Author Topic: Strange Behaviour From 20 Month Old  (Read 1008 times)

Offline padandmurph

• Site Member
Strange Behaviour From 20 Month Old
« on: October 30, 2004, 09:41:40 AM »
Hi I wonder if someone can help.

Our 20 month old cocker, Paddy, has been acting really strangely for a few days (he's normally very good and has never been any trouble).  He keeps sitting outside in the garden and refusing to come in, even when its raining.  Paddy has always been the type of dog that wont go outside by himself when its dark or raining and me - being the fool that I am! - having to wait with him.  We've had a puppy (now 15 weeks old) for a couple of months but they hit it off from the start so I don't think thats the problem.

I know cockers can be stubborn, but this is crazy. My husband had to go outside at 10pm the other night with a torch to persuade him to come in.  He was sat in his kennel looking very grumpy as if we made him go outside.

Any ideas or advice would be appreciated!

Thanks
Suzie  

Offline *Jay*

• Donator
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2004, 12:07:57 PM »
Hmmmm, not sure about that one :lol:  Is he okay otherwise? Eating/drinking ok, etc? Has his behaviour changed towards either yourselves or the pup? Has anything happened in the home that might have upset him? This can be something that seems really insignificant to us but might have a huge impact on him. It may also explain why he would rather be outdoors than stay in the house.  If you can't think of anything, it may be worth popping him along to the vets just to get a check over and make sure there's nothing physically wrong with him.
Dallas ( 10) & Disney ( 9 )

Playing at the Bridge: Brook (13/06/04), Jackson (23/12/05) & Vegas (14/07/10)

Offline Pammy

• Inactive
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2004, 12:20:43 PM »
I agree with Gills suggestions. I also think it could well be related to your new puppy. Is the puppy rough with Paddy, dominating him etc? It could be that Paddy's feeling a bit put out and doesn't know how to cope :( .

Do you treat Paddy any differently since getting the puppy? It so easy to inadvertantly put the puppy over the older dog because of the cutesy element and all the demands a new puppy has etc. Try feeding Paddy first if you don't already and making sure that Paddy gets all the attention first and that puppy gets his turn second. This will reinforce Paddy's position as top dog if it's that that is causing him to behave in this way.

hth
Pam n the boys

Growing old is compulsory growing up is optional

Offline padandmurph

• Site Member
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2004, 02:57:10 PM »
Thanks for your replies.  Murphy (the puppy) is a bit boistrous so we try to separate them so he doesn't annoy Paddy too much.  I always make sure that Paddy gets extra attention so he hasn't felt left out since having Murphy.

Who knows what it could be?  He's eating and drinking as normal.  Just acting a bit strange for some reason.  The other night it freaked me out because it was a full moon!!!  He does seem a bit happier now, tail is wagging and I'm getting lots of cuddles again.  Perhaps I did something to upset him without realising it.

Thanks again.    

Offline PennyB

« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2004, 07:02:38 PM »
May be this is also his way of getting even more attention. I gave Ruby loads more attention when Wilf arrived and so she decided to paly me up big time so I then had to start ignoring her which was the only way I could bring her back into line again.

Friends of Hailey Park
Four Paws Animal Rescue (South Wales)

Cockers are just hooligans in cute clothing!

Offline Luvly

• Site Member
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2004, 10:02:28 PM »
 :D
Nikkoletta + Wunderschöne Welpen Lindos demais