Author Topic: Anyone else has/had a working cocker as their first dog?  (Read 7031 times)

Offline SkyeSue

• Inactive
Anyone else has/had a working cocker as their first dog?
« on: December 01, 2008, 10:05:53 PM »
Feeling a bit upset...apparently my vet (well vet's daughter who is in training to be a vet) made a comment to my friend that Chloe wasn't really appropriate for me as a first dog! Apart from the fact that I think that was a bit out of order to make such a comment to my friend; I am wondering what other first time (working) cocker owners experiences are? I always knew she'd be hard work, but I'm 100% commited to her and devoting soooo much time to doing things right and to the best of my ability. Anyone out there care to share any difficulties they had with their first dog?

Sue and Chloe, happy girls on the Isle of Skye

Offline Beth

• Site Member
Re: Anyone else has/had a working cocker as their first dog?
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2008, 10:08:34 PM »
I don't think it matters what breed your first dog is, they're always gonna be a shock to the system. :005:

I think it was a very unprofessional comment for them to make, and from your posts it sounds like you're doing great with her. :D
Owned by Jarvis (Cocker), and Lucy (Cavalier).

Offline SkyeSue

• Inactive
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2008, 10:10:28 PM »
I don't think it matters what breed your first dog is, they're always gonna be a shock to the system. :005:

I think it was a very unprofessional comment for them to make, and from your posts it sounds like you're doing great with her. :D

Aww thanks so much for that Beth.

Offline Beth

• Site Member
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2008, 10:12:36 PM »
Oh, and for what it's worth, Jarvis was my second dog and i still found him a nightmare as a pup and made lots of mistakes with him. ::)
Owned by Jarvis (Cocker), and Lucy (Cavalier).

Offline SkyeSue

• Inactive
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2008, 10:16:01 PM »
Oh, and for what it's worth, Jarvis was my second dog and i still found him a nightmare as a pup and made lots of mistakes with him. ::)

I think the vet's daughter is going by Chloe's behaviour when we've been in there..she just gets so excited and wants to greet everyone and play. But I'd rather she was like that than be all nervous about going to the vets!

Offline vikki.k

• My gorgeous boys
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2008, 10:19:25 PM »

I think the vet's daughter is going by Chloe's behaviour when we've been in there..she just gets so excited and wants to greet everyone and play. But I'd rather she was like that than be all nervous about going to the vets!

I wouldn't worry, Baja sounds exactly the same as Chloe when he is at the vets.

I think you are doing a great job and wouldn't worry about other peoples comments!

Offline bibathediva

• Site Member
  • SMILE
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2008, 10:28:50 PM »

Biba (show cocker)was my second dog but my first pup  ;) first dog was a 2 year old rescue ....and i also had no idea what a pup entailed  :o was a shock to the system and i too made tons of errors with her as a pup  ph34r but you live and learn pretty damn quick  if you want to stay sane  :005:

People could have said my first dog wasnt suitable as a new dog owner   :huh: as she was a rescue with tons of issues...i had 2 small children and her energy was endless...she just didnt know when to stop  ::) but she made the most loving loyal dog who spent 15 years with us  :luv:

I always say only worry about the comments people make if these people are important to you  ;)

Offline johndoran

• Site Member
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2008, 10:46:19 PM »
Bonnie Boo is a working cocker and as a puppy she was a handfull but as she was our first dog i wasn't really prepared,should have found C.O.L earlier as i soon realised that she was just being a puppy. She is now  just over two years old and i love her more with each passing week she has turned into a loveable,adorable, sometimes norty beauty who loves everybody hoomans and other dogs alike and everybody seems to like her. I wouldn't part with her for the world you could say (and i know its sad) that she is my world. apart from the O.H of course
Bonnie Boo -A heartbeat at my feet

Offline GothPuppy

• Spaniel rock 'n roll
« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2008, 10:49:02 PM »
Our riley is our first dog and a working cocker and has been an absolute angel from day one. Sure he nipped when he was teething and steals my bed but we have had no trouble at all, i think will all due respect that comment is a load of rubbish! :shades:

Offline Helen

• helen noakes jewellery
« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2008, 10:59:49 PM »
i think will all due respect that comment is a load of rubbish! :shades:

actually I don't agree  :-\

I don't think a working cocker is generally the best choice for a novice dog owner - and I don't mean you SkyeSue as you are working really hard with Chloe and it shows  :luv:

I mean the people that buy a working cocker without even knowing the difference between working and show and not knowing what they've bought until they query what a FT CH is.  That therefore means they have no idea of the drive, intellect and stimulation a dog like this entails - as much the fault of the breeders for selling them 'make ideal pets'.

And yes I know there are exceptions and some lazier working cockers that don't 'need' the activity and stimulation we give Jarvis. I'm also grateful I knew exactly the work that I needed to put into Jarv as a pup and adolescent to get the dog I have today (and training him will never end - there's always more for both of us to learn).

I don't think a working cocker is a city dog at all - just my opinion  :-\
helen & jarvis x

Offline Jan/Billy

• Site Member
« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2008, 11:05:57 PM »
I think as the comment clearly wasn't an "in general" comment and was actually aimed at you Sue, and when you say you are 100% committed to her and are managing her fine etc then yes I agree it's a rubbish comment . All because she was giddy in the vets, wanted to greet everyone and just play, isn't that what all cockers do regardless of owner ?

Offline Nicola

• FTCh Caoimhe
« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2008, 11:12:30 PM »
i think will all due respect that comment is a load of rubbish! :shades:
actually I don't agree  :-\

Me neither funnily enough :005:  I agree with what Helen has said, I don't think that most working Cockers are a good choice for most novice dog owners. Alfie was my first dog of my own but we'd had working Springers in the family for years and I knew lots of Cockers from going on shoots and they were exactly what I wanted and I knew how to train him but even then he was a very challenging pup/adolescent. I don't think the vet's daughter was right to make a specific comment about you and Chloe to your friend but in general I do agree with the sentiment.
Nicola, Tilly, Rodaidh and Caoimhe x

http://www.flickr.com/photos/30049807@N08/

Offline chickrockguitar

• Site Member
  • My Little Marlee Boy!
« Reply #12 on: December 01, 2008, 11:28:52 PM »
Marlee is my third dog in the last 17/18 or so years. First I had a rescue Westie, Freddy, at the age of 7 or 8 (he passed away Aug 2007), then Bailey at 15, and now Marlee at 23. And, it's STILL a shock to the system!! 2nd time round with a pup (okay, it's a little different this time round as I did bring up Marlee completely on my own, whereas I had my mothers help with Bailey) and it gets no easier! Haha. Although, I do have to give it to him, Marlee, 98% of the time has been an Angel from day one.

Marlee is the same. He LOVES the vets. If we even walk past he wants to go in. And when he does go in, it seems he's the same as Chloe. Wants to meet and play with everyone, dogs, cats, people, lol. I must look a mess at trying to calm him sometimes. I'm hoping it'll come with age, as he's still young.

I'd say Cocker's aren't a first time dog, as a rule. BUT that said, if you have done your homework, know the breed and its needs etc, and you put 100% in, then I don't see the problem.

Like I said, I'd had two dogs before Marlee, okay, smaller, less energetic dogs, but still. I was always surrounded by BCs, Lurchers, and other energy-type close family dogs, so even all my homework, and knowing what to expect, Marlee was still a shock to us, but, I'd say a part from having trouble with his walk-to-heal-on-a-lead, as a family we are doing fantastic woth our first Cocker, it's so nice to have an active dog. And, in the future, another worker is deff on the cards.

Offline Colin

• Administrator
  • Stevie
    • Jimmy Misty & Stevie Videos
« Reply #13 on: December 02, 2008, 12:18:09 AM »

As a novice owner almost 7 years ago I think I'd have really struggled with a working dog - and in the London parks I increasingly see 1st time owners who have homed Cockers without realising they are working strain and are clearly finding things very difficult. Had I got one by accident I'd have stuck by it through thick and thin though, as many COLers have - but 1st time ownership can be hard enough without coping with the extra demands of a dog with a high working drive that needs extra stimulation to keep it happy and content.

Having said that, Show Cockers can also have a very high working drive too. Stevie is my 3rd cocker and totally different to my first two - when out walking at least. At home she's  really easy-going and a dream dog to own but offlead on walks she is a real hunter/explorer ( even onlead she quarters like  a working dog), it was a real shock to the system for me at first - she covers at least 3 times the ground Jimmy and Misty do on walks and her comfort distance from me is way beyond theirs. Whereas Jimmy and Misty tend to stick to the main path, it's not good enough for Stevie who needs to go off, out of sight, into all the bushes and undergrowth doing her own thing. The chances of having a Cocker like this are obviously increased if it is 'working' rather than 'show' strain... I can cope fine with Stevie's little ways, it would have been a whole lot harder if I'd been a novice owner though 

Offline cazza

• Site Member
« Reply #14 on: December 02, 2008, 04:30:53 AM »
Firstly I would be very cross - that the vets daughter had said something about you and your dog to your friend

Secondly I would take it with a pinch of salt as you are doing a great job  ;)

As for the working cocker as a first dog - I had always had labs before and I can honestly say I was not 100% prepared for my first working cocker  :shades:
I've made mistakes with Fern and by golly some of them have been hard to change around but we have got there  :D through hard work and dedication (labs are a doddle to train compared to a cocker imo from my experience  ;) )

So I agree with Livercake and Nicola - but not only as a novice owner but a first time cocker owner too. And agree 100% with
1st time ownership can be hard enough without coping with the extra demands of a dog with a high working drive that needs extra stimulation to keep it happy and content.