Author Topic: Whining/Crying  (Read 672 times)

Offline Carol09

Whining/Crying
« on: January 03, 2010, 03:52:18 PM »
Jay has proved to be a star over the last year and he is a lovely dog, in fact we will soon be posting his 1st birthday photo's on Jan 12th so watch out for those, we can't quite believe where time has gone.  :luv:

Anyway back to my only gripe (for the moment :005:),  Jay for the past few weeks whines and cries in the car whilst driving to our favourite walk, he doesn't do it when going on lead locally, but a car ride is unbearable.  It gets that bad that I sometimes have a headache when I get there and it's only a 10 minute drive as well.   I have tried ignoring him, shouting shhhhh all the time, and turning my music up but nothing works.  He must know we don't like it and like a child whining it doesn't get him anyway apart from told off, plus I really don't want him getting Duggie into bad habits, so any ideas???  He doesn't do it on the way home and I am sure he's only excited but he knows where we are going and I can't get there any faster with him whinging.  >:(

Offline kcj

• Site Member
  • The Gang
Re: Whining/Crying
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2010, 05:35:37 PM »
Yip sounds like he is excited and knows where he is going. Its only an idea but could you take him for a quick drive around the block and back home get him out of the habit of every time he goes in the car he ends up at the park. Only a thought, i have a bitch  Millie who whines when we get ready for a walk, she can't control it now she is 6. It stops when we get going but it is loud so i know what it must be like, and it must be worse in a car. Sorry i can't be any more help good luck

Offline Mary

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2010, 06:45:41 PM »
Can't help but can sympathise!  Lottie whines and cries when we're packing up the car if we're going out for the day which means we have to put her in her crate in the car ages before we ever leave just to shut her up.  Once she's in there she's happy ::)  She also whines and cries when I'm peeling veg and dishing up a roast dinner.  It's unbearable at times!
Mary & Lottie x

Offline Anita D

• Dog Walker Cheltenham & Tewkesbury
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2010, 06:48:44 PM »
Is it possible to teach a 'quiet' cue?
Dog Walker in Cheltenham & Tewkesbury.  Owned by Paddy & Fergus

Offline Carol09

« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2010, 07:29:35 PM »
I do hope there is a 'Quiet' cue >:(  He gets VERY excited when he knows he's going for a walk in general, in fact I have warned others in the house NOT to use the words "Walkies" or "Are we going out" because it winds him up.  We have, oh hang on, I have also been practising making him wait at the door and if he rushes it i shut it and start again until he calms down.  He goes walkies everyday, yet he whines like he's never been.  He is fine when we are there apart from marking every tree like a mad dog.

I think Kcj might be on to something there, perhaps drive him up the road and back and pretend we are not going where he thinks.  Unless I really try to block his whining out it is dangerous driving in that circumstance because he drives you mad. >:(