Author Topic: Walks..'happy When Homeward Bound'  (Read 1967 times)

Offline Mary

• Global Moderator
Walks..'happy When Homeward Bound'
« on: August 25, 2004, 10:13:34 PM »
I'm sure if I never took Lottie for a walk again it wouldn't really bother her.  She gets excited at the prospect of going out but when she realises she's not going in the car (which she loves) she seems almost disappointed.  Nevertheless,  twice a day we go to the local field and she goes off her lead.  She runs and sniffs like any other dog. ;) She interacts with other dogs, giving a wide berth to those she's unsure of but then again playing with any that are keen to play with her.  She has never liked dogs barking, this unsettles her but I jolly her on and then she's fairly OK.  Even after a really enjoyable walk though, she will pull all the way home :rolleyes:   She loves coming home.

This week though, as we're on holiday, we have taken her out and about with us ie. to the beach but she just can't seem to relax in different surroundings.  She's OK off her lead (although has a tendancy to trot ahead looking for the car) but if she's on her lead she pulls like mad, I'm sure she's hoping that the car will be just around the corner.  She was also very anxious and unsettled if one of the four of us seperated at all, even if we stayed in sight she would be crying :( She was hard work.  You could almost feel her relief when she jumped into her crate in the car, her little safe haven :huh:

Is there anything I can do to reassure her in these circumstances :unsure:

Mary & Lottie x

scoobie

« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2004, 09:55:03 AM »
Mary I have experienced something very similar with scoobie in the past not so much with the walking and pulling to get home but him worrying when one of us close to him wasn't there. ;)  I personally felt in scoobies case it was stress related I used a DAP diffuser in the home and rescue remedy which helps calm anxiety in dogs as well as people.. I built up his confidence through training him and giving him things to think about instead of worrying about his pack members
we went on holiday a few months back and he was great loved the beaches etc and all the doggie walks but we didn't take him around the towns where there was hoards of people etc as I knew he would stress over it..don't get me wrong we live in the town and he's used to traffic and sounds and people but I know his capabilties and know that   we have to introduce things small scale with him sorry that Im going on about scoobie and not Lottie but I think i am trying to say maybe it's all about building confidence..  
Edith

Offline Louie

• Limited Member
    • http://www.dreamistcockerspaniels.co.uk
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2004, 09:59:45 AM »
Hi, all my four love coming home from a walk as well and pull almost as hard on the way back  :rolleyes: But my oldest girl Tina who tells me when it is time to go out by staring at the cupboard where the leads are kept and wimpering, won,t go out with anyone else but me. If Jennifer my daughter puts her on the lead and takes her out Tina gets to the end of the drive then sits down and looks back at the house to see where i am  <_< . The others though would go on their own.

Offline Mary

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2004, 11:04:10 AM »
Yes, I agree Edith, I do think it's stress related.  She's not like it at all when we're home though.  She is also fine around here locally with noise, people etc.

We've just booked to go to Cornwall for the weekend so I think I'm going to invest in some Rescue Remedy for those times when she's likely to get more stressed ;) .  The problem we have when we're away is that it's difficult to keep her away from situations where she is likely to get stressed.  Most holiday homes don't like you leaving pets in them alone and I won't leave her in the car as it's too warm at this time of year.  

She loves the freedom of the big empty beaches so really looking forward to the weekend :D  
Mary & Lottie x

scoobie

« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2004, 02:30:47 PM »
Mary  I know what you mean about holiday homes not letting your dog stay behind for a little while we hired a cottage and after we had tired scoobie out we left him to rest and he was great and a happy little dog :D so yes it is difficult but like you say wide open beaches just sounds great with your lottie..mary she will be fine
where abouts are you going in cornwall? we are looking to move to north devon/cornwall just waiting to find a place and sell our house which is on the market now..joy ..I  feel as if Im always cleaning my house in preparation for a view anyway have a great time at the weekend  :D
Edith

scoobie

« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2004, 02:37:26 PM »
Louie
sorry but I couldn't stop giggling at the image of your cocker sitting still and going nowhere without mum :rolleyes: they all have their funny ways don't they
Edith

