Author Topic: What's the best thing you've taught you're dog?  (Read 2422 times)

Offline Karma

• Site Member
Re: What's the best thing you've taught you're dog?
« Reply #15 on: February 11, 2009, 01:05:45 PM »
It's still a work in progress, but the waiting at the bottom of the stairs until told she can go up is a definate bonus!  We still have a baby gate up, so she doesn't get free access, but I can now ask her to wait as I go up, then tell her ok once I'm at the top, so we have no risk of tripping over each other when going up and down the stairs.

I think the most useful thing, though, has to be a reliable give - especially as she likes to steal hats!! It was far less embarrassing when she stole someone's hat in the woods, as I was able to get it straight off her and return it, before hiding in shame!!!  :005:
Remembering Honey. Aug 2007-July 2020

Offline lisalh

• Donator
  • Fred
« Reply #16 on: February 11, 2009, 01:07:16 PM »
Fred 'assumes the position' on the back mat when we come in from walks so he can get dried off-is so funny he stands all stretched out-tail straight out behind him so you can rub his belly first then his tail then his paws and finally his ears :luv: :luv:

Can you send me instructions on how to teach Harvey to 'assume the position'!! :005:

All started with me sat on the mat and him stretched over my legs so I could dry him and without any training he now stands like that  when he comes in- he wont 'assume the position' anywhere else in or out of the house it has to be on his mat.

If sitting with him doesnt work staple his paws to the floor and then attack him with the hairdryer- he will soon prefer the alternative ;) ;)
The most affectionate creature in the world is a wet dog.  ~Ambrose Bierce

Offline Top Barks

• Site Member
    • http://www.topbarks.co.uk
« Reply #17 on: February 11, 2009, 01:08:00 PM »
Get me a beer from the fridge! :lol2:

Mark Sanderson BSc Hons (canine behaviour), FdSc CBT, CAP 1, CAP 2
Member of The Association Of Pet Dog Trainers (00977)

Check out my website http://www.topbarks.co.uk/  www.yorkdogtrainer.co.uk

Offline cdpops

• Site Member
« Reply #18 on: February 11, 2009, 01:11:26 PM »
"On your side" I can now groom Charlies back legs a nd paws without any grumbling and showing of teeth, he quite happily lets me do this if he's on his side. If only I had tried this 18months ago  ::)

Offline teapot

• Site Member
  • ~Tia~
« Reply #19 on: February 11, 2009, 01:55:57 PM »
Just remembered I have also taught Tia to bring my slippers to me when I need them (instead of her running off with them and having to swap or find the missing one)  ;)
Marie & Tia x

Offline Nicola

• FTCh Caoimhe
« Reply #20 on: February 11, 2009, 01:59:35 PM »
Wait, give and the stop whistle are probably the most useful commands they know but they have some funny ones too, if you say 'shhhh!' to Tilly she'll bark at you :lol2: They'll both fetch anything I point out to them which is handy when I can't reach the remote. Rodaidh's party piece though is to leap up into your arms, he's got it down to a T and even turns his body to the side at the last second so you can catch him properly. He'll do it to a signal (holding arms outstretched) but he also tends to do it when he's really excited as well so if OH or I go out we get hit at chest height by an overexcited bundle of gold fur as soon as we open the front door again, or if he hasn't seen Jo for a few days he hits her like an exocet missile :lol2:  once you've caught him he'll quite happily hang from your arm all day with his back legs dangling down, it is quite funny looking :005:
Nicola, Tilly, Rodaidh and Caoimhe x

http://www.flickr.com/photos/30049807@N08/

Offline TeresaUK

« Reply #21 on: February 11, 2009, 10:17:15 PM »
Ellie, my 18 month old cocker spaniel can tell the difference between right and left now. She will give you her right paw on response to "right" and left on response to "left". I am in the process of teaching her to "back-heel" and see that some of you have already achieved this. Well done!

