Author Topic: Monty is off his Arden Grange!  (Read 816 times)

Offline SandraD

Monty is off his Arden Grange!
« on: September 01, 2009, 03:01:06 PM »
Whilst we were on our hols in France, Monty (7 months) went to a locally recommended kennel.  He has always been fed Arden Grange puppy food (kibble), and whilst he isn't a huge eater, he has always cleaned his bowl, however, whilst in kennels he decided he no longer wanted to eat it.  As this was is first experience of being away from home I suspect he went off his food for a little while.  

The Kennel was obviously worried that he wasn't eating enough, he is still on two meals a day, so changed him over to adult Arden Grange to see if they could tempt him - he apparently happily eat this.  They sent me home with a small sample bag of AG adult - only enough for a day.  I offered him his usual AG puppy when we got home with a little bit of the adult food mixed in and he picked out the few pieces of adult kibble and left the rest, he also turned his nose up completely at dinner time last night.  This morning he was obviously hungry and was bouncing around like a loon waiting for his breakfast (AG puppy) but as soon as I put the bowl down he turned his nose up at it again and walked away.

I am now not sure what to do.  I have a sack 3/4 full of AG puppy left over and I'm not sure whether he is old enough at 7 months to be having only adult food.  I need to pop into my local animal food store to weigh him, he was 10kg before he went into the kennels and there isn't much "spare" flesh on him.  Any suggestions?

Offline Ninasmum

• Limited Member
Re: Monty is off his Arden Grange!
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2009, 03:12:41 PM »
I would def. keep him on the puppy AG for at least another 2 - 3 months.  A method i always use now to encourage mine when they get bored with their AG is to mix in a spoonful of tinned Butchers Tripe (this never fails with mine! ;)) or i often buy chicken breasts to mix in or sliced beef.  Also tinned Tuna works too.  :D  Mine are usually fed twice a day at adult age.  :D

Even if you try the above until your AG sack is empty, at least it won't be wasted and then possibly try him on a different brand.  :-\

Nina, Jo Jo, Georgia & Alfie

Offline elaine.e

• Sweet William
Re: Monty is off his Arden Grange!
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2009, 05:06:56 PM »
Perhaps he's a bit unsettled from having been in kennels and will get back into his normal eating routine in a day or so.

Agree with ninasmum that it's best to keep him on the puppy food as he's only 7 months. William was an incredibly fussy eater as a puppy but very small quantities of cooked chicken or grated cheese or tinned tuna generally helped, as did adding a little bit of warm water to the kibble to make it a bit smellier.