Author Topic: Help needed  (Read 668 times)

Offline waggytails

• Millie and Hattie
Help needed
« on: December 04, 2008, 07:10:50 PM »
Can anyone advice me on what to do with my puppy Hattie, She hides when I get the lead out or put my coat on, she runs to her create and no amount of coaxing will get he out, if I shut the create before she can get in then she runs under the table.  She actually enjoys the walks, its just getting her ready to go.  I'm hoping she will just grow out of it, but if any of you can help it would be appreciated as it took 20 mins this morning.  She is 7 months old.
Mum to Hattie and Darcy

(Millie now forever playing on the beach,  RIP 06/03/2010)

Offline wrenside

• Site Member
Re: Help needed
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2008, 08:22:41 PM »
Gosh I've never had this kind of problem! Sounds like she's frightened of the leaving for a walk set up. 

You could try to desensitise her to the lead and the coat by leaving the lead out somewhere where she can sniff it, watch it and get accustomed to it, and also hang your coat on the back of a chair or something so that again she can have a good look at it at her leisure. Put your coat on intermittently during the day doing normal things, like walking out into the garden or sitting down and watching tv. Don't force her to go for a walk if she really doesn't want to as you'll just compound her fear of the situation. Break down the frightening components into bitesized pieces and reintroduce them to her slowly and with a lot of praise when she accepts them as being okay.

Maybe even play with her on the floor with the lead and treat her if she happily goes up to it.
If she's frightened of the lead being clipped onto her, then sit on the floor with a handful of tasty treats and when she's snuffling some of those clip the lead onto her, if she's unhappy about it then unclip it and try again a bit later.

I'm sure she just needs some re assurance about the whole set up, so break it down for her in a friendly way and let her investigate each different thing seperately so that she doesn't get overwhelmed by it all.

Good luck with her  :luv:

Mary xxx

Offline Mudmagnets

• Site Member
  • My boys
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2008, 08:45:15 PM »
Can anyone advice me on what to do with my puppy Hattie, She hides when I get the lead out or put my coat on, she runs to her create and no amount of coaxing will get he out, if I shut the create before she can get in then she runs under the table.  She actually enjoys the walks, its just getting her ready to go.  I'm hoping she will just grow out of it, but if any of you can help it would be appreciated as it took 20 mins this morning.  She is 7 months old.

So that peeps may help you better, can you tell us please is Hattie a new puppy to you and also is this a new problem she has, may make a difference with the advice offered ;)

Remembering Smudge 23/11/2006 - 3/8/2013, and Branston 30/8/14 - 28/10/22 both now at the Bridge.

Offline bluegirl

• Site Member
    • www.millionhairsdoggrooming.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2008, 12:16:46 PM »
I'm sure Wendy won't mind me adding that Hattie is about 7 mths old now and she's had her from 8 wks. She's a real live wire who loves anyone who comes to the house. She lives with an elderly dog who is more than willing to go for a walk when she see's Wendy getting ready. I walk with my pup with Wendy and Hattie on a regular basis and once out she's fine. Can be a little timid with upfront or noisy dogs but more than willing to wrestle around with mine and has heaps of energy. She's not keen on being hooked up to a lead or having her harness put on which seems to be why she is behaving as she does and when we are out she will come back when called but again if she knows it lead time she'll come back but remains just out of reach of being caught. She's off the lead for most of the walk so it's doesn't seem to be about I'm free so I'm not coming back and as I said she thoroughly enjoys the walk and isn't fearful of things like cars, people etc.
Karen, Penny, Logan, Phoebe and Bronte.

"Life is a series of dogs".    George Carlin

I was going to take over the world but got distracted by something sparkly.

Offline PennyB

« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2008, 01:22:12 PM »
May be try working with her when you're not intending to go out as well and try the lead and treats and just sit there with a lead nearby and give her a treat then work nearer and nearer to putting the lead on and make it an excinting big deal when she does (overexaggerate the praise along with treats).
Friends of Hailey Park
Four Paws Animal Rescue (South Wales)

Cockers are just hooligans in cute clothing!

Offline SimonandMandy

« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2008, 03:47:25 PM »
If it helps I think it is an age thing.  Harvey pulling plenty of stunts like this especially as he seems to know the difference between walks and trips in the car (could be as simplie as what jacket I put on).  He loves the destination of both but has both teenager and car issues.  We have started clicker training for getting ready, changing routine so putting harness on before I even think about getting ready some days, and vice versa.  I am trying to break routine as we either get extreme excitement or running away.  If you have time try to ignore the bad behaviour and reward the good.  I took 7 attempts one morning, even had my shower first in the end and eventually I had a very meek and calm boy who turned the brown eye charm on....

I don't have an answer as we are currently working through this so looks forward to tips on this thread as well...