Author Topic: Morgan Is In Love...  (Read 1021 times)

Offline Shirley

• Site Member
Morgan Is In Love...
« on: October 30, 2004, 10:16:40 PM »
Hi all

I'd really appreciate a bit of help and advice her as I think these dogs are going to send me to the loony bin tonight.  They are usually no bother at all and saunter about ignoring eachother most of the time and arguing over toys the rest of the time.  But today something really strange has happened.

The boys were inside with me most of the day as we were having posts built for some new gates and there was cement involved.  They just did the usual, slept and ate.  They needed to stretch their legs so we went to the beach for an hour arriving back about 6.30pm.  At the beach they were both acting normally (well as normal as two cockers on a beach can be  :rolleyes: ).  We met one dog (CKCS) which Morgan went to say hello to and Cooper barked at from a safe distance  :rolleyes:  :D .  For once Morgan was not a pain about coming out of the water and I got them in the car just as it was getting dark.  On the way home I could hear some scuffling from the boot of the car and Cooper snarled and barked a couple of times.  The beach is literally 2 minutes away so it wasn't long before we were home.

This is going to sound really funny but having put up with it for the past 3 1/2 hours it's beyond funny to me.  As soon as they got out of the car morgan took off round the garden after Cooper and proceeded to 'hump' him  :o   Now they did go through a phase a while ago of doing this (usually if they were hyper about something else) but believe me this is not the same thing.  Morgan has spent the past 3 hours acting as if Cooper is a bitch.  He's whining and agitated, he's following him round and I can't take my eyes off them in case poor Cooper is taken advantage of  :( .

They usually conk out within minutes of returning from the beach but not tonight - Morgan had other things on his mind and when he couldn't get near Cooper he'd just sit with his head on the sofa staring at him and whining.  They have only just fallen asleep so it's safe for me take my eyes of them to come and get some help.  I felt sorry for poor Cooper as he was getting really fed up with it and did try defending himself but he's so soft he just doesn't have it in him to bite man or beast  :rolleyes: .  

I did think that Cooper may has rolled or stood in something at the beach but after bathing both of them things never improved any.  I've been spraying Cooper with all kinds of potions to try and rid him of whatever smell Morgan has taken a shine to, but so far it's not worked :huh: .

I'd really appreciate if anyone can shed any light on this - what could have caused this sudden change in Morgan?  Please someone, tell me it's not going to last forever  :huh:  
Shirley, Morgan and Cooper
Morgan's Page                                  Videos of my boys

Offline Sheila

• Site Member
Morgan Is In Love...
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2004, 11:08:14 PM »
Sorry...it does sound funny at first read but I can understand you getting a little frustrated after 3 hours of it.

What sex was the dog that they met on the beach...could it have been a bitch around season time and either the smell has rubbed off, or its just got Morgan a little excited.

I cant be much more help..... :(  

Offline PennyB

Morgan Is In Love...
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2004, 12:44:41 AM »
Could this be a power thing with one trying to dominate the other
Friends of Hailey Park
Four Paws Animal Rescue (South Wales)

Cockers are just hooligans in cute clothing!

Offline *Jay*

• Donator
Morgan Is In Love...
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2004, 10:48:11 AM »
What sex was the dog that they met on the beach...could it have been a bitch around season time and either the smell has rubbed off, or its just got Morgan a little excited.

That's all I can think of too :unsure:  How are they this morning? Vegas would like to send his most heartfelt sympathies to little Cooper - he says its no fun being pestered by other boy doggies :(  
Dallas ( 10) & Disney ( 9 )

Playing at the Bridge: Brook (13/06/04), Jackson (23/12/05) & Vegas (14/07/10)

Offline Shirley

• Site Member
Morgan Is In Love...
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2004, 11:41:28 AM »
Well, we're back to normal, thank goodness  :D - don't think I could have stood too much more of that.  It really was tiring - I spent the whole evening trying to keep Morgan off Cooper  :unsure: Poor Morgan obviously wasn't in control but was getting told off for about 3 hours solid - felt really guilty - he's getting lots of cuddles today to make up for it.  He was quite lucky that Cooper is as placid as he is, otherwise there may have been a fight - as it was, it turned into a playfight, just like they used to have when Cooper was really little - gnashing of teeth, biting eachothers ears and jaws round the throat, which I haven't seen them do for months.  Another strange thing was that Morgan peed in the house twice last night - I can't remember the last time this happened <_< .

I don't think it's a power thing - wouldn't I have seen a more gradual change in behaviour between them?  Morgan was snififng him all the time so there was definately something different there.

I'm not sure what cause this - Morgan went to say hello to the dog that we met but just for a few seconds then follow Cooper along the rest of the beach.  I think it the dog had been a bitch season he'd have been less willing to leave her  <_<

Emma mentioned last night that it may be to do with his anal glands and when I thought about it I remembered that Cooper got a bit of a fright on Friday night when Morgan pulled an empty shelving unit over, trying to get a ball that was sittingon top.  It wasn't big or heavy and neither of them were hurt, thankfully, but it did make a bang and Cooper got a fright and he really stank afterwards.  Could this be a factor in Morgan's amorous advances??  If so, why did it all kick off on Saturday night??  Any ideas?? Thanks for the thought so far  :)

Shirley, Morgan and Cooper
Morgan's Page                                  Videos of my boys

Offline Colin

• Administrator
  • Stevie
    • Jimmy Misty & Stevie Videos
Morgan Is In Love...
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2004, 02:50:12 PM »

Sorry I can't help but Morgan is behaving exacty as Jimmy did when Misty was in season...... unable to relax, obsessive staring and whimpering etc. Jimmy even did a wee on the floor too, just standing there, he couldn't control himself as he'd got himself so worked up. :(  He hadn't done that since he was about 3 months old.

I know Cooper is male, and entire, but maybe there is a way males can give off scent occassionally that mimics a bitch in season, a kind of hormonal imbalance ??? I know castrated ones can. It's all very mysterious, unless it is just  an anal gland problem.