Author Topic: Spaniels - concentration span of a gnat! Discuss...  (Read 6887 times)

Offline LouiseH

• Site Member
  • Lourisma Moon Quest
    • Lourisma Cocker Spaniels
Re: Spaniels - concentration span of a gnat! Discuss...
« Reply #45 on: January 17, 2009, 09:07:53 PM »
Well Molly is at about a gnat and a half !!
She is just 3 and I am really trying to teach her to bring things back to me - - I roll the Kong thing, she brings it back and drops it ( accompanied by much clapping and praise) I roll the Knog she picks it up - - and goes back to bed and lies ontop of it.
Grandson (21months) is also trying his best to get her to bring it back more than once sadly we are both failures.

Perhaps she doesn't approve of the "reward"  ;) try something yummy such as cheese or chicken. This week we had to teach a trick before the next class and Cleo pretty much has it mastered with two attempts, we have been teaching her to "spin" and we have to try and tone down our treats to something a little more boring to reduce the "bounce" we get  :005:! i.e. standing on 2 legs twirling round for a lump of cheese! the reward can be different depending on what you are teaching, for example we don't use cheese for practicing "leave" just yet, we have mastered it with t-towels and toys but not treats  ph34r they are just too tempting  ;) but it is only week 4 for Cleo.
Louise Harrison
Lourisma Cocker Spaniels