Author Topic: Is it just teenage behaviour??  (Read 713 times)

Offline Coco

• Site Member
Is it just teenage behaviour??
« on: July 06, 2009, 03:28:43 AM »
Gizzy has started, in the last few weeks, to play with mostly but also sometimes chew my shoes  >:( She is being a right little tea leaf and anything that's mine she wants. She's really into knickers, scarfs, bras, vest tops too. Basically anything small she can fling about and stick her head through  ::) and carry outside. She does have proper toys and more so plastic bottles, chews, cardboard rolls, plastic pots etc (not 'cos I'm cheapo, she seems to like these better  :005:) but still wants to take my bits and pieces.
She has also, I discovered, started going to the toilet in the cellar. I don't know how long for because we barely use it but I did discover 2 poos and about 7 wee marks some old, some new (gross I know but as I say we don't often go down there). She has also pee'd in the dining room twice, in the bathroom and the hall once but the last ones have been while I've been at home. She knows she's not to as usually she follows me everywhere and she'll not folllow me to where she's done it. Plus, this is very out of character.
She has only been left for a max of 3hrs and usually not that long at all and she goes out right before I leave and as soon as I get back.
As her toilet training was so hard I still always reinforce her 'wee word' and the 'good girls' when I see her go outside so I don't think it's me being complacent.  :huh:

So, is this just teenage behaviour, she is now 1yr 2.5mths or is it that she isn't getting enough stimulation etc, have enough alternative toys or could it just be a slight change in her routine that has brought this about?
Also, this is the stupid question part, but could the weeing be because the door is always open now it's been hot, she comes in and out as she pleases and as such there isn't such a clear outside/inside boundary or she doesn't pee when she's out because she's in and out so much she thinks she can go out whenever and if the door is shut she gets desperate IYSWIM?
There are no bad dogs, just bad people
Vicky, Wherry and Gizzymo

Offline spanielcrazy

• Site Member
Re: Is it just teenage behaviour??
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2009, 02:46:16 PM »
Bracken went through a similar phase right around the same age (14  months; and lasted til he was about 18 months) I lost or have chew marks in sooo many shoes  >:( I know, serves me right for 1) having so many shoes  ph34r and 2) leaving them where he could get them  ::)) He (and the rest of us  ::)) went through a very rough adolescence but we have all come through it and he will be a fine dog; I'm dusting off my whistle, bumpers and gun. :blink:

He is a very high maintenance dog, requires a lot of attention, excercise and things to keep his mind occupied. I'm not sure stimulation is what he needs as he tends to be a bit overstimulated and hyper on his own. It is more focus excercised that I am interested in. (I also used the flower essence Vervain as that describes his pwersonality to a t) He also needed (needs  ::) :005:) to learn that I cannot entertain him 24/7 and that he needs to go and have some quiet time without my attention

As for the toileting, could you make the cellar off limits to her? You'll just have to go back to basics and keep her where you can see her.  ::)
The madhouse: Michelle, Joy, Jordie, Gizmo, Bracken, Jewel

"My darlings,I love you more than life itself, but you're all ****ing mad!"  Ozzy Osbourne

Offline Hurtwood Dogs

• Donator
  • Little Lionheart
Re: Is it just teenage behaviour??
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2009, 02:52:22 PM »
Second phase chewing thing is very common - both my cockers have done that and it's soooooo annoying! With regard to the toilet thing, I'd go back to confining her in a smaller space for a while so she has less free roam and when she gone without a mistake for a while gradually increase the amount of space she has access too - it's a pain but will hopefully reaffirm what you want of her.

Good luck!
Hannah xxx

Hannah, Dave & Normy xx

Trev 2001-07 soul dog, always in my heart and dreams x