Author Topic: rage syndrome (im new dunno if this is in right place lol)  (Read 3497 times)

Offline sam88

rage syndrome (im new dunno if this is in right place lol)
« on: October 19, 2009, 12:02:40 PM »
hi all
      i am on another forum as well as this one it is a rabbit forum and when asking about cockers on there i was told all this stuff about rage syndrome people trying to put me off cockers and telling me not to get a solid colour and to watch out buying one basically. there was people also defending breed but not as many as warned me off

they have not put me off i still want to get one but am wondering if you could help me by either telling me your own expiriences with it or how common it is etc. because its worried me a little i must say.

what do you do if ur pup gets it?

p.s sorry if yas have answered this before......or if im being silly lol

Offline tots

Re: rage syndrome (im new dunno if this is in right place lol)
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2009, 12:13:56 PM »
i was warned about this too so read up about it,
i was told it doesnt happen very often and isnt just in cockers, im sure someone more experienced will be able to help as ive had dogs all my life but this is my first pedigree cocker,btw   i forget to say....welcome :D

Offline Hurtwood Dogs

• Donator
  • Little Lionheart
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2009, 12:16:52 PM »
Hello there, welcome to a forum of people that do actually know about cockers  :lol:

I'm assuming most of the people advising you don't actually own cockers or know more than what they've 'heard' which is how this myth continues to live saddly.... There has been an unfounded gossip around for years that cockers in particular solids and even more so goldens all have rage. It's not true. I've had a solid gold and a blue roan and actually the gold cocker was the easier in terms of the difficult puppy years and a lot softer than the blue roan.. but that's irrelevant and certainly neither of them have rage  :D In fact, on the whole of this forum, (which has 1000's of cocker owning members) I think I've only heard of one case on here of a dog being diagnosed with Rage - although I may be wrong but it gives you an idea of the frequency of it.

There are lots of threads on this subject but here is a FACT for you. Real rage syndrome affects not only cockers but a number of breeds and is EXTREMELY RARE. You would be very very unlucky to have a cocker with rage and as long as you do your research and find a good breeder that is breeding for ethical reasons and has all the right health checks done on the adult dogs before breeding, then you should be fine. There have been a lot of misdiagnosed cases of rage which have actually been behavioural issues which have been badly handled, causing a stressed dog that has started to defend itself, but again this is not very common and true of lots of different breeds and is nothing to do with rage syndrome.

It's extremely sad that people who don't take the time to actually research things like this spread these false stories.... please correct them from us!

There is stacks of info on this forum so settle down for a good read and do your research on the breed and what they need from their owner and finding a good breeder and you'll be fine  ;) Cockers are generally busy active little souls and if they're not given sufficient exercise or mental stimulation, they can start to entertain themselves or develop behavioural issues so they do need a level of work but it's very rearding and they're wonderful dogs to own  :luv: :luv:

Hannah xxx

Hannah, Dave & Normy xx

Trev 2001-07 soul dog, always in my heart and dreams x

Offline ElaineH

• Donator
  • Handsome Morgan 19/06/2008 - 03/03/2024
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2009, 12:19:06 PM »
Well said Hannah!  :clapping:
"Histories are more full of examples of the fidelity of dogs than of friends"  Alexander Pope

Offline LurcherGirl

• Site Member
    • Wagging Tails Dog Training
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2009, 12:21:22 PM »
No-one is quite sure yet what rage sydrome actually is, one thing however is clear: it is very rare!

I have an American cocker that had what some people/vets would have labelled rage syndrome! He was an extreme resource guarder and he would also occasionally attack our other dogs for no obvious reason. His attacks were sudden and the aggression out of all proportion! It would take me minutes to snap him out of it at times!

In Jesse's case it turned out to by autoimmune thyroidits (hypothyroidsm) that caused this "rage"! Since being on thyroid medication, the outbursts have stopped. He is still a resource guarder, but that's within perfectly normal range now and not a problem anymore!

So some "rage cases" could be down to thyroid. Some others that I have heard about are simply resource guarding issues! And some say that "real rage" is actually epilepsy or something very similar to that.

In a nutshell, I wouldn't worry about it! If you want to get a solid cocker, go for it. Do your usual research asking about parents, their temperaments, any issues they are having etc.

If a dog really has rage and is that unpredictable, then putting to sleep is probably usually the only option! But to be honest, it's not just cockers that may in some very rare cases have such issues!

Vera
Vera Marney
BSc (Hons) Canine Behaviour and Training, APDT UK
www.wtdt.co.uk and www.wtdt-eastanglia.co.uk

Offline laurenollie

• Site Member
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2009, 03:23:53 PM »
Ollie is a solid golden cocker, and he's my first dog.

In the early days when he was being a bit of a nightmare pup - I remember spekaing to some people who automatically said rage because he was a solid gold cocker - luckily I read peoples posts on here which made me realise he was just being a pup with mouthing and biting etc and he soon grew out of it.

Ollie can also be posessive over his balls sometimes and he makes some growling/grumbling noises - people have also warned me about this and him getting rage but he's just being a normal dog with a tennis ball habit!!!

So if you do get a cocker please be aware that people will still prob point out aspects as being rage as they aren't educated!!!

L&O x

Offline spanielcrazy

• Site Member
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2009, 03:32:20 PM »
Here is a very good article on it. While the article is geared toward Springers, and they call it "Springer Rage", it's the same thing, and a bit more prevalent in Springers but still rare.

(and I love the updated addendum at the end  :blink:)

http://www.essfta.org/Health_Research/aggression.htm
The madhouse: Michelle, Joy, Jordie, Gizmo, Bracken, Jewel

"My darlings,I love you more than life itself, but you're all ****ing mad!"  Ozzy Osbourne

Offline Hurtwood Dogs

• Donator
  • Little Lionheart
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2009, 03:37:16 PM »
Here is a very good article on it. While the article is geared toward Springers, and they call it "Springer Rage", it's the same thing, and a bit more prevalent in Springers but still rare.

