Author Topic: What's the best thing you've taught you're dog?  (Read 2421 times)

Offline emderpenguin

What's the best thing you've taught you're dog?
« on: February 11, 2009, 10:21:30 AM »
I'm thinking a bit more outside the 'sit, down, come/heel' commands.

Both Kye and (finally) Pepper will now wait at the front door with it wide open. Which come in so usefull when i'm taking things out to the bin or brining shopping in from the car. Or trying to open the cage door to let them IN the car  :005:

Just thought it would be nice to have a positive post in this section :)

Offline Elspeth

Re: What's the best thing you've taught you're dog?
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2009, 10:27:38 AM »
Not useful, but very cute. "Tummy time" means roll over at let me rub your tummy  :luv:

Offline Mundyboy

« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2009, 10:42:30 AM »
Feet!  Both dogs lift one foot at a time to be wiped after being outside.  Funny thing is if I clean Mundy first Jenni lifts her feet in turn even though I am nowhere near her!   :-*
I love my dogs.  They make it worth getting out of bed in the morning.

Offline seaangler

« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2009, 10:58:57 AM »
At the moment we are trying to get our dog to open his own food....

The last attemp we mannage to train our dog to do it for a whole week befor going away on holiday..But failed to tell her we was on a fortnights holiday... ;)

Putting the towel down on the floor so she can dry her self off that she is doing fairly well at the moment...

Gemma..Cindy And peggy

Offline eljaybee1956

• Site Member
  • Dad's busy...Can I take your message?
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2009, 10:59:11 AM »
Feet!  Both dogs lift one foot at a time to be wiped after being outside.  Funny thing is if I clean Mundy first Jenni lifts her feet in turn even though I am nowhere near her!   :-*

And here was I thinking you would teach them how to open a bottle of red!!!  :lol2: :lol2: :rofl1: :rofl1:
"Cockers are LOVE on four paws, & LOVE comes in many colours" - Carol Lee DAWSON (Breeder)

Offline Harveypops

• Donator
  • owned by Harvey and my honery cocker Flea
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2009, 11:11:11 AM »

I wish Harvey knew fit as I wouldn't have to be getting quotes for wooden flooring. :005: Wave is the funniest hting I've tought him. He'll wave for anything. I was on the phone whilst he was in the garden. Half way through the conversation I realised he was at the back door waving for me to get in. :005: :005:

Offline JenSam

• Site Member
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2009, 11:15:45 AM »
Has to be 'no bites'.

When drying Sam paws when he comes in from a walk he mouths your hand.  As soon as I say 'no bites' he starts licking you instead!  :D
Dogs are natural optimists and believe if they stare hard enough and long enough, the icing on the cake could be theirs.

Offline lisalh

• Donator
  • Fred
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2009, 11:21:28 AM »
Fred 'assumes the position' on the back mat when we come in from walks so he can get dried off-is so funny he stands all stretched out-tail straight out behind him so you can rub his belly first then his tail then his paws and finally his ears :luv: :luv:
The most affectionate creature in the world is a wet dog.  ~Ambrose Bierce

Offline Elspeth

« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2009, 11:30:16 AM »
Ooo, Fern doesn't bark but she does this cute howly thing. Which she will do (if she's in the mood) when you say "What are you saying?".

Aw, i love my doggy

Offline supergirl

• Wonderful Indie
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2009, 11:33:09 AM »
Whilst not the best thing or most useful, Misha will spin on command rather than do it continuously.  I  think its a cocker thing, but the spinning was getting out of hand, anytime you moved Misha would spin with excitement.  Now after a bit of clicker training & treats, she'll mostly do it when asked so that she can get a treat.

However the best thing is when you say the word "cuddles" to either of them - it starts a free for all bundle as they jump up to the sofa and you to get their cuddles.  Whilst visitors might not appreciate it I love it.

The other thing is chatting to Roly, who is a very vocal dog, and will chat back for ages.
Misha, Ellie, Roly, Lexi (& Karen)

People who have dogs live longer - it's all the extra love

Offline Harveypops

• Donator
  • owned by Harvey and my honery cocker Flea
« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2009, 11:46:38 AM »
Fred 'assumes the position' on the back mat when we come in from walks so he can get dried off-is so funny he stands all stretched out-tail straight out behind him so you can rub his belly first then his tail then his paws and finally his ears :luv: :luv:

Can you send me instructions on how to teach Harvey to 'assume the position'!! :005:

Offline teapot

• Site Member
  • ~Tia~
« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2009, 12:52:10 PM »
With Tia she knows "what do you do ?" This is a sort of command for numerous things we have taught her seperately before, for instance if we say "what do you do?" when she comes in from a walk she will roll over and let you dry her paws. If she is eager to barge through a door and we say it she sits and waits for the door to open and the command to go through. If she is waiting for a treat or bone and we say it she twists and sits waiting for the treat. Don't really know how it came about but it is quite funny at times  :005: I suppose it's like reminding children of their manners. Sometimes we don't even have to say it, we just give her a look and our body language must remind her what she has got to do to get what she wants. :lol2:
Marie & Tia x

Offline emderpenguin

« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2009, 01:00:01 PM »
Not something I've taught him (we 'trained' each other.. it just happened lol)

Kye will quite often come up to me and make a certain whine which means 'Mum, I want something'
I ask him 'What?' and if he wants attention he'll rub his head against me. If he wants something else he tilts his head and whines again.

I then ask him 'show me' and he'll run off to whatever it is he wants. This could be a fav toy he's managed to get stuck (he sometimes puts them out of reach of Pepper, then pokes them further away with his nose and can't reach). More often it's 'Mum I want my tea' or (before dog flap days) 'Mum I need the loo'  :005:

Offline PennyB

« Reply #13 on: February 11, 2009, 01:03:00 PM »
Their 'stay' command - sometimes something urgent has happened and I have to move away from them but still in plenty of sight but I don't want them following me or moving around where they want to go. They amused everyone one week when I was very hungry and needed to buy a sandwich but it was one of those shops on the rail station with an open front and while not that far to the counter I still wasn't allowed to take them with me so I got them to sit-stay at the edge of the line of the shop while I stepped forward to the counter - everyone on the rail station thought it was hilarious (as you coudl see they really wanted to come with me but knew they weren't allowed to).

When I initally taught Ruby this with distractions, it was on the park one hot summer lunchtime and swallows just happended to be swooping around her head and I know then that she had the best stay ever :luv:
Friends of Hailey Park
Four Paws Animal Rescue (South Wales)

Cockers are just hooligans in cute clothing!

Offline black taz

« Reply #14 on: February 11, 2009, 01:05:32 PM »
at the minute, its "back up".  So when i am waiting to take him on a walk, he has to "back up" whilst i open the door, i also getting him to do it if he is pulling on his lead, so that he is level with my leg before i start walking again.