Author Topic: Shown up by a very greedy cocker  (Read 1211 times)

Offline merry

• Site Member
Shown up by a very greedy cocker
« on: March 05, 2009, 10:07:26 PM »
I was walking Merry and his mate Rory (Westie) today and a lady pushing her grandchild in a buggy told me to watch out for some muddy parts that her dog (cocker) had just walked in.  When I looked round, Merry was (very tenderly) eating the little boys sandwich out of his hands.  I was mortified.  I apologised to the lady (over and over again) and she very kindly said it was okay and the little boy wasn't really eating it anyway.

I do take it very seriously and I realise that I was very lucky that the lady was so good about it.  But I will be a lot more vigilant in future ::)  - particularly when accompanied by a very well-behaved westie

Offline Beth

• Site Member
Re: Shown up by a very greedy cocker
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2009, 10:10:09 PM »
Oh the perils of kids in buggies ::) the number of times i've almost been dragged across the road after a kid waving an icecream or something around ::) honestly, these parents should learn to keep their children under control. :shades: :lol2: :005:

(At least Merry was gentle, kid would've lost fingers if it'd been my cocker-dile. >:( ph34r)
Owned by Jarvis (Cocker), and Lucy (Cavalier).

Offline BettyBoo

• Donator
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2009, 10:16:21 PM »
 :005: :005: I actually think it's quite funny but my sensible head knows it's not really. You say she had a cocker so she must know what they're like ;)
Barbara, Betty & Millie x

Offline Pudding

• Donator
  • Bob My Love My Life
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2009, 11:02:42 AM »
Are all cockers food orientated, my Bob is a bit of a sod when it comes to food.
Bob comes to work with me, i work in an office he has his own bed ,and the run of a very big office which i share with 3 other work mates.
the office is out in the middle of nowhere with field all around, we have 2 ferail cats that come to us for food, and a fox that vistits us from time to time.The other day it was lunch time and i was called out into our yard as the Fox had a bad foot,
i dropped every thing to go a see, leaving my lunch on the desk half eaten pie and a jam doughnut, when i came back into the office to finish my lunch there was no sign of it
you can guess what happend to it he had eaten the lot.
this is not the first time he has taken food if you are not looking he will take a chance
dose anyone else have bad doggies when it comes to food  >:D

Offline vickyl

« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2009, 10:10:03 AM »
 :D :D

im so glad its not just my jack then. we have had him for 3 weeks now and he has the most terrible food manners. i have never had a pup like it before.  :005:

if i dont stop him he dives into the other dogs dinner before i even have a chance to put his on the floor and if we are eating in front of the telly he will try to dive onto our plates. he is beginning to realise that he isnt allowed to take food from us, but i think its going to be a long process  :D

Offline stuffster

• Luna
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2009, 10:17:27 AM »
Oh the perils of kids in buggies ::) the number of times i've almost been dragged across the road after a kid waving an icecream or something around ::) honestly, these parents should learn to keep their children under control. :shades: :lol2: :005:

(At least Merry was gentle, kid would've lost fingers if it'd been my cocker-dile. >:( ph34r)

Yep. Purdey would have bitten the sandwich and the hand holding it!! At Puppy Class on wednesday she was begging the woman next to me for some livercake so she kindly offered her a bit, and Purdey grabbed it and nipped her fingers too - I was mortified!! Her recipe for livercake  was obviously better than mine!

PURDEY AND LUNA <3

Offline Surfer Rosa

« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2009, 10:26:11 AM »
If it had been me I would have diverted everyone's attention and eaten the sandwich myself (very tenderly of course).  :lol2: I can't resist a nice sandwich!
Eddie, Jake, Setomooncalf and Yoshi
AKA: Abraham Stinkin', Russell Bustle, Jimmy 'The Chin' Smellynellio and Googly Puff.

