Author Topic: Advice please  (Read 6428 times)

Offline Shazza

• Site Member
Advice please
« on: August 12, 2004, 09:45:03 AM »
We have just adopted a 6 year old cocker spaniel last night.  He is very stressed by it.  He came from a home, he's been well looked after but I think they just didn't want him anymore.  During the night he was pacing around, whimpering a little and was sick a few times (although he is not off his food) and panting.  I am not sure what to do for the best.  We are giving him cuddles and talking to him.  He's already affectionate towards me but I hate to see him like this.  Thanks                    

Offline ellehcim

• Site Member
Advice please
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2004, 10:05:50 AM »
dear shazza

just hang in there, i am sure it is a very scary time for the dog,

i am afraid i do not have any wise words except carry on with the reassurance and lots of love.

hope all goes well

Michelle and Ben                    
1st time cocker owner

Offline Cob-Web

• Inactive
  • To err is human, to forgive, canine
    • Walking on Wight Blog
Advice please
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2004, 11:07:34 AM »
Hi Shazza

Congratulations on your new arrival!

We adopted a 5 yr old GSD cross from a rescue centre many years ago, and I well remember her confusion and distress in the first few days.

Hang in there, keep things in the household routine as much as possible, but, from my experience I would advise not to over-indulge him in love and affection; we found after a few weeks that we had a rescue dog who thought she was Top Dog in our house - entirely our fault for being too soft and not ensuring that she knew her place.

Enjoy your new man - whats his name? I'd love to see a picture in the gallery....

Oh, and welcome to COL!                    
Enrich your life with an Oldie!
Oldies Club

Offline PennyB

Advice please
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2004, 11:42:25 AM »
Welcome to COL Shazza and Jarvis (glad you made it over here).

Penny, Wilf and Ruby                    
Friends of Hailey Park
Four Paws Animal Rescue (South Wales)

Cockers are just hooligans in cute clothing!

scoobie

Advice please
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2004, 04:37:49 PM »
Hallo and welcome to you both :lol: have you heard of rescue remedy? that's great for calming dogs that are a little unsettled and try not to worry things will settle it's traumatic for Jarvis and scary even though your lovely and kind to him it will take time
wishing you all the best
 Edith                    

Offline shonajoy

• Site Member
Advice please
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2004, 08:22:42 PM »
Awww, bless him. The vets I work at sell a DAP diffuser, Dog Appeasing Pheromone, which helps calm them down. A few people I know have recommended them, but they are about £20 so maybe worth a shot in a few days if he's still not settled.

Congrats

Shona x                    
Shona, Indie(5) and Hamish (4)

Offline Rusty

• Site Member
Advice please
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2004, 09:26:03 PM »
Hi Shazza

Welcome to COL

I think just plenty of re-assurance and love and he will settle down.
Good luck :D  :D

Elle & rusty xx                    

Offline Sheila

• Site Member
Advice please
« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2004, 10:22:06 PM »
Welcome to COL.

I'm sure things will settle down, the first couple of nights will be very difficult for him. Did he have any of his toys or a blanket from his old home to help him settle?
Where was he sleeping? Was he downstairs or in your bedroom? The weather has been very humid and stormy and could have contributed to his unease.

Just continue to give him lots of reassurance and he will soon see that he doesnt need to feel worried.
Keep doing what you are doing :D                    

Offline Luvlylady

• Site Member
Advice please
« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2004, 11:11:48 PM »
Hi its great you have decided to give this boy a chance :)
I hope he calms down soon it must be hard to know what to do .
has he got his own quite spot and a blanket? have you taken him for a walk yet he could do with somthing  to put his mind off his previous owners . If you could find something he loves then it may help him a bit more . playing tug or catching balls running loopy around the garden?
let us know how hes getting on in his new home :)                    

Offline Shazza

• Site Member
Advice please
« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2004, 08:59:44 AM »
Thanks for all your advice and words of welcome.

Bit of bad news.  Jarvis continued to whimper and whine all day and he didn't stop being sick.  Took him out for a walk last night hoping that might calm him down.  He seemed to be doing ok, then stopped and would not move.  He started really howling and just wouldn't budge.  Eventually we managed to get him back to the car and took him to the vets.  He spent last night at the vet on a drip.  He has a very high temperature and seems to have pain around his stomach.  I've got to ring back at 11.00 to find out what is wrong. :cry:                    

Offline TOPAZ BILLY

• Site Member
  • De Girls!
Advice please
« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2004, 09:03:25 AM »
Shaz,

You poor thing what a nightmare for you and Jarvis.  I hope Jarvis is feeling better today, let us know what the vet says.

Thinking of you and poor Jarvis.

Michelle                    

scoobie

Advice please
« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2004, 09:57:03 AM »
Aaah..Shaz what a shame for you both I sincerely hope Jarvis gets better very soon keep us posted
Edith                    

Offline PennyB

Advice please
« Reply #12 on: August 13, 2004, 10:01:32 AM »
Sorry to here about Jarvis. No wonder he was feeling unsettled poor thing. Hope the vet can give you good news.                    
Friends of Hailey Park
Four Paws Animal Rescue (South Wales)

Cockers are just hooligans in cute clothing!

Offline Shazza

• Site Member
Advice please
« Reply #13 on: August 13, 2004, 11:28:29 AM »
Jarvis had a resonable night, no more sickness.  X ray revealed lots of gas in his colon, no obstruction.  Have got to ring back at 4.00 for blood test results.  They have mentioned pancreatitis.  Just have to wait and see.                    

Offline daftcockers

• Site Member
    • http://www.chaysonniecockers.co.uk
Advice please
« Reply #14 on: August 13, 2004, 12:45:01 PM »
Bless Hope Jarvis is ok, my gang send slobbery lickslet us know how he gets on, poor babe must have been in such pain :cry:                    
WWW.CHAYSONNIECOCKERS.CO.UK

Thanks susan and the gang