Author Topic: Neutering  (Read 2034 times)

Offline Rusty

• Site Member
Neutering
« on: August 17, 2004, 08:58:23 PM »
Hi everyone

Rusty is 4 months old, we have been told by the vet to get him neutered at 6 months if that what we want, as this is the best time to get it done.
My OH is all for it, as Rusty has shredded several blankets trying to get jiggy with it :x  :x  :x  Tonite was a nightmare as we had to explain to our girls why his tinkle had grown... :oops:  :oops:  :oops:

Has anyone got any comments on this subject, how long will he be sore for,is it a good idea, I'm stuck in the middle and don't know whats best for Rusty!!!
Would be grateful for any advice  :)  :)

Elle & Rusty xx                    

Offline shonajoy

• Site Member
Neutering
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2004, 09:03:44 PM »
My vet recommended not considering it till a year, and even then we may not do it. Unless he wanders after femles or becomes sexually inapproprisate I suppose.

I'm of the opinion that if it aint broke don't fix it, and to be honest I'd happily avoid it. You'll get loads of different answers

Shona :wink:                    
Shona, Indie(5) and Hamish (4)

Offline padfoot

• Site Member
Neutering
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2004, 09:15:55 PM »
Providing you will make sure he can never wander off and no accidents can happen, it's really personal choice.
Toby was neutered at 7 months old. We had no ill effects from it. The inappropriate sexual behaviour stopped pretty quickly (within a few weeks) but we didn't notice a change in his coat until the last month or so, it's now fluffier and fuller.                    

Offline PennyB

Neutering
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2004, 09:20:42 PM »
My vet and dog trainer suggested between 9 and 12 months but Wilf was done at 8 months as he had to go under for something else (so the 2 were done together). There have been no ill effects because of this. I must admit I'm glad I got it done as I got fed up of all the unneutered dogs trying to 'square up' to him and cause a fight and now they just leave him alone. He's the same old Wilf through and through                    
Friends of Hailey Park
Four Paws Animal Rescue (South Wales)

Cockers are just hooligans in cute clothing!

Offline *Jay*

• Donator
Neutering
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2004, 09:20:49 PM »
Don't do it :wink:  I've had problems with Vegas ever since he was neutered at 6 months - lets just say male dogs show too much interest in him :shock:  Until recently he put up with it, but now he has just got fed up and has now become a lot less tolerant of other dogs. After working so hard to bring up a well adjusted dog, its not nice to watch it fall apart at the seams just because vets are pro early neutering.(He is now having to go on tablets meant to mask the scent of a bitch in season to see if that helps matters) The vets I work at are just the same(and they know my feelings now on their practice policy!!!) and I think they should be telling clients the cons of neutering also so people can make educated decisions.  The decision to neuter Rusty is yours and yours alone so don't let them force you into a decision that can't be reversed unless you are sure that is what you want to do.

Regards the humping thing. Have you tried to distarct him? Don't shout at him to stop or anything as that is just giving him attention for it. Just try and distarct him with a toy and once hes playing with that, give him lots of praise. Some dogs will continue to hump things anyway once they have been neutered, albeit probably not quite as severely. I know my two did.

Anyway, rant over - the above is just my opinion only :wink:  Have a look at our FAQ on neutering and that might help you decide whats best for you

http://www.cockersonline.co.uk/forum/viewt...opic.php?t=3239                    
Dallas ( 10) & Disney ( 9 )

Playing at the Bridge: Brook (13/06/04), Jackson (23/12/05) & Vegas (14/07/10)

Offline PennyB

Neutering
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2004, 09:22:49 PM »
Most of my friends male dogs have also been done at 6 months onwards (you'll find all rescues require it to be done at 6 months) and have had no ill effects or untoward advances from other dogs.                    
Friends of Hailey Park
Four Paws Animal Rescue (South Wales)

Cockers are just hooligans in cute clothing!

Offline Shirley

• Site Member
Neutering
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2004, 09:23:09 PM »
I have no experience of neutering as I have no plans to neuter either of my boys - without a good reason  :wink: .  Neither of them are ever out of my garden without me so no chance to get up to mischief  :)

Morgan did sometimes 'try it on'  :lol:  with the towel when we tried to dry him after he'd had a bath or been out in the rain but we just distracted him with a treat or a toy and he eventually stopped it completely.  Cooper went through a phase of humping Morgan  :shock:  but we just told him off - a strong 'No!' when he did it and now he doesn't bother  :D .

I do think that 6 months is very young -  I know my vet advises waiting until the dog is an adult as it can get stuck in state of eternal puppyhood (for want of a better way to describe it  :wink:  ) without the hormones which help it to reach maturity.  My aunt had her retriever x pointer neutered at about 6 months to 'calm him down'..............needless to say that 2 years later Rocky is still as mad as a hatter  :wink:

Hope you find a solution to your problem - I wouldn't make any rushed decisions if I were you - at 4 months, there's plenty of time for Rusty to grow out of this behaviour  :P                    
Shirley, Morgan and Cooper
Morgan's Page                                  Videos of my boys

Offline Gilly

• Inactive
    • Glowstar Cocker Spaniels
Neutering
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2004, 09:44:16 PM »
I don't know anything about neutering either  :wink:  as I lived with an entire dog for 15 years without ANY problems whatsoever  :wink:  :D
Most dogs "hump", my bitch does it occassionally and I've got 2 kids...I just tell them she does it because she'd excited  :lol: they don't need any other explanation as far as I'm concerned. I always think it comes back to the same old saying " if it ain't broke, don't fix it"  :wink:
I think you will probably find that the humping will lessen as he gets older  :)                    

Offline suki1964

• Site Member
  • Look mum - no legs :)
Neutering
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2004, 11:13:19 PM »
Gunnar was an entire boy and we had no problems with him untill he was seven. Thats when he managed to mount an unleashed bitch in season and well lets just say he got a taste for it . Trouble was we live right opposite the park and when any bitch came into season he would be uncontrollable, sitting on the doorstep howling to get out, and if he got a sniff - he was away, nothing would stop him, even managed to snap two collers :( But then at that age there was no way I was going to get him done so it was something we had to learn to watch for and manage the best we could. As to humping, that only happened during those times, rest of the time he was a gent :)

Alfie is also going to be an entire boy. I also think if its not broke dont fix it. He humps certain toys but a quick no and giving him something to distract him stops it. And you know I know he cant understand a word I say, but I swear to g*d that if I say "put that away" he looks mighty sheepish and quickly deflates :)

Caroline and Alfie                    
Caroline and Alfie

Offline Rusty

• Site Member
Neutering
« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2004, 11:16:34 PM »
Hi everyone thanxs for your replies :)  :)

Our thoughts about Rusty being neutered were not because of behaviour, or him maybe getting into trouble with a female, it was solely so that he is not frustrated and on the hunt all the time. Also when he is with his blanket getting jiggy and you try to take it away he does get quite aggressive, but as you say we have plenty time to think about it and I also think that 6 months is a bit young,maybe we would be better to wait till he was 9 months.  Like everything else in this world it maybe works better for some dogs than others :?  :?

Elle & Rusty xx                    

Offline daftcockers

• Site Member
    • http://www.chaysonniecockers.co.uk
Neutering
« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2004, 08:19:12 AM »
Hi, only my own experience, I had 2 whole dog and a neutered one, the neutered one was the one most interested in "humping" anything :oops:                    
WWW.CHAYSONNIECOCKERS.CO.UK

Thanks susan and the gang

Offline padfoot

• Site Member
Neutering
« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2004, 06:42:15 PM »
I'm surprised people have had problems with their dogs due to early neutering. Many rescues castrate all dogs aged 6 mths and over, and in the USA dogs are often neutered even younger than that.
My vet's advice was to get dogs neutered at 6 mths and bitches at 12 mths. My dad has his dog neutered ay 6 mths (he's 1 now) and both my mums dog and bitch were neutered at 6 mths too (both now also 1) and none have had any problems at all  :unsure:

I do think that if people are going to ensure their dog does not EVER have the chance to be involved in an accident, it's fine to leave then longer if you choose to.
The main problem is ignorant people who leave their dogs entire and allow them to wander.
And of course, ignorant people who let bitches in season off the lead...at the same time as entire males. In that situation, while it might be considered to be the fault of the owner of the bitch, it would still be a disaster.
This is why I have every intention of getting Ollie neutered at 6 months.

Offline *Jay*

• Donator
Neutering
« Reply #12 on: August 18, 2004, 06:51:10 PM »
Maybe I'm just one of the few unlucky ones but the change in my dog is enough to put me off. All I can say is I'm glad it happened to Vegas and not Dallas cos I believe he would have had a nervous breakdown by now :(  And its for that reason and that reason only that his bits are staying put.
Dallas ( 10) & Disney ( 9 )

Playing at the Bridge: Brook (13/06/04), Jackson (23/12/05) & Vegas (14/07/10)

Offline Jaljen

• Site Member
Neutering
« Reply #13 on: August 18, 2004, 09:13:01 PM »
My boy had it done a month ago.

He was 9 months old.

He's fine. I didn't want him running off after bitches in season/being led astray. His recall is excellent and I didn't want that to change.

My cats are all neutered too.

I think it makes males less independent and possibly more affectionate/loyal.  B)  

Offline bluegirl

• Site Member
    • www.millionhairsdoggrooming.co.uk
Neutering
« Reply #14 on: August 19, 2004, 02:58:15 PM »
I personally prefer not to neuter. We have had an entire male and female and apart from when Cindy was in season, it was her that was the rudest of the two. You knew that if she came to you and tried to lick your ear then she was feeling amorous and would try to mount your arm.

I prefer not to mess with nature and for that reason I wouldn't have any non essential (as far as I'm concerned) surgery. I worry too much!

From Karen :D  
Karen, Penny, Logan, Phoebe and Bronte.

"Life is a series of dogs".    George Carlin

I was going to take over the world but got distracted by something sparkly.