Offline Beth

• Site Member
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2009, 11:48:15 AM »

Yep. Purdey would have bitten the sandwich and the hand holding it!! At Puppy Class on wednesday she was begging the woman next to me for some livercake so she kindly offered her a bit, and Purdey grabbed it and nipped her fingers too - I was mortified!! Her recipe for livercake  was obviously better than mine!

Jarvis made some bloke bleed once ph34r he's affectionately known as the sausage man 'cos he gives all the local dogs bits of sausage when he sees them on walks. He tried to give Jarvis a bit with another dog next to him and Jarvis took a chunk out of his finger. ph34r Man walked over dripping blood and i'd missed it so i asked what'd happened and he pointed to Jarvis and said "THAT dog bit me" ph34r ph34r ph34r Oh the shame! :embarassed: :005:
Owned by Jarvis (Cocker), and Lucy (Cavalier).

Offline MaisieMay

« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2009, 06:14:51 PM »
My Maisie is sooooooooooo greedy, it is embarrassing.  My friends were round a few weeks ago and we were eating a nice takeaway and Maisie just jumped up and grabbed what she could.  I was absolutely horrified.  We have trained her to wait for her food until we say she can eat anything but her manners go out the window at other times  >:( 

My mams cocker is not greedy but terrible recall so I guess can't have it all ways!

Offline Harveypops

• Donator
  • owned by Harvey and my honery cocker Flea
« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2009, 11:16:53 AM »
I think Harvey adores children for this very reason. I've got him eating the other end of a jaffa cake whilst a toddle was eating it.  ph34r Luckily the mother didn't see it.

Jarvis made some bloke bleed once ph34r he's affectionately known as the sausage man 'cos he gives all the local dogs bits of sausage when he sees them on walks. He tried to give Jarvis a bit with another dog next to him and Jarvis took a chunk out of his finger. ph34r Man walked over dripping blood and i'd missed it so i asked what'd happened and he pointed to Jarvis and said "THAT dog bit me" ph34r ph34r ph34r Oh the shame! :embarassed: :005:

:005: :005: :005: :005:

Offline PennyB

« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2009, 02:33:57 PM »
I did a meet and greet in Cheltenham yesterday with Ruby and an ice cream van parked up right acorss the entrance to PAH there - Ruby got chopsier the longer the day got and I was having to stop her eating little kids ice cream's who'd come over to say hello.

The day before we'd gone for a walk and come back on the train which was very busy as it was full of commuters - Wilf and Ruby are very good at working crowds ;) as one does the wiggly 'aren't I cute' dance while the other dives in their bag to steal something.

Thankfully I've been lucky (in that no one has been too upset by them) but I can imagine not everyone sees the funny side of it. Mind you on trains Ruby likes to kiss the bare legs of some unsuspecting traveller and Wilf usually headbuts the back of people's heads to say hello if I don't get a chance to stop him in time (when he was about 5 months old I was carrying him on an extremely busy commuter train and he licked the back of a businessman's neck, which was am sure a bit of a shock to him but thankfully he was fine with it but all the others around were much amused and it broke the ice a bit).
Friends of Hailey Park
Four Paws Animal Rescue (South Wales)

Cockers are just hooligans in cute clothing!

Offline Joelf

• Site Member
« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2009, 06:18:22 PM »
Domino is not particularly food orientated but the labs were terrible; we were at a horse event & Stella took herself off into someone's horse box & was helping herself to the contents of their coolbox!! :o  >:(

I'm ashamed to say that Robert just grabbed her & beat a very quick retreat!!! ph34r ph34r :embarassed:
Jo, Domino (cocker) & Spike (black lab.)

Offline Countrygirl

• Donator
    • Countrygirl
« Reply #12 on: March 13, 2009, 07:46:11 PM »
When other dog walkers give Ellie a treat you would think she was a stray, I have to reassure them that I do actually feed her.  My last cocker, Sophie, was completely different, she would sniff the treat all over and then leave it as if to say 'no thank you'.  I have never known Ellie refuse anything.