Offline SkyeSue

• Inactive
« Reply #22 on: February 11, 2009, 10:33:53 PM »
The most useful one has been "wait" (so good for calming her down whilst getting lead on, getting out the door, making her stay in car till Im ready to get her out, etc.) We have also just cracked loose lead walking, so Im dead chuffed about that  ;) The cutest one is first thing in the morning....I make a cup of coffee and go back to bed with the lap top and I tell her to get back under the duvet, and there she stays till I've caught up with COL, the on-line news and weather, etc. and she stays there till she hears me turning the laptop off! Then all hell breaks loose  :luv:

Sue and Chloe, happy girls on the Isle of Skye

Offline Crazy Cocker Gang

• Donator
  • Jack, Flynn, Brie and baby seth xx
« Reply #23 on: February 16, 2009, 06:06:28 PM »
The thing I find the most handy is that I taught them each others names.
I use the same whistle with them both so its great when were out together being able to just call one back or getting one to sit.
We have been practising alot and today i blew the stop whistle with Jack and Brie 10ft away they both sat then I only whistled Brie back to me and Jack stayed in his sit  :luv:
Its handy if Bries further out than Jack and i can bring her in without Jack coming too and if I only want one to jump out of the car. We are practising having them sat and telling one to get on and hunt while the other stays sat and having them sat then sending one for a retrieve so it helps with steadyness and teaching them not everything is theirs.

Offline Sarah.H

• Site Member
  • charlie
« Reply #24 on: February 16, 2009, 06:42:34 PM »
With Millie its to sit and look up when I'm ready to put her lead on, that way the ring is easy to get to and clip the lead on. With Charlie its to wave! When I leave my parents house he sits at the door with them and waves goodbye   :'(:luv: :luv:.

Millie

Offline minimoo

• Donator
« Reply #25 on: February 16, 2009, 09:56:07 PM »
bruno will go and "fetch" anything i point to, and bring it to me which is handy if i feel lazy, he will also take a packet of crisps or an ice cream in its wrapper from the kitchen upstairs to my OH if i say "take it to steve" if hes upstairs watching sport , he will also go and get his brush out of the bag to be brushed if i ask him to, ive taught ella to go and fetch teddy or squeaky and shes getting really good at returning things, kizz is either really stupid or really clever as she doesnt "do" work so maybe shes just got me trained well :005:
Julie owned by Ella, and Bailey the mud monster and little Milo.   R.I.P Kizzy 19.04.97 - 16.06.11, the start of my love for the wiggly ones and Bruno my lovely brave boy

Offline Rats and Dogs

• Donator
  • My gorgeous Gari. 25/11/97 - 17/06/09
« Reply #26 on: February 16, 2009, 10:03:33 PM »
When I go into feed the rats in the morning, I say to Gari "You're banned" and he waits outside the door until they've finished eating, then I say "Ok, come in", he then trots in and walks around the room and back out again! :005:

He is so good considering there is food on the go! :luv:
Fiona, Dougie & Tia x
Gari - My Angel at The Bridge

Offline LinzHenz

• Puffy Fluppy Dog
« Reply #27 on: February 16, 2009, 10:15:58 PM »
henry has to eat his food in his crate. we have a trick that we do for visitors, i get a treat out and say 'where would you eat this?' and he goes and waits in his bed  :005:
Linz & Henry Dog

Offline elaine.e

• Sweet William
« Reply #28 on: February 16, 2009, 10:55:27 PM »
Feet!  Both dogs lift one foot at a time to be wiped after being outside.  Funny thing is if I clean Mundy first Jenni lifts her feet in turn even though I am nowhere near her!   :-*

I've taught William this and my other 2 Cockers before him. I always start by drying his right front paw then the left front, tell him "turn round" which he always does in the same direction so that I can dry the left side of his undercarriage and left back paw. He the turns again so I can do the right side and right back paw. He lifts each paw in turn for me.

I've been trying to teach my friend's Retriever recently, but she just sort of welds her paws to the floor, locks her legs and gives me a filthy look :lol2:

Offline Mrs K

• Molly Ma Loon
« Reply #29 on: February 16, 2009, 10:58:03 PM »
Difficult one but torn between her giving her a good shake to get rid of water and muck after her walk when I say 'Shake Molly Shake' or her bringing you the TV remote control  :lol: ph34r
The reason dogs have so many friends is because they wag their tails instead of their tongues.