12 on: July 29, 2008, 11:38:55 PM »
Hi: awwwww  :luv: lovely puppy days  :angel: 14 weeks is very young and you have plenty of time to train Lily so try to relax and enjoy:blink: I hope what follows on will help you  :blink:

Clicker training is very good as are food treats and games.  There are a couple of books you might find helpful.  Ian Dunbar wrote a good book (easy read) 'After you get your puppy'; which gives you goals for the first 26 weeks of your puppies life.   :lol2: This book shows what to expect at each stage.  I found this very helpful and have lent it to a neighbour who has just got a puppy and she has found it has helped her as well.

I found getting Dax to focus on me was quite a challenge at around this age and I tried all sorts of things which were not effective.  I found an exercise on the internet which did the trick.  It teaches the puppy that eye contact and focussing on you is a good thing!  I feel it also builds up a trust between you as well.  It is really simple and effective so may be worth a go.  Here is what I did ...

a) sat on a low stool in the kitchen (clicker in hand)
b) had sausage in my other hand and held it at arms length at waist height.  And WAITED! (and said nothing at all)
c) he reeeeeelly wanted the sausage ... he went through quite a repertoire to try to get it ... swirling around jumping up round and round the stool.  I did not move - I waited in silence waiting for the golden moment when he gave eye contact THEN
 - he made eye contact for a split second CLICK TREAT - bingo he got the sausage - I could see the cogs whirrring  :005 working it out ...
d) I repeated the exercise - after 3 goes the penny dropped and he realised to get the sausage all he needed to do was to give me eye contact ... I repeated the exercise every day for a minute or so increasing the length of time he maintained eye contact before he got the sausage. 

I think this is one of the most useful exercises I have ever done with him and I still use it today (I have taught him watch and get full eye contact then and at other times when he sits and looks up at me - smashing!). 

The benefit of the exercise was that it was he who decided the eye contact was a good idea because it gets him what he wants.  :005: Dax is much older that your puppy - he is 9 months old but it laid the foundation for other exercises.

if you do some short training sessions with Lilly each day (no more than 2 to 3 mins for now) using clicker training (see Karen Pryors website for some good easy reads on clicker training) you will start to see a difference gradually over time.

training classes are an excellent idea but please go and see them first to make sure they are ok - the APDT website gives a list of trainers in your local area who use kind training methods.

I hope this helps a bit ... good luck and enjoy!  ;)
http:www.shireparkcockers.co.uk

Offline ludo

• Site Member
  • Enya
    • Shirepark Cockers
« Reply #13 on: July 29, 2008, 11:40:20 PM »
I bought a clicker but couldnt get the hang of it.Lily just chewed the pointer. Maybe should try training classes can anyone recommend any in the Nrth West.

ps: Just seen your requst; if you are in the North West, I can highly recommend Lynn Fleet.  She is absolutely fab and knows what she is doing - I will pm you the details.   ;)
http:www.shireparkcockers.co.uk

Offline tiamaria

• CHARLEY CHOPS
« Reply #14 on: July 29, 2008, 11:44:40 PM »

ps: Just seen your requst; if you are in the North West, I can highly recommend Lynn Fleet.  She is absolutely fab and knows what she is doing - I will pm you the details.   ;)

Can you copy and paste it to me also please?  :D :D :D

REUBY DOOO!