(and I love the updated addendum at the end  :blink:)

http://www.essfta.org/Health_Research/aggression.htm

The addendum is great, wonder if Mr Milan has read it yet ph34r ph34r ph34r  :clapping: :clapping: :clapping:

Hannah, Dave & Normy xx

Trev 2001-07 soul dog, always in my heart and dreams x

Offline LauraT

• Site Member
« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2009, 03:52:18 PM »
Tia is a solid red/golden cocker and you couldn't wish for a more loving dog. She hasn't got a bad bone in her. You would have to be very, very unlucky to get a cocker with rage. As has been mentioned earlier it is very rare.

Offline Holly Berry

• Donator
  • Today I’m going to be a b****r
« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2009, 04:08:33 PM »
Welcome to COL

Totally agee with everything that has been said.

I have a solid golden cocker who was a rescue, I was the 3rd person to have her as she has been agressive to a cat and another dog and there was a fear this was because she was golden and could have been "inbred"-hence rage syndrome. She was 12 weeks old!

Yes she did get agressive especially with food but with her background and breeding, we suspect that she was from a puppy farm, the issues with food were really to be expected. With patience this is no longer an issue and she has become the most wonderfully affectionate and placid dog.

My advice would be only buy from a reputable breeder who breeds for health and temprement and NOT for commercial reasons.

Please don't be put off Cockers IMO (which is biased) they are the best breed in the world.
Rosie Cassie Lucy Poppy and Holly My Angels at the Bridge

Offline williamsmum

« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2009, 04:31:33 PM »
Please,please don't be put off cockers by this! Several years ago, my first cocker, a blue roan went through a similar thing. He was terrible - difficult to train, quite dominant etc. He bit three people in quick succession, and my male GSD was terrified of him. He used to 'attack' for no reason, grabbing Max around the throat and shaking him like a rag doll. It was extremely frightening to watch, and after the last attack, I took Jasper (cocker) to the vet, and asked him about behaviourists, because his behaviour was becoming so extreme. My vet (who I found out long afterwards hated cockers) told me that a behaviourist would be no good, because Jasper was exhibiting rage syndrome, and my only option was to have him PTS. I was in bits, but the vet told me in no uncertain terms that if Jasper bit a child or something like that, I would be ordered to have him destroyed. I very reluctantly listened to what he said, and agreed that having him PTS would be the best thing. Oh my God, how much I have regretted it since that day, having a young dog destroyed, and my entire family heartbroken. With hindsight, I do not believe that Jasper had developed rage syndrome, and the guilt I have now lives with me forever. I have since got another cocker, William, who is six and a half, and he is a fantastic little dog, although he does get very possessive with his toys and warns my GSD off in no uncertain terms. Hindsight however, is a wonderful thing. Please listen to all on here when they say that true rage syndrome is very rare. Cockers are fantastic!

Offline Rats and Dogs

• Donator
  • My gorgeous Gari. 25/11/97 - 17/06/09
« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2009, 05:09:51 PM »
There's plenty of good advice here, and one thing I'd like to add, is if you do decide to get a Cocker, make sure you find a vet who is experienced with them and understands their traits, as that can make a huge difference. :D
Fiona, Dougie & Tia x
Gari - My Angel at The Bridge

Offline silly milly

• Donator
  • silly milly
« Reply #12 on: October 19, 2009, 05:43:18 PM »
my first cocker was 2 years old - a solid golden boy - when he first developed "rage".  this was 30 years ago.    i put up with his attacks and biting etc for months.     the vet said it was cocker rage and i should have him put to sleep.  although i was only 17 at the time, i refused to believe he could not become his previous good natured self again.   to cut a very long story short, i ended up rehoming him with a lovely old retired couple who desperatley wanted him and said they would spend the time that i could not ( college ).

i did not keep in touch as i could not bare to.   however, speaking to my groomer - who has bred and shown cockers for over 30 years,
she said she thought the symtoms i told her sounded more like a brain tumour.   i will never know as i did not keep in contact with the new owners.

but.............i have since had a blue roan boy, who was the kindest, gentlest boy ever.  i now have a solid black bitch who is 3 years old and i got her as a rescue when she was 8 months old.   she is not the best natured dog in the world, but i love her to bits and realise that she had a mixed up start to life. 

please think carefully about getting a cocker - they take over your lives, with cocker cuddles and kisses and they are the most wonderful breed to own us!   

good luck!
with lots of love from silly milly and her mum!!!!

Offline ElaineH

• Donator
  • Handsome Morgan 19/06/2008 - 03/03/2024
« Reply #13 on: October 19, 2009, 05:49:27 PM »
hi all
      i am on another forum as well as this one it is a rabbit forum and when asking about cockers on there i was told all this stuff about rage syndrome people trying to put me off cockers 

I don't necessarily think that rabbit owners would be very well clued up on cockers actually,  :shades: don't listen to them.  ;)
"Histories are more full of examples of the fidelity of dogs than of friends"  Alexander Pope

Offline AnnieA

• Donator
  • Ted!
« Reply #14 on: October 19, 2009, 06:34:57 PM »
Welcome to COL.  :D

Agree with everyone else that genuine rage is extremely rare.

I got told that cockers are "overbred with terrible temperament problems and no good with children", just this morning.  I've learnt just to ignore comments like this and do a lot of mental eye rolling.  ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::)  :005:

Anyway, you're in the right place now.  Just do all your research, make sure you know what you're looking for in a breeder, and you will learn lots from the lovely people here.  :D

Sleep tight Henry, our little snuggle puppy :luv: