Author Topic: When did your dog hit the teenage years?  (Read 974 times)

Offline SkyeSue

• Inactive
When did your dog hit the teenage years?
« on: March 12, 2009, 08:08:35 PM »
From what I've read this can happen anytime after 7 months....so far, touch wood, Chloe has not shown any signs of rebelliousness (other than her normal norty ways). Come on guys, I really need to hear that a) it might not happen; b) its not as bad as it sounds c) all the folk that say its horrendous have just been unfortunate  :shades: :005:  :005: :005:
I know there's been threads about this before...sorry mods...but I'm sure all you experienced colers won't mind sharing their experiences again  :luv:

Sue and Chloe, happy girls on the Isle of Skye

Offline Karma

• Site Member
Re: When did your dog hit the teenage years?
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2009, 08:15:49 PM »

Honey didn't really have a traditional teenage stage... though I think her lack of confidence around other dogs was made worse by her adolescence...
Her recall remained solid, we continued training... she did get extra chewy for a while, but Kevin certainly didn't visit!!!  :005:
Remembering Honey. Aug 2007-July 2020

Offline Helen

• helen noakes jewellery
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2009, 08:16:51 PM »
from about 7 months to 1 year - Jarv wasn't bad though, he was just 'challenging' - it took me taking him to one disastrous outdoor obedience session (he was completely deaf to everything and followed the trainers beautiful blue alsation around looking completely lovestruck  >:D ) to realise that we had to go back to basics.

So we did, recall everyday and reinforced all the other stuff we'd taught him and one day when he was just over a year old I realised he actually was paying a lot more attention and was loving learning again and that was it....

he never was a chewer - in fact we rejoiced when we found some puppy teeth marks in a cabinet as it's the only evidence we have that we had a puppy in the house  :luv:
helen & jarvis x

Offline Nicola

• FTCh Caoimhe
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2009, 08:25:53 PM »
Alfie was a nightmare from about 8-18 months, if dogs could give you the finger he'd have done that every time I asked him to do something :005:  He was really hard work (him taking himself off hunting and chasing birds were the main issues) but he came good in the end... for the most part :lol2::luv:

Rodaidh hasn't had a 'teenage' phase, his training was full steam ahead from 6 months on and he got distinctions in two working tests on the same day at 11 months old. He's a character but he's incredibly biddable and eager to please. His dislike of other male dogs in 'his' territory came with maturity rather than adolescence.

I didn't get Tills until she was 2 so with her I don't know, she's such a well behaved girl I can't imagine her ever being any different. That's not to say she does everything I tell her to though, she knows her own mind and is a master of the art of ignoring you if you ask her to do something she doesn't want to as Jo will agree :005:
Nicola, Tilly, Rodaidh and Caoimhe x

http://www.flickr.com/photos/30049807@N08/

Offline Joelf

• Site Member
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2009, 09:33:52 PM »
Domino didn't really have a bad adolescence & he's always been very sweet natured, but he can still be a wilful little s*d now if the mood takes him (he'll be 5 in July!!) :shades:

Spike was the sweetest puppy imaginable & then at about 7 months or so he mutated into this horrible disobedient 'kevin'  >:(............I could cheerfully have massacred him!!! :005:

Fortunately he mutated back to the sweet, loving dog he is now (although he still has moments of disobedience  ::))
Jo, Domino (cocker) & Spike (black lab.)

Offline Oliver21508

« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2009, 09:50:22 PM »
Ollie's started his, but he's not too bad. He's just a bit cheeky like a little toddler and he has little tanturms, but he's still (touch wood) very well behaved. I don't think he likes his bed rest too much but he's going to start going out tomorrow so he can get rid of all his energy. PHEW!!!

Offline louis mum

• Donator
  • Little Lenny
    • Darvieux Cocker Spaniels
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2009, 09:56:25 PM »
Alfie is still in it  ::) :005: He was about 6 month to 7 months, but is still challenging at times when I ask nicely for him to do something  ::) Admittedly he is now maturing and is a beautiful gentle loving boy 99% of the time  :luv:

Offline EmmaA

• Site Member
  • Eric
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2009, 10:02:03 PM »
Alfie is still in it  ::) :005: He was about 6 month to 7 months, but is still challenging at times when I ask nicely for him to do something  ::) Admittedly he is now maturing and is a beautiful gentle loving boy 99% of the time  :luv:

Eric was the same as Alfie really. He seemed to hit his teenage phase real bad at about 7 months but now (16 months) he is adorable most of the time

Offline JennyBee

• Princess Brodie
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2009, 10:05:09 PM »
I think Brodie was 7 months -I can't say she's been too bad actually, though she can be very cheeky at times >:D

At eleven months she’s much better than she used to be, though there is the occasional relapse ::)

x In memory of Barney x

Offline bibathediva

• Site Member
  • SMILE
« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2009, 10:14:53 PM »

Biba didnt really have a teenage years...she has always been and still is a stubbon mare  and has always had an old head on young shoulders ::) so we never really had too bad a time with her...she is now my steady eddie  ;)
Lola is a very biddable dog and always has been...she had perfect recall until she hit 10/11 months then she went deaf for about 4 months...she is now just about getting back on track with it...but compared to Biba at the same age she is still very puppyish  ;)

Offline johndoran

• Site Member
« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2009, 10:26:31 PM »
I dont think Bonnie Boo had a real bad patch she just sort of grew up over the months and years.She is now 2 1/2 still has her silly moments but all in all she is  quite a good girl.
Bonnie Boo -A heartbeat at my feet

Offline Elisa

• Site Member
  • Double Trouble
« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2009, 10:41:38 PM »
It's quite interesting reading the replies so far  :-\  I've always wondered if boys are worse during adolescence than girls.  My own two boys were horrors,  Bailey lost his recall, and we have never been able to find it again,  whereas Harvey just jumps around like his 6 months old  ::)
Elisa, Bailey & Harvey  xxx

Offline SkyeSue

• Inactive
« Reply #12 on: March 12, 2009, 11:42:31 PM »
he never was a chewer - in fact we rejoiced when we found some puppy teeth marks in a cabinet as it's the only evidence we have that we had a puppy in the house  :luv:

Awww bless  :o
It's the same with Chloe though, the only damage she has ever done is to a couple of pairs of shoes (they're still perfectly functional though) and total destruction of my mobile phone...but that was fine cos I got a better one off the insurance  :005:

Sue and Chloe, happy girls on the Isle of Skye

Offline little_jack

« Reply #13 on: March 13, 2009, 09:42:10 AM »
Jack started at about 7/8 months and is currently still going strong with it  >:D . Its not 100% of the time but boy do you know it when hes off on one. A million times worse than anything he did as a tiny pup, hes a complete rebel. Just keep repeating: it cant last forever, it cant last forever...