Author Topic: New 2 Yr Old Cocker - Biting! What To Do?  (Read 1668 times)

Offline stevesfl

• Site Member
New 2 Yr Old Cocker - Biting! What To Do?
« on: October 23, 2004, 05:42:07 PM »
We just yesterday, brought home a 2 yr old male, neutered black cocker from a animal shelter.  .  No history was available on the dog.  The two times we visited, he had a great, playful, friendly disposition.    

We also have a 7 yr old golden retriever.  The dogs seem to get along very well.

Last night, my 14 yr old son approached the dog from the rear, to pick him up, and the dog growled.  When he approached again, the dog went to bite him on his hand.

We have not seen any other evidence of this behavior.  

We are very seriosuly considering retruning him to the shelter - we are concerned about what we've read on cockers' tendency to bite, and with two 14 yr old kids, and their endless friends over at the house, we don't want to have to worry about another episode.

Any thoughts/suggestions?   :huh: We realize that the dog may have been freaking out with his new family + surroundings (although he seemed very happy).

TIA

ss

Offline *Jay*

• Donator
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2004, 06:11:11 PM »
Well, first of all, I wouldn't be making any hasty decisions to return the dog ;)  Was he assessed before coming to you? A lot of animal shelters/rescues will assess dogs before rehoming to check if they are suitable to be homed with other dogs/children/cats etc.

The first day in a new home can be very daunting for a new dog, whether a pup or an adult.  They need a little while to adjust to their new surroundings and family and they can get overwhelmed quite easily.  

Its not really a good idea to approach a dog from behind and then try and pick him up - he's probably just got really freaked out and bit out as a defence mechanism.  If hes a rescue dog, you don't really know whats gone on in his previous home and it may be that he associates being picked up with something horrible.  When I have to pick my dogs up, I approach them from the front so that they can see me, and then I pick them up from the side. That way they are not taken by surprise.

It might be a good idea also to get the kids involved in the day to day routine such as feeding and walking and other 'nice' things.

Have you tried contacting the shelter also to ask their advice? I would hope that they would be willing to help if they knew you had a problem.
Dallas ( 10) & Disney ( 9 )

Playing at the Bridge: Brook (13/06/04), Jackson (23/12/05) & Vegas (14/07/10)

Offline daftcockers

• Site Member
    • http://www.chaysonniecockers.co.uk
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2004, 07:14:23 PM »
my dogs don't like being approached from behind especially if they dont realise you are there, as Gill said always approach them from the front
WWW.CHAYSONNIECOCKERS.CO.UK

Thanks susan and the gang

Offline Maria

• Site Member
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2004, 08:10:40 PM »
Boysie's a rescue cocker who loves us dearly - but he doesn't like being approached and picked up from behind. Actually, he doesn't particularly like being picked up / physically close to us much at all. The other day my OH tried to pick him up from behind and he growled and struggled. When he was put down he was soooo sorry for growling, but we have to accept he just doesn't like it. It has taken him 18months to 'tolerate' being occasionally close (like on the sofa if he is invited). But he will happlily sit at / on your feet and follow you everywhere. We have had to accept he just isn't a cuddly dog - in his past life this may have been 'trained' out of him, though he is (very) slowly beginning to enjoy some physical attention.
Please stick with it - your children are old enough to understand he might just like his own space for now. In time, when he has settled and realised you are his forever family, he might become more affectionate.

Offline Luvly

• Site Member
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2004, 08:35:44 PM »
Nikkoletta + Wunderschöne Welpen Lindos demais

Offline Hel

• Site Member
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2004, 10:02:08 PM »
If he has only just been neutered, he may still be very sensitive in that area.  Has anyone picked him up before from behind, has your son?  

Even if he hasn't just been neutered, some dogs can remain very sensitive in that area.  My parents' spayed bitch aged 5 still screams if you pick her up in a certain way - there is no obvious reason why, she was spayed after her first season and she has been vet checked many times.

Offline TOPAZ BILLY

• Site Member
  • De Girls!
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2004, 08:13:11 AM »
Billy doesn't like being picked up full stop, and especially not from the back. I would just take a deep breath and don't panic, just think how you would feel if you where in a strange house with excited strange people :D and the tried to pick you up by your bottom :blink:  :blink:  You have got to win his trust first, if his only vice in life is not being picked up I would count myself very lucky.

I hope he settles in soon.

Michelle

Offline suki1964

• Site Member
  • Look mum - no legs :)
« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2004, 02:12:00 PM »
Alfie is another cocker who hates to be picked up - hes not a cuddly boy at all, much prefers to be sitting on your feet :)

One thing though Im concerened that you have read that cockers have a tendency to bite. Its been my experience that this is not the case. Puppies will bite because thats the way ALL puppies play and its a stage they go through which can be a nightmare at times. My last boy was the soppiest thing on four legs and only ever got snarly with other dogs coming into the house and now Alfie is coming to the end of his teething his biting is becoming less, usually only happening when he gets over excited with play.

I would echo what the others have said and refrain from picking him up and see how things go. It may well be that he just hates being picked up or it may well just be a reaction to the stress of being homed. Give it a bit of time and speak to the rescue people to see if they can give any more information on him

Good luck with him

Caroline and Alfie

Offline Pammy

• Inactive
« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2004, 02:27:19 PM »
Steve - just to add and confirm what's been said really. All this new home, new people, other dog etc etc is an awful lot for a dog to take in, especially one who's been through rescue. This usually is because of some trauma which leaves some baggage :( .

He needs lots of space, peace and lattitude to get to know his new surroundings and family.

Treat him with the same respect you would any strange dog you met, no less - and a bit more for good measure. Would you go to the back of a strange dog and try and pick him up? Prob not - same applies here.

Your children and their friends need to treat him with the same respect again - prob a bit more to be honest and let the wee fella find his way.

It can take up to 12 months for a rescue dog to fully settle in - so please do give him a fair chance before thinking of taking him back.

hth
Pam n the boys

Growing old is compulsory growing up is optional

Offline PennyB

« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2004, 04:23:50 PM »
I agree with everythings thats been said as this could happen to any rescue dog whatever the breed.

Your new dog needs routine and at the same time space to settle in.

Not sure where you are but Gwen Bailey who does the perfect puppy book also does one for the rescue dog that's also very good. You may be able to find it on Amazon or in a good book shop. I'd also speak to the shelter as some of them have behaviourists/trainers or at least someone who you can speak to about this settling in phase.
Friends of Hailey Park
Four Paws Animal Rescue (South Wales)

Cockers are just hooligans in cute clothing!

Offline Tracey J

• Site Member
« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2004, 06:50:06 PM »
I can't add anything to the great advice that has already been given but just wanted to say good luck to you with your new boy.  It's a challenge to take on a rescue dog, whatever the breed.  Imagine you'd just adopted a child, he would take a long time to settle in to a new family, your dog needs time too.  I'm sure, given time and patience, your new addition will give you years of fun and love.
Tracey, Molly &  little brother Brodie!

Sue H

« Reply #11 on: November 08, 2004, 08:37:00 PM »
A growling episode can be either something or nothing (my 2 Cockers do growling to order and we all know when it is play-growls or real-growls), but you need to factor in what you have expected of him, what your children know about handling dogs, and how settled he is in his new home.  No dog is perfect - they all come with a certain amount of emotional baggage, especially re-homed dogs, and it is surely up to those who re-home them to ensure that they are going into an environment which is sympathetic with their needs.

Reinforce that growling has no effect - turn away and ignore his when he growls.  He will undoubtedly crawl back with said toy or whatever and then drop it if he thinks you do not want to even look at him.  Ignore this at first, but then praise when he drops the toy. If it is the children he growls at, then do not let them interact with him.  Then, let them give him little treats, but not play raggy games.  Eventually, give him treats when he plays nicely (drop the ball / relinquish the toy) and make sure that he knows that in the family hierarchy, they are above him !!