Author Topic: Any thoughts on Chappie and pancreatitis?  (Read 20372 times)

Offline AnnieG

• Site Member
Any thoughts on Chappie and pancreatitis?
« on: June 26, 2009, 12:29:18 PM »
We have just hauled Cassie back from the dead after a really bad and frightening bout of pancreatitis with atypical symptoms.  The vet hospital is now recommending a diet of Chappie.  I can't find any information about it on the Pedigree website.  Any thoughts about how good it is (for those who have survived the smell!) and whether wet or dry is better? I am perfectly prepared to spend my life with a peg over my nose for the sake of my girl but I want to make sure I am doing her good and not just following the prejudices of an elderly vet who is simply recommending what was around 'when ee were a lad'. She was previously fed on Burns and fresh veg and I must say is absolutely ecstatic about the change.  ::) ::)

Offline Helen

• helen noakes jewellery
Re: Any thoughts on Chappie and pancreatitis?
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2009, 12:34:56 PM »
hmmmm....has she been on anti-biotics recently?
helen & jarvis x

Offline AnnieG

• Site Member
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2009, 12:51:56 PM »

Yes - big doses as the pancreatitis was accompanied by a massive liver and bile duct infection and pretty scary jaundice.  It presented far more like a liver tumour than pancreatitis. Why, Livercake?  Am I missing something obvious? She is stable and sorted now - it's the long-term feeding regime I'm trying to sort out as she is obviously on a low fat diet for life now.  Not that she was ever on a high fat diet.  It has actually driven me blimin' mad when - despite all my denials - the entire veterinary fraternity seems to assume that I've been pumping cheese and chips down her for years.  >:( >:(  If I fed myself as wisely and carefully as I have fed my dogs, I'd look like Felicity Kendal rather than her mother.  ::)

All advice welcome.

Offline Rats and Dogs

• Donator
  • My gorgeous Gari. 25/11/97 - 17/06/09
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2009, 12:55:58 PM »
I don't know much about Chappie, but just wanted to say don't let anyone make you feel bad about her feeding, we know you would never have fed her high fat food. I never fed Gari anything bad either, and he ended up with a tumour, it's just sheer bad luck.

I hope Cassie is feeling a lot better now, I'm so glad she pulled through, it must have been a terrible time for you. :luv:

PS, how do you know what Felicity Kendal's mother looks like?! ;) :lol2:
Fiona, Dougie & Tia x
Gari - My Angel at The Bridge

Offline AnnieG

• Site Member
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2009, 12:59:21 PM »
I don't know much about Chappie, but just wanted to say don't let anyone make you feel bad about her feeding, we know you would never have fed her high fat food. I never fed Gari anything bad either, and he ended up with a tumour, it's just sheer bad luck.

I hope Cassie is feeling a lot better now, I'm so glad she pulled through, it must have been a terrible time for you. :luv:

PS, how do you know what Felicity Kendal's mother looks like?! ;) :lol2:

Thanks a lot for that.  The vet's disbelief is still rankling a lot with me so that makes me feel a lot better. You are right - I don't know what Felicity Kendal's mum looks like ... but I sure as hell know her daughter doesn't look like me.  :005: :shades:

Offline Helen

• helen noakes jewellery
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2009, 01:00:21 PM »

Yes - big doses as the pancreatitis was accompanied by a massive liver and bile duct infection and pretty scary jaundice.  It presented far more like a liver tumour than pancreatitis. Why, Livercake?  Am I missing something obvious? She is stable and sorted now - it's the long-term feeding regime I'm trying to sort out as she is obviously on a low fat diet for life now.  Not that she was ever on a high fat diet.  It has actually driven me blimin' mad when - despite all my denials - the entire veterinary fraternity seems to assume that I've been pumping cheese and chips down her for years.  >:( >:(  If I fed myself as wisely and carefully as I have fed my dogs, I'd look like Felicity Kendal rather than her mother.  ::)

All advice welcome.

just wondering if she was on Anti-b's before she got pancreatitus - her diet sounds spot on, and I was wondering if there was anything that could have exacerbated the onset of it, and Antibiotics have been known to bring it on ....
helen & jarvis x

Offline Rats and Dogs

• Donator
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2009, 01:03:37 PM »
just wondering if she was on Anti-b's before she got pancreatitus - her diet sounds spot on, and I was wondering if there was anything that could have exacerbated the onset of it, and Antibiotics have been known to bring it on ....
I wish I hadn't read that, Gari was on antibiotics the week befoe he died...

Sorry Annie, I'm hijacking your thread, I seem to be making a habit of that just now.

But, I am just so relieved that your Cassie got through this. :luv:
Fiona, Dougie & Tia x

Offline AnnieG

• Site Member
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2009, 02:13:32 PM »
I wish I hadn't read that, Gari was on antibiotics the week befoe he died...

Sorry Annie, I'm hijacking your thread, I seem to be making a habit of that just now.

But, I am just so relieved that your Cassie got through this. :luv:

Don't worry - you're not hijacking anything.  I know just how you feel.  I have been through the same hell as you went through with Gari for the last month but have been lucky enough to still have my girl with me at the end of it.  My heart aches for you.  I know how you go over and over everything, desperately trying to see how you could have done something differently that would have changed the outcome.  It's agony but almost impossible to stop.  So thanks for being so generous about Cassie's recovery.

Re the antibiotics, Livercake, she was on them before the pancreatitis became apparent but it was to deal with the sudden attack of vomiting which - in retrospect - was probably the first symptom of the whole sorry mess.  Before that, she has had virtually no meds apart from her vaccinations for over two years.  It's ironic that it's our older dog, Millie, that has always given us anxieties.  We always took Cass's good health for granted.  Bad mistake.  ::) ::)

Now, about the Chappie ............????????

Offline Helen

• helen noakes jewellery
« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2009, 02:26:40 PM »
I really don't think it's diet related in this case, and I think your vet should be looking at other causes....of which their are many, but diet is the one that vet's always grab at first  :-\

Known causes include obesity or hyperlipidemia, trauma, decreased blood flow to the pancreas, toxins, medications, chronic kidney disease, infectious agents, pancreatic duct obstruction, and neoplasia.

It's more common in middle aged bitches, and cockers are a breed that are very susceptible to it.

Personally, although I don't rate Burns for my dog (he didn't thrive on it) it is a good food with a very controlled fat content and one that I would rate as better in fat content than Chappie.  I would contact Dr Burns via their website and ask for their advice too as I'm sure he would be interested to hear that his food is being connected to a Pancreatitis attack  :shades:

and Fiona, I would think that Gari's tumurs bought on the pancreatitis  :'( :'( :luv: :luv: :luv:
helen & jarvis x

Offline Rats and Dogs

• Donator
« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2009, 02:33:53 PM »
and Fiona, I would think that Gari's tumurs bought on the pancreatitis  :'( :'( :luv: :luv: :luv:
Thanks Helen, I'm sure I know that deep down, just going through the "blame" stage. :'(

Annie, if Cassie likes wet food, you can now buy Burns meat to put through the dry. The veg through it is a good idea too, she might not be ecstatic at going back on to it, but I'm sure she'll like it with a little something mixed in. :D

Fiona, Dougie & Tia x

Offline Helen

• helen noakes jewellery
« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2009, 02:35:32 PM »
Thanks Helen, I'm sure I know that deep down, just going through the "blame" stage. :'(

:bigarmhug:
helen & jarvis x

Offline AnnieG

• Site Member
« Reply #11 on: June 26, 2009, 02:54:03 PM »

:bigarmhug:

Fiona, I haven't been on COL for a while for obvious reasons so I didn't see the thread about Gari and didn't realize how recently you had lost him.  I've read it now and howled my eyes out.  I am so so sorry.  Of course you have nothing to blame yourself for. It sounds as if he had the most wonderful life with you with the best care anyone could give.  I gather that Gari, like Cassie,was a rescue dog.  Even if I too had lost my dog, there would have been comfort in knowing that she had finally experienced all the love that was missing from her early years. Blame those who abandoned a poor innocent dog but never, never blame yourself for giving Gari the happiest time of his life.  I really admire you for having room in your heart for Cassie's plight after everything you have been through.  I hope so much that the pain eases soon. 

Annie x

Offline Hurtwood Dogs

• Donator
  • Little Lionheart
« Reply #12 on: June 26, 2009, 02:55:46 PM »
In answer to your question about Chappie, both mine are on it at the moment (have been for about a year I think) and they don't smell and are thriving on it (after doing badly on Burns and JWB).

I know a lot of people dismiss Chappie however, personally, I can't see how 'good' dry foods really offer that much more other than ethically (and obviously they are a lot more expensive), because the preserving process of any dry food is a pretty destructive one and they all have to have vits etc put back into them because of this. Chappie is a good basic food and if it suits your dog, I'd go with it. Mine are on dry and sometimes get the cans also. I do add fresh raw veg and occasionally meat/fish for variety also.

Hope she continues to improve  :-* :-*

Hannah xxx

Hannah, Dave & Normy xx

Trev 2001-07 soul dog, always in my heart and dreams x

Offline Rats and Dogs

• Donator
« Reply #13 on: June 26, 2009, 03:14:48 PM »
  I really admire you for having room in your heart for Cassie's plight after everything you have been through.  I hope so much that the pain eases soon. 
Thank you for your lovely post about Gari. I have only highlighted this section, to say that I care about every dog and never want anyone to go through what I did. When I hear of any dog being ill or in pain I want to help them, there will always be room in my heart for dogs and all other animals - Gari gave me that gift. :luv:

Now, go and give Cassie a great big kiss and cuddle from me! She is one lucky girl to be rescued by such a caring person.:luv:
Fiona, Dougie & Tia x

Offline Tori

• Shannara Leap of faith AKA Mr bubbalicious - Otis
« Reply #14 on: June 26, 2009, 04:09:18 PM »
One of my first cockers had cronic pancreatitis for many years starting with an attack when she was 6yrs.  My vet at the time suggested chappie as her long term diet along with pasta and this is what she stayed on until the end, we were when able vn control and work her through any attacks just with this to.

my lovely jessica was diagnosised with cronic pancreatitis begining of this year.  This has come on after she had a very very severe acute attack last year which was triggered after the vets had to touch her pancreas during her exlap surgery a few weeks previous.  I know control her the same way i did with lace and so far she is doing very well.

hth x

fiona, with regards to your beloved gari, please please please don't beat yourself up, pancreatic tumors are different and you did everything you could Xx
i haven't been able to post on your thread since the sad day as it brings back very sharp memories for me as this is pretty much exactly the same thing that happen to my angel maddie years ago, the only difference is that it wasn't until after she was gone the we were able to put together the signs that were there before hand, that and i never got the chance to say goodbye vn hold and kiss her one last time, she was 6 :-(
 thinking of you Xx
Tori & Co x
aka the luscious Laney, Jessica ferret, Scrum bum Otis (pictured)and Sasha the basha welshie - sadly Sasha was set free to run at the bridge 13/01/11 to prevent further suffering.... Until we meet again sweet angel xx