Author Topic: Skidding!  (Read 1107 times)

Offline tgisue

• Site Member
Skidding!
« on: October 26, 2004, 09:10:51 AM »
Hi all,
We are first time owners of a dog and have been visiting this site for guidance since bringing home our golden cocker Hannah who was six months old.

She has just started to sit on the grass and skid herself along :o She is regularly wormed and I have seen dogs doing this before but have never known why.

Any advice will be much appreciated!

Offline sportsmonki

• Site Member
  • Storm
Skidding!
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2004, 09:36:10 AM »
Some dogs do that, and there doesnt seem to be a problem that is making them do it.  They are just keeping themselves clean, and perhaps leaving a scent trail also as I understand.  However (it's unlikely at 6 mnths, but later in life) if your dog is doing it very often and starts to show discomfort as she sits down it could be that she has an absess/her anal glands need cleaning out.  In some dogs these glands become blocked, and need squeezing by the vet to clear them.

sportsmonki

Offline Tracey J

• Site Member
Skidding!
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2004, 09:48:52 AM »
It's an idea to get the vet to check her out if she's doing this regularly, especially if you notice a fishy smell around her.  My 16 month old bitch Molly has had to have her anal glands emptied every 2 or 3 weeks for the past few months :blink: .  Not very pleasant for her, but has to be done.  Last time she had to have an injection too to ward off any infection.  
I hope you find out the reason for her 'itch' soon.

Tracey, Molly &  little brother Brodie!

Offline suki1964

• Site Member
  • Look mum - no legs :)
Skidding!
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2004, 11:47:46 PM »
My last boy used to do this if he had a dicky tum and had slightly runny poos. Dont know if it was because he got a sore bum or he was just making sure he was clean but as i say it was only after a runny poo
Caroline and Alfie

Offline daunting

• Site Member
Skidding!
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2004, 12:09:42 AM »
My girl Saffi does this too - she gets blocked anal glands - luckily she manages to sort them out herself without a trip to the vet each time.  
I tend to up her protein intake when she starts bottom sliding - raw chicken wings works wonders for her - apparantely the bones as they are 'passing through' help to unblock them.
Would be best to take Hannah to vet though just to make sure.

Have you noticed that following the bottom sliding that she gets really smelly poos - as it stinks to high heaven when they do unblock......... good indicator that it is blocked glands.

Unfortunately Saffi tends to think that my kitchen is her 'dumping ground' so is not the most pleasant thing to come across.......

Love the name by the way - did it come with her or named yourself - she sounds so sweet.
Donna, *Tia*, Saffi, Max, Harley, Egan, Mia

http://hope-rescue.proboards.com/index.cgi

Offline Mary P

• Site Member
Skidding!
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2004, 11:53:32 AM »
Hi,
Tia does this scooting most days immediately after her poo.
She's almost 9 years, and after we got her a year ago, I was worried about anal glands and took her to the vet, but no problem there.
She doesn't smell, no worms, so I've come to the conclusion that she's just cleaning herself. ;)
Cheers,
Mary P

Please help me raise £1000 for MAGGIE'S CENTRES
Thanks!

www.justgiving.com/Mary-Cuba2015

I NEED YOUR HELP, PLEASE DONATE!!! PLEASE ASK OTHERS TO DONATE!!!