Offline DIANNE32

• Site Member
    • http://www.DIDO.mypetpages.net
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2004, 09:08:51 PM »
:P Bailey has also done this in the past, however i just put it down to him being a puppy as he doesn't do it now. It may just be a phase, i may be wrong though as ive only had Bailey for 8months so still an amateur. :lol:  
DIANNE,CHRIS, BAILEY & EBONY
[http://www.dido.mypetpages.net

Offline Mary

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2004, 10:23:55 AM »
where abouts are you going in cornwall? we are looking to move to north devon/cornwall just waiting to find a place and sell our house which is on the market now..joy ..I  feel as if Im always cleaning my house in preparation for a view anyway have a great time at the weekend  :D
Edith
We're staying just outside Rock which is about 10 minutes from Wadebridge.  You must be excited about moving down there, lucky you ;)

Yes, Lottie will be fine, she actually loves going away and exploring new places just as long as we stick together :D  
Mary & Lottie x

Offline Cathy

• Site Member
« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2004, 07:01:04 PM »
Jazz also loves going in the car.  

I always take the treat bag out with jazz, when we go for walks. through out the walk she gets the odd bit of kibble or cheese.. and so far i haven't had much problem with her not coming back except when someone else has more tasty food.

I know recall isn't the problem, but I was thinking seeing as she is such a greedy guts like jazz, she may look forward to it and enjoy it if she thinks shes going to get bits of food, for doing fun things..

Maybe she has a stash of food in the car...

CATHY

'A dog may be the only opportunity a human has to choose a relative.' -- Mordecai Siegal

Offline Mary

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2004, 10:00:02 PM »
Hi Cathy

Her recall isn't a problem as I always have treats on me when out walking ;)   In the past she has trotted back to the car but that has not happened for a long time.  I always know when it's likely to happen and keep her focused with treats :rolleyes:

Walking on the beach tomorrow will be fine, the problem will start when we sit down.  If the girls go off to the sea she runs to them and as soon as she gets there she runs back to us.  She then sits there really uptight watching them.  She hates us being spread out :rolleyes:   If we do all sit together and she's relaxed she'll then go off to find a picnic she can share :o  :unsure:  
Mary & Lottie x

Offline Magic Star

• Site Member
« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2004, 11:03:45 PM »

Walking on the beach tomorrow will be fine, the problem will start when we sit down.  If the girls go off to the sea she runs to them and as soon as she gets there she runs back to us.  She then sits there really uptight watching them.  She hates us being spread out :rolleyes:   If we do all sit together and she's relaxed she'll then go off to find a picnic she can share :o  :unsure:
Aww Mary, thats really sweet, a little mother hen :wub:

Offline DIANNE32

• Site Member
« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2004, 11:17:26 PM »
:P i know its nowt to do with the topic but that pic of robbie is ace. :P  :P  :P  

Offline Magic Star

• Site Member
« Reply #12 on: August 27, 2004, 11:34:50 PM »
:P i know its nowt to do with the topic but that pic of robbie is ace. :P  :P  :P
 :lol: I know Mary won't mind the change in topic, shes as besotted with robbie as I am :P

It is a fab pic though, wish it was a wee bit bigger though :lol:  

Offline DIANNE32

• Site Member
« Reply #13 on: August 27, 2004, 11:43:51 PM »
:P mmm robbie is gorgeous xxx :P  :P  :P  

Offline Mary

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: August 30, 2004, 06:31:54 PM »
Glad to see a few more Robbie fans appearing :D  ;)   I'm envious of all the Robbie avatars, I'm on a mission to find a good one now too :D

Just to say we're back from our short break and Lottie had a great time.  I invested in some Rescue Remedy and it really helped.  I only used it a couple of times, once when we were sat outside a pub overlooking the sea and she had to be kept on her lead and the other time in Padstow as it was rather busy.  I'm certain it helped her ;)

Met loads of other cockers.  Along with cockers it seemed that Springers and Border Collies were the firm favourites on the beaches ;)  
Mary & Lottie x