Author Topic: Purina vs jolleys lifestage for puppies  (Read 12554 times)

Offline BeckyD

Purina vs jolleys lifestage for puppies
« on: January 25, 2010, 10:27:41 PM »
not sure of anyone has used or heard of the jolleys lifestage pet food for puppies but i was in the store today and compared the ingredients list on both puppy varieties of Purina and the jolleys brand and there isnt really much of a difference in the content of the food, i was wondering if anyone knew of any differences in the food other than the price? lol
Life is only worth living when it is blidingly colourful and the occassional mess

Offline spanielcrazy

• Site Member
Re: Purina vs jolleys lifestage for puppies
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2010, 02:17:45 AM »
Personally, I wouldn't feed either, especially to a puppy, if I can afford a better quality food. However I do understand when money is tight  ::) so let's have a look at them side by side:

http://www.jollyes.co.uk/lifestage_dog_puppy.htm

THe Jollyes lists 36% chicken meat meal, which is a bit low for puppies (but par for lower end dog foods) with rice and corn next, followed by the fat source (which puppies need) Since "meal" has had it's moisture content removed, we can be pretty assured that it is a true 36%. I'm not thrilled about corn in dog food as it is not easily digested by dogs

http://www.purina-proplan.com/uk/dog/puppyAllSizesOriginal_more.asp

By comparison, Purina shows having 20% chicken, not meal, but that means the chicken before the moisture has been taken out for the purpose of dry kibble. This means that you are now down to about 7% chicken  >:( Then we have a lot of rice, wheat gluten--not a good thing, it is the junk that is left over when the good stuff is taken out, but artificially boosts the protein content; "dehydrated poultry protein"??? the junk parts of miscellaneous poultry; animal fat (no species given-could be anything  >:() "digest" (usually the stomach contents of cows) and more wheat  ::)

Given a choice between only the two, I think I'd go for the Jolleys (and I bet it's the Purina which is more expensive?  ::)) but if you can affor it I would look for a better food with a higher meat content and better quality "other stuff" ;)
The madhouse: Michelle, Joy, Jordie, Gizmo, Bracken, Jewel

"My darlings,I love you more than life itself, but you're all ****ing mad!"  Ozzy Osbourne

Offline Jessie_Pup

• Donator
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2010, 08:13:15 AM »

If you are going into a Jolleys pet shop I think they are now selling Barking heads.  It contains no additives etc and no beet pulp.  A better premium brand.

Offline BeckyD

« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2010, 08:26:39 AM »
some useful info there, so if either brand isnt much good then what are the best brands to feed?

@ spanielcrazy - yes Purina is about twice the price of the jolleys brand  ::)
Life is only worth living when it is blidingly colourful and the occassional mess

Offline Nicola

• FTCh Caoimhe
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2010, 12:12:40 PM »
If you have a read of the threads on this board you'll see lots of food recommendations. Some good quality dry food brands are Healthy Paws, Burns, Barking Heads, James Wellbeloved, Arden Grange, Robbie's and Orijen.
Nicola, Tilly, Rodaidh and Caoimhe x

http://www.flickr.com/photos/30049807@N08/

Offline black taz

« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2010, 12:15:14 PM »
Any opinion on Beta puppy (again i think it is a Purina brand).  My parents always used it for their retrievers and one of them lived the grand age of 15 in good health

Offline Nicola

• FTCh Caoimhe
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2010, 12:30:00 PM »
Personally I wouldn't feed Beta, it's not a good quality food at all. This is the ingredients list for the lamb&rice puppy food -

Cereals (min 4% wholegrain, min. 4% rice), Meat and animal derivatives (min. 14% meats, min. 4% lamb), Vegetables protein extracts, Oils and fats, Derivatives of vegetable origin (min. 0.5% beet pulp), Vegetables (min. 0.5% chicory), Minerals. With antioxidants and preserved with EC additives.

So the main ingredient is cereals followed by non-named meat and 'animal derivatives' which are the remnants and leftovers from the abbatoir, this 'lamb' puppy food only contains around 4% lamb, then vegetable derivatives - which vegetables and which bits of them? and it contains artificial additives, probably ethoxyquin and BHT.

There are much, much better quality foods out there than this.

Nicola, Tilly, Rodaidh and Caoimhe x

http://www.flickr.com/photos/30049807@N08/

Offline black taz

« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2010, 12:37:25 PM »
thanks -  i will pick up some JWB on the way home.  I have Taz on Hills Scientific but thought i would try Beta as mum got on with it so well.

Offline MuckyMeech

« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2010, 01:01:16 PM »
I have just changed Bomber from Purina Pro Plan Puppy to JamesWellBeloved because he always seemed entirely hyper (I know cockers are nuts but you could see he was exhausted and just wouldn't 'switch off'  :huh: ) and after just a week on JWB he is much calmer (well back to 'normal for a cocker' anyway  :lol2: ) and is much more settled in his own skin. Personally I won't be going back to PPP

Offline loppylugs

• Site Member
« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2010, 12:53:31 AM »
JWB i think, until recently,was made by same manufactors as Royal Canin,but was bought by Pedigree........

you havent lived till you,ve owned a cocker

Offline BeckyD

« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2010, 01:56:26 PM »
everyone seems to like james well beloved so i think i'l go for that! thank u for the advice  :blink: