Author Topic: basic training  (Read 1276 times)

Offline kookie

• Site Member
basic training
« on: August 17, 2004, 06:22:15 AM »
Does anyone know of any dog training groups in my area?
Alfie is 15 monts old, but when we removed him from his home, he hadn't been taught even the most basic of things, and his recall is dubious. I'm worried sick that he'll not come back to us. I never let him off lead unles I am with anyone, so thay can watch my other 2 incase I have to take off after him.

I think it might be a good idea to do some training away from Cleo and Livvy. Cleo is fine, she'll just watch, but Livvy has to get involved with everything.

We're going to Scarborough at the bank holiday weekend, and I want hime to have fun in the water, but am worried that if we let him off, he'll be enjoying himself so much he'll go conveniently deaf. :(                    
Love from Karen and Livvy

Offline PennyB

basic training
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2004, 12:45:55 PM »
Alfie is still going through his teens where any previous training he may have had he now chooses to forget (join the club!)

Yes I'd train him on his own as you may need to increase you bond with him.

When you let him off his lead to you do recall exercises with him (rather than just recalling him when he needs to go back on his lead). I recall mine every few yards or so if I feel their concentration is lapsing (Wilf is going through his Kevin stage at the moment!) to give them a treat or play a ball game. Chasing after your dog won't work either other than making them want to run further away from you—I shout mine and jump up and down very wildly then run in the opposite direction still shouting if he's heading towards danger!

He needs to be focused on you and the 1st thing is is to find this focus, i.e. mine respond to a variety of things—gundog whistle, balls, treats. As you're in the house you can train him to a whistle or to the sound of your voice with 'what's this' to grab his attention and then give him a treat (mine are always curious so everytime I shout 'what's this' if they are close by they run back as they don't want to miss out).

My trainer uses a longline to train dogs who do a runner which you can use in a variety of ways—some just use it as a drag line so you can jump on the rope (mine's 10m long and attaches to a harness with a trigger hook) and stop them or the weight of the rope can sometimes slow them down.

Some linky things:

http://cockersonline.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=5579

http://cockersonline.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=5073

http://www.cockersonline.co.uk/forum/viewt...d19fb66cea275cf

Have you thought of taking him to training classes where they will also show you other ways of recall training                    
Friends of Hailey Park
Four Paws Animal Rescue (South Wales)

Cockers are just hooligans in cute clothing!

Offline PennyB

basic training
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2004, 01:13:24 PM »
Also try this link for recall (as different things work for different dogs and different people):

http://www.gurney.co.uk/pads/6RUNAWAY.htm

And for whistle training in depth:

1. Start by using the whistle to call your dog for every meal - even if he's sitting right next to you at the time. Once he's made the link between food and the whistle, start using it to call him for tasty treats in the house and garden. After two or three weeks, you should be getting a fast recall.

2. Next, try it away from home. Withold the evening meal and don't give any breakfast the next day so your dog is really hungry. Ask a friend to accompany you and hold your dog while you show him a treat and then run away from him. Go a short distance to start with, stop, turn and blow the whistle - your friend should release the dog at the same moment and he should come straight to you. Put your hand on his collar first, then praise and reward him with the treat. Repeat the exercise.

3. Take your dog out again, once more very hungry. Hold the collar yourself, show him the treats you have, and then firmly send him away from you. Whatever direction he goes in, head the opposite way, then stop as before, turn, and toot the whistle to call him to you.

4. Even though you may have a sharp recall to the whistle at home, you may be anxious about testing it in new environments. Begin in areas where there are few distractions. Try to find a totally enclosed field your dog can't escape from, such as a local dog training club's grounds, or a paddock with sheep netting. Alternatively use a long line until you have confidence in his response                    
Friends of Hailey Park

Offline kookie

• Site Member
basic training
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2004, 02:13:42 PM »
Thanx for the advice and the links.
I have a whistle and have used it occasionally to get his attention. It all seems like common sense from a doggie point of view, just never really made the obvious connection.
Both my girls are pretty ok, so I've never really been in this situation :)                    
Love from Karen and Livvy

Offline Tracey J

• Site Member
basic training
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2004, 02:22:40 PM »
Thanks for that info Penny, it's just what I've been looking for. :lol:                    
Tracey, Molly &  little brother Brodie!

Offline PennyB

basic training
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2004, 02:41:54 PM »
Thanx for the advice and the links.
I have a whistle and have used it occasionally to get his attention. It all seems like common sense from a doggie point of view, just never really made the obvious connection.

I think you have to use it lots for it to sink in. Boys can be worse at recall especially in their teens                    
Friends of Hailey Park