Author Topic: long lines  (Read 794 times)

Offline waggytails

• Millie and Hattie
long lines
« on: August 22, 2008, 05:30:08 PM »
Not sure if this is in the right place, My puppy Hattie seems to be doing quite well at recall in the garden but I'm not to confident about in open space's and would be worried about loosing her, so I was wondering what you think about those long lines.  Ive seen a 15m one for sale on ebay at 14.99.  My questions are

Is it suitable for what I want it for
How do you use one
Is that long enough.
Is she to young to use one

By the way Hattie is 17 weeks old on Sunday
Mum to Hattie and Darcy

(Millie now forever playing on the beach,  RIP 06/03/2010)

Offline Jay06

• Site Member
Re: long lines
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2008, 06:19:38 PM »
hi,

If you want it for practicing recall then its fine.
Bailey is 2 and needs 'reminding' to come back when called so i'm using on him just now!  :005:
I just attach it to his harness, don't attach it to her collar as if you need to stop the lead say with ur foot, her neck will take the full force and it could potentially be dangerous
The one i have is 15m - i got it from http://www.collarsandtags.co.uk/long-line-tracking-lead-metres-p-477.html delivery is £2
She's never too young to practice with - i think these long lines are great!!!

Offline johndoran

• Site Member
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2008, 06:24:06 PM »
you can get a much longer one at pets at home which Will be better.when bonnie boo was a puppy we went to a local grassed area and one of us held her and the other walked away the distance of the line and shouted  bonnie come and jumped up and down and generally behaved silly but it did the trick and we had her attention. she is now 21 months and i have the confidence to let her run but still shout and fuss her when she comes back to me.
Bonnie Boo -A heartbeat at my feet

Offline Magic Star

• Site Member
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2008, 06:31:10 PM »
I have one of these its only 9m but I don't like them too long as you can't always see your dog and theres a danger they could be ravelled up in bushes or something ;)

Its a horses lunge reign, really comfie handle and a bargain at £5 :D

http://www.robinsons-uk.com/products/search.asp?keyword=lunge+&x=0&y=0#sku.35212

Offline chickrockguitar

• Site Member
  • My Little Marlee Boy!
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2008, 09:29:39 PM »
Marlee has a 30ft one.

AND I HATE IT THE THING!!!

I used to use it for the park, as he tends to um... "go nuts" and mostly doesn't come back until HE wants to. The park is pretty huge and enclosed, but there are busy roads outside the gates (that's why I prefer taking him to our local River park. It's far away from cars etc).

The reason I hate it: If he's not wrapping himself around tree's with it, he's getting caught up when he finds other dogs - last week, he found this other dog - who came out of know where! - and his owners got caught up in it too, they had to keep jumping it cos the two dogs wouldn't stop running around in circles.

I am now, NOT using it again.

If you can find a nice open space, like a big field or something with no trees, other people or dogs then, it can be a good idea. But I just wanted to warn you of what can happen in a local park etc.

I can laugh about it now, but at the time, it wasn't funny. :005:

Look's like I'm going to have to work on Marlee's recall without it. Although that said, he's much better at recall then he used to be. Even better at the River park, than our local park - which is kind of annoying, as our local park is five mins walk away and the River park is about ten mins drive away - and as I don't drive I have to rely on my folks.

Have a go and see how you get on. Good luck.

Offline Sarah.H

• Site Member
  • charlie
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2008, 09:37:16 PM »
Marlee has a 30ft one.

AND I HATE IT THE THING!!!

I used to use it for the park, as he tends to um... "go nuts" and mostly doesn't come back until HE wants to. The park is pretty huge and enclosed, but there are busy roads outside the gates (that's why I prefer taking him to our local River park. It's far away from cars etc).

The reason I hate it: If he's not wrapping himself around tree's with it, he's getting caught up when he finds other dogs - last week, he found this other dog - who came out of know where! - and his owners got caught up in it too, they had to keep jumping it cos the two dogs wouldn't stop running around in circles.

I am now, NOT using it again.

If you can find a nice open space, like a big field or something with no trees, other people or dogs then, it can be a good idea. But I just wanted to warn you of what can happen in a local park etc.

I can laugh about it now, but at the time, it wasn't funny. :005:

Look's like I'm going to have to work on Marlee's recall without it. Although that said, he's much better at recall then he used to be. Even better at the River park, than our local park - which is kind of annoying, as our local park is five mins walk away and the River park is about ten mins drive away - and as I don't drive I have to rely on my folks.

Have a go and see how you get on. Good luck.

I really feel for you as this is what I've gone through with Millie, its worked though  :D :D We're now down to about 8 feet  :lol2:

waggytails be carefull when approaching other people, I always call Millie back to me to stop her tripping people up. We tripped my Mum up two weeks ago and she broke her wrist  ph34r.

Millie

Offline chickrockguitar

• Site Member
  • My Little Marlee Boy!
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2008, 10:00:33 PM »
Oh the amount of time my poor Lhasa cross had been tripped up by the thing. :005:
Even with me constantly trying to shoo him away from the line, lol.

Offline Lilly's Mum

• Lilly and Harvey
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2008, 02:38:48 PM »
I had one of these for my then 11month old black lab (14 week old cocker won't stray and comes straight back when called...go figure!)

I put him on it, and for some reason had the handle round my wrist. my son hit a ball for him to chase and he went off at speed. Needless to say I could not get it off before he had pulled me off my feet.

I suffered a broken collar bone that I am still currently recovering from. Although I realize I am a complete pudding and a sandwich short of a picnic I would hate for someone else to suffer, so please bear this in mind.

Angela xxx