Author Topic: When should we stop using a puppy crate?  (Read 3118 times)

Offline waggytails

• Millie and Hattie
Re: When should we stop using a puppy crate?
« Reply #15 on: July 05, 2009, 05:43:06 PM »
Well today we did it.  We went into town and left Hattie to roam down stairs,  I was a little worried about doing it because as i have said we have Millie who is deaf and cannot see very well, but we got back after 2 hours and there was nothing eaten/ruined and as far as i can tell both dogs looked pretty relaxed.  What a relieve.  I think i will still be closing the create door at night time as we have just got her back into a normal routine after weeks of her waking at 3.30am.
Mum to Hattie and Darcy

(Millie now forever playing on the beach,  RIP 06/03/2010)

Offline Han

• Darling Darcey
« Reply #16 on: July 05, 2009, 06:00:18 PM »
My Alfie actually adores his crate and goes in on his own expectant of his kong I doubt we will ever stop using it as it is somewhere he feels secure and comfortable.
I don't think the age of a dog matters as to whether they stay in a crate or not personally.

I agree. darcey absolutely loves her crate. she runs into it and waits for her kongs if we're going out and for her bedtime biccie at night. sometimes she sits in it expectantly just on the offchance! we still use her puppy pen too but I'm going to try to cut that down, she loves it and goes in really happily but it takes up so much space! I know i can trust her in the kitchen/ utility room now.

Offline Adele73

« Reply #17 on: July 06, 2009, 12:56:56 PM »
I left Toby in the kitchen/dining room today while I popped to the supermarket - I was just going to be a short while so thought it would be the perfect trial - I was a bit longer than anticipated though as someone reversed into me in the car park!  However when I got home everything was intact and Toby seemed happy.  I'll try again tomorrow for a bit longer.