Author Topic: Chloe is growing up ..u/date heading for the hills p2  (Read 2360 times)

Offline SkyeSue

• Inactive
Chloe is growing up ..u/date heading for the hills p2
« on: September 26, 2009, 06:12:25 PM »
Not really sure where this should go, so please move it to an appropriate place if necessary Mods  ;)

Chloe is really growing up now and I notice so many things that suggest she is really maturing and is turning into the dog that I always dreamed of having  :luv: She is calming down (putting her lead on and getting out the house and into the van is almost a sinch these days...although she does have her off days  :shades:) Her recall is abought 90%...but again, there are off days  ;) She has almost got the hang of stopping to the whistle, or voice command. Her stays are getting longer and longer. Today was a real break through though. I took her on a lead walk into the Cuillin mountains, not up them, but just a walk along the rocky glen towards them. At first she pulled like a train, but within 15 minutes she calmed down and we walked about 3 miles with her staying at heel. She was on a flexi lead and ruffwear harness, but I found that giving her the full length of the lead was no good at all....she could have pulled me off my feet. So I kept the lead short and she was an angel. She just seemed to know when we we had to negotiate rough terrain, and would follow my "steady" cues, walk behind me, and stop when I asked her to. On the way,l met a local guy who knows the area well, and says the glen has been cleared of sheep 3 weeks ago, and that it would be safe to let her off lead. I didn't have the whistle with me, but tomorrow I shall go again and let her off. At long last, I feel we are heading towards the day I can take Chloe hill-walking, either on or off lead, I'm just so happy. It's what I always dreamed of.
Sorry for the long post; can't help myself  :shades: ;)
And if any new puppy owners are reading this....believe me, it WILL get better. You think they will never grow out of their menacing ways, but they do, I promise  ;)
Thanks for reading  ;)

Sue and Chloe, happy girls on the Isle of Skye

Offline Hurtwood Dogs

• Donator
  • Little Lionheart
Re: Chloe is growing up ;-)
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2009, 06:21:41 PM »
 :clapping: :clapping: :clapping: :clapping: :clapping: :clapping: :clapping: :clapping: :clapping: :clapping: :clapping: :clapping: :clapping: :clapping: :clapping: :clapping: :clapping: :clapping: :clapping: :clapping: :clapping: :clapping: :clapping: :clapping: :clapping: :clapping:

Well done  ;) It's amazing isn't it AND it just gets better and better... enjoy every second of your fab little girl :luv: :luv:

xx

Hannah, Dave & Normy xx

Trev 2001-07 soul dog, always in my heart and dreams x

Offline SkyeSue

• Inactive
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2009, 06:23:45 PM »
:clapping: :clapping: :clapping: :clapping: :clapping: :clapping: :clapping: :clapping: :clapping: :clapping: :clapping: :clapping: :clapping: :clapping: :clapping: :clapping: :clapping: :clapping: :clapping: :clapping: :clapping: :clapping: :clapping: :clapping: :clapping: :clapping:

Well done  ;) It's amazing isn't it AND it just gets better and better... enjoy every second of your fab little girl :luv: :luv:

xx

Aww thanks Hannah; I feel a bit stupid going on about her, but you know what its like, whenever they reach a milestone, you just want to celebrate don't you  :luv:

Sue and Chloe, happy girls on the Isle of Skye

Offline Boof

• Site Member
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2009, 06:25:22 PM »
Well done! :D Clever girl Chloe :luv:

Online Joules

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2009, 06:28:24 PM »
Well done both of you.  :clapping:
I know what you mean - the first year or so was not quite the relaxing time I had expected - you know walking along with calm and loyal dog by my side - yeah right!  ::)  In fact walks were quite stressful - still can be at times if there are picnics around   >:(  But it does get better and now there is no one I would rather go walking with than Coco  :luv: :luv:
Julie and Watson

Offline mum2milly

• Inactive
  • Jumbi Speed Queen, "Milly" xx
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2009, 06:35:44 PM »
Brilliant Sue! Glad to hear things are comming together with the gorgeous Chloe  :D
I've noticed a difference in Milly too recently, like you say, you just want to shout it from the rooftops eh?!
Keep up the good work Chloe  :luv: :luv:

Love Jo & Milly xx

Offline EmmaA

• Site Member
  • Eric
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2009, 06:37:12 PM »
A huge well done to both of you  :D
You have worked so hard to achieve this with Chloe. I wouldn't put it all down to Chloe maturing, most of it will be down to your hard work and determination. Treat yourself to a nice glug of vino tonight, you deserve it  :clapping: :clapping: :clapping:

Offline supergirl

• Wonderful Indie
« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2009, 06:43:37 PM »
Oh Sue thats great, I know exactly what you mean as well.  While Misha has been a relatively easy dog to deal with, its seems as she approaches her 2nd birthday, a switch seems to have been flicked - which others have noticed too.  At agility she has become incredibly responsive to what I ask and really listening for direction.  However, Roly is still a work in progress ;) who definitely has a mind of his own - but then thats part of the fun of having cockers :lol2: :lol2:
Misha, Ellie, Roly, Lexi (& Karen)

People who have dogs live longer - it's all the extra love

Offline Top Barks

• Site Member
    • http://www.topbarks.co.uk
« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2009, 06:47:19 PM »
Brilliant, well done! :shades: :D

Mark Sanderson BSc Hons (canine behaviour), FdSc CBT, CAP 1, CAP 2
Member of The Association Of Pet Dog Trainers (00977)

Check out my website http://www.topbarks.co.uk/  www.yorkdogtrainer.co.uk

Offline Mrs K

• Molly Ma Loon
« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2009, 06:56:28 PM »
Well done Sue and Chloe, all your efforts are paying off Sue  :luv: :D
The reason dogs have so many friends is because they wag their tails instead of their tongues.

Offline lindseyp

• Donator
« Reply #10 on: September 26, 2009, 07:13:30 PM »
A huge well done to both of you  :D
You have worked so hard to achieve this with Chloe. I wouldn't put it all down to Chloe maturing, most of it will be down to your hard work and determination. Treat yourself to a nice glug of vino tonight, you deserve it  :clapping: :clapping: :clapping:

Ditto that from me too, Sue
what a lovely feeling & you have every right to be happy  :luv:
If your dog thinks you're the best.....don't seek a second opinion!!

Offline Oliver21508

« Reply #11 on: September 26, 2009, 07:17:02 PM »
Well done. how old is she now?

Offline cdpops

• Site Member
« Reply #12 on: September 26, 2009, 07:28:38 PM »
Thats a lovely post. Well done to you both.

Offline waggytails

• Millie and Hattie
« Reply #13 on: September 26, 2009, 07:31:56 PM »
Well done Sue, you have worked hard with Chloe and i think deserve a bit of the praise. :clapping: :clapping:
Mum to Hattie and Darcy

(Millie now forever playing on the beach,  RIP 06/03/2010)

Offline toro

« Reply #14 on: September 26, 2009, 08:15:36 PM »
Fabulous news Sue!!  :clapping: (Am so jealous of you living in Skye BTW - I got married in Portree!) Good luck at the glen tomorrow...make sure you let us know how you get on
Angi, Alex, Freckles and Ollie