Author Topic: Lazy Or Not Trained?  (Read 2678 times)

Offline *Jay*

• Donator
Lazy Or Not Trained?
« Reply #15 on: October 02, 2004, 07:50:40 AM »
Nope :lol:  :lol:  
Dallas ( 10) & Disney ( 9 )

Playing at the Bridge: Brook (13/06/04), Jackson (23/12/05) & Vegas (14/07/10)

Offline shonajoy

• Site Member
Lazy Or Not Trained?
« Reply #16 on: October 02, 2004, 08:34:16 AM »
The first thing I would suggest is no more carpet!  Laminate floor - the answer to our prayers!!!

Woody is fully trained and asks to go out at 5.5 months.  I basically spent every waking minute by his side in his formative months and he got the message.  Reinforcement, praise, treats and trying to "pre-empt" him by getting familiar with his body language.  And if he left the room - I followed him!!!  Didn't trust him an inch and it paid off.

Quick plug for a great new cleaner I bought last week for laminates, tiles and linos - it washes and then SUCKS up the dirty water so is great for spills and piddles!!  Email me personally if you'd like any more info (I'm a humble housewife and not an undercover salesman I promise!!))  :lol:
Is it the Hoover Floormate Jo? I got one of those and love it!
Shona, Indie(5) and Hamish (4)

Offline Sass

• Site Member
Lazy Or Not Trained?
« Reply #17 on: October 08, 2004, 07:10:06 PM »
Alfie is now 18 months old and perfectly toilet trained, or so I thought until 10 minutes ago!!!!!!!! He's just stopped  mid mouthful of tea and hunkered down for a great big wee....... on the kitchen floor!!!!!!!!!!
'NO naughty boy' I shouted to which he gave me the 'Who, me?' kind of look!!!!!!!
Just as well my husbands out!!!!!!!!! :blink:  
Sass and Alfie xx

Offline GillS

• Site Member
Lazy Or Not Trained?
« Reply #18 on: November 02, 2004, 09:20:12 PM »
My dog Dylan is 18 months old and he pees or sometimes poos through the night.  He wakes me up sometimes and I trail downstairs and open the door and he just looks out.  The other night he did that, then had a drink, then went in the dining room and peed on the rug.  What is that all about????The rug has since been thrown out.  I have tried ignoring it, but now I tell him off cos I think he needs to know he has done wrong.  He never does it upstairs, always in the dining room or hall downstairs.  luckily it is usually on the laminate.  I might try to give him less to drink on a night time, see if this helps.  Nice to read that I'm not the only one with these problems.

sweetie

Lazy Or Not Trained?
« Reply #19 on: November 02, 2004, 10:59:13 PM »
same here,it,s mad because mabe,s is toilet trained and goes through the night,at 16weeks,yet jasper at 3yrs,will still sometimes leave a pressie for me in the morning,he would not dream of doing it in the day,but for some reason still does at night,still can,t work that one out :blink:  

Offline Sheryl

• Donator
Lazy Or Not Trained?
« Reply #20 on: November 03, 2004, 03:16:32 PM »
Both my girls are pretty good about not doing anything in the house but I have to say that although Chloe will cry when she wants to go, Holly gives no indication at all.  Don't get me wrong, she does hold it when I am at work but if I forgot to let her out, she would stand and pee in front of me without any indication that she needed to go.  Bit like kids really, all different :D

And they are 8 years old, not babies!!!
Sheryl, Holly, Kali, Baby Lyla and Angel Chloe

Sue H

Lazy Or Not Trained?
« Reply #21 on: November 08, 2004, 07:44:10 PM »
Dear KellyP,

I noticed in your first post that you said you were both upstairs when your dog went to the toilet downstairs - sometimes, their signs are subtle, and you may have missed a certain restlesness ... If in doubt - take out !!

Everyone expects the odd accident (even into adulthood, if we are careless) but I guess that living in a bungalow means that for a good deal of the year I can leave a door or patio door open so my two can go out when they need to.  Now that it is wet and manky, however, I have to reinforce the 'tiddly-widdly' and 'quick'quick' routines so that when I let them out in the morning, at lunchtime etc. they actually do their jobs !  Jeremy is home mid-afternoon, so there are not many accidents, but we do sometimes get woken at 4am by someone who 'forgot' to go at 11.30!

DO reinforce the widdle routine and get them used to going last thing - otherwise, contain them in a place where there is some paper or an easily cleaneable flooring so no-one gets stressed if an accident happens !

Sue H

Lazy Or Not Trained?
« Reply #22 on: November 08, 2004, 07:50:03 PM »
Sorry - just thought of something else when I reviewed the whole posting - you mentioned 'new' carpet and 'new' house - have you moved sinc you got your Cocker ?

If so, or if you have simply refurbished, this may be an effort by yourdoggy to make your nice new things smell more like your nice old things - fine by doggy standards but pretty depressing by ours!!

Make a nice nest with stinky (!) bedding and just let things settle down really - hopefully your Cocker will accept the new smells and mellow enough not to want to imprint everywhere !!