Author Topic: Found: Blue Roan - South Gloucestershire  (Read 3116 times)

Offline emilyjw

• Site Member
  • However crap the day cocker kisses aren't far away
    • Four Paws Animal Rescue (South Wales)
Found: Blue Roan - South Gloucestershire
« on: September 13, 2008, 06:52:49 PM »
Found on the 8th September

This dog was found last night in an area that frequently turns up stolen dogs. Looks well cared for so probably not missing for long. Proof of ownership/ID required. South Glos Dog Wardens 01454 865886. It had a black collar on.

It's 7 days are up tomorrow, so looks like it may be rehomed...
Emily & the Jabracken fluffies - Bracken, Hermes and Jasminex

http://www.fourpawsanimalrescue.org.uk

Offline lolajays

• Site Member
  • Little miss Maudie pants and the beautiful Alice!
Tracey, Maudie and Alice x

Offline emilyjw

• Site Member
  • However crap the day cocker kisses aren't far away
    • Four Paws Animal Rescue (South Wales)
Re: Found: Blue Roan - South Gloucestershire
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2008, 10:41:57 AM »
I think so, guess nobody has claimed him. I guess he is up for rehoming now.
Emily & the Jabracken fluffies - Bracken, Hermes and Jasminex

http://www.fourpawsanimalrescue.org.uk

Offline lolajays

• Site Member
  • Little miss Maudie pants and the beautiful Alice!
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2008, 01:25:38 PM »
Im sure he will be homes quickly but such a shame I thought he was someones pet and they would claim him, he is so lovely!
Tracey, Maudie and Alice x

Offline Cob-Web

• Inactive
  • To err is human, to forgive, canine
    • Walking on Wight Blog
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2008, 06:09:59 PM »
such a shame I thought he was someones pet and they would claim him, he is so lovely!

He may well be a much loved pet; too often, the stautory 7 days is not long enough for an owner to reclaim their dog - if he was taken from the area he lives and then dumped elsewhere, his owners may be searching for him miles away - dog warden services at neighbouring councils don't have to liaise with each other  :'( 

This is where microchipping is critical - if he had been chipped, then he could have been reunited straight away  :-\
Enrich your life with an Oldie!
Oldies Club

Offline Milliemoppet

• Millie after her pups
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2008, 02:35:58 PM »
Microchipping is NOT the only answer.  Some fail or migrate and cause dreadful pain.  My cocker bitch has a microchip and a pet passport.  Had I not bred from her she would have ended up in quarantine for 6 months.  Very long story but her chip failed and now she sports 2 with no guarantee that failure won't occur again.  It was all very stressful at the time and Defra were worse than useless.  To date, there have been over 1400 dogs quarantined due to microchip failure under PetPassportScheme - some were PTS coz owners couldn't afford costs.  Back-up proof of ownership with DNA is now available thru KC, plus there are Tattoos.  In cases of proving theft, Tattoos & DNA are accepted as proof of identity by UK courts - not microchips.  A more full-proof way of identification needs to be found - even the chip manufacturers agree it is not foolproof and insurers are now underwriting quarantine costs.  Unfortunately too little has been highlighted about these failures - people (me included) believe 100% they are protecting their animals with chips.  Not so.  Please, every time you go to the vet get them to scan your animal to protect both you and them from unnecessary distress.  It may well save their life!  I really hope the blue roan is one of the lucky ones. :luv: Lorna, Millie & Frankie

Offline Cob-Web

• Inactive
    • Walking on Wight Blog
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2008, 06:34:07 PM »
Microchipping is NOT the only answer.  Some fail or migrate and cause dreadful pain.  My cocker bitch has a microchip and a pet passport.  Had I not bred from her she would have ended up in quarantine for 6 months.  Very long story but her chip failed and now she sports 2 with no guarantee that failure won't occur again.  It was all very stressful at the time and Defra were worse than useless.  To date, there have been over 1400 dogs quarantined due to microchip failure under PetPassportScheme - some were PTS coz owners couldn't afford costs.  Back-up proof of ownership with DNA is now available thru KC, plus there are Tattoos.  In cases of proving theft, Tattoos & DNA are accepted as proof of identity by UK courts - not microchips.  A more full-proof way of identification needs to be found - even the chip manufacturers agree it is not foolproof and insurers are now underwriting quarantine costs.  Unfortunately too little has been highlighted about these failures - people (me included) believe 100% they are protecting their animals with chips.  Not so.  Please, every time you go to the vet get them to scan your animal to protect both you and them from unnecessary distress.  It may well save their life!  I really hope the blue roan is one of the lucky ones. :luv: Lorna, Millie & Frankie

I'm sorry to hear of your problems - clearly the Pet Passport scheme is not without it's weaknesses  ph34r

I never meant to imply that microchipping was failsafe - but without a chip, dogs like the one this thread is about have a much lower chance of being reunited with their owners  :'(  Councils don't have the resources, or the time, to DNA screen all the strays that they pick up  :huh:
Oldies Club

Offline Milliemoppet

• Millie after her pups
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2008, 08:23:04 PM »
Dear Cob-Web

I take on board what you say but there are alternatives - DNA is not the only option.

Tattoos are a prerequisite of owning a pet in much of Europe, along side the chip.  The UK choose not to accept the merits of Tattoos stating ears will be chopped off - something that is often done with retired Greyhounds.  I have also been told by Defra that they don't accept them becoz they fade - surgical spirit will always bring up their tattoo number when applied.

The statistics I gave were only for PPS dogs - I have met cocker breeders who have chipped all their pups before rehoming only to be told one month later no chip reading was available.  Dog owners within the UK cannot rely on microchipping as a responsible and fail safe way of safe guarding their animals (pets) from theft, straying and identification.  It costs less to DNA an animal than chip it - it costs less to Tattoo an animal than chip it.  I took my bitch Millie to four vets to have her scanned believing the scan machines may have been faulty!!!!!  What was faulty was the chip >:D

There have been numerous cases of dog knapping in recent years  >:(- especially pedigree dogs - why therefore are not more basic and secure measures being offered to protect US and THEM?

This is a contentious issue for me - I will confess - but it is an unnecessary issue for any animal lover/owner to have to go through :huh:.  £15 is the cost of DNA - totally fullproof - with demand increased this cost would come down.  I have spoken with the labs that conduct these tests and they would do the DNA check (at time of loss/find) for a nominal fee.  Do you believe animal owners would not be willing to pay this to be reunited with their pet?  The insurers already cover for advertising etc.,. this is a small price to pay.  Sorry if I am lambasting, Millie (the one with the broken chip) goes for surgery tomorrow and I am a bit anxious.  I just want protection for ALL pets. :blink:
 :luv: Lorna

Offline Cob-Web

• Inactive
    • Walking on Wight Blog
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2008, 09:45:15 PM »
Do you believe animal owners would not be willing to pay this to be reunited with their pet?  The insurers already cover for advertising etc.,. this is a small price to pay. 

Many of us already do pay for DNA profile of their pet to be created and stored in case of theft  ;)

I know that if either of my dogs were picked up by the dog warden; the wardens would scan for a chip, but not shave their ears to look for a tattoo, or pay for a vet to take a blood sample. It makes my choice easy - at least if my dog is chipped, it significantly increases the chances of my being reunited with them.   
If my dog strays, and I do not reclaim him within 7 days, then my dog can legally be rehomed or PTS; and even if I can prove at a later date that he was mine - through his DNA screening, or a tattoo found by a groomer -  it is too late because my dog is no longer mine  :-\

Chips are not without their faults....but despite that, they play an important role, and should be encouraged as one of a range of options, with their limitations explained  ;)

I hope Millie recovers well.
Oldies Club

Offline Milliemoppet

• Millie after her pups
« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2008, 10:37:15 PM »
So, isn't it time we start to educate the public, the wardens, the re-homers etc.,. give all those lost and stolen dogs a chance.  We might even get the chippers involved - and certainly the insurers..........................................

Nothing ventured nothing gained.  Thanks for the wishes for Millie. :blink:

Offline Jane S

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2008, 10:52:36 PM »
If you want to discuss microchipping or other means of identification, it's best to start a new thread elsewhere as the threads on this board are really just for specific information about lost and found dogs.

Jane

Offline Milliemoppet

• Millie after her pups
« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2008, 01:00:22 AM »
Thanks, I'll do that  :blink: :blink: :blink: :blink: :blink: