Author Topic: How To Teach A Reliable Recall  (Read 71316 times)

Offline BonnieScot

• Site Member
Re: How To Teach A Reliable Recall
« Reply #120 on: August 03, 2016, 11:06:05 AM »
Well done Zara!

How far away from you will she get on the beach? Bon will run for miles in a big space like that, especially if there are crows that need caught  >:(

Offline TimP

« Reply #121 on: August 03, 2016, 01:28:45 PM »
Difficult to judge maybe 1/4 mile but then she will be looking for me if I haven't blown the whistle..

Offline TimP

« Reply #122 on: September 07, 2016, 03:54:16 PM »
Zara, 5 years old and rehomed, is now not coming on the first whistle. I have changed the treats, bisquits , cheese, frankfurters......do I now go back to square one?

Offline Sumava Cockers

« Reply #123 on: April 06, 2017, 07:11:44 AM »
Hi Mark,

Thank you for sharing this knowledge. 

Our boy is just coming up for 5 months old and does country walks with us off-lead entirely thanks to following the advice you have given.  WE also use the gambling technique,  which definitely keeps him very keen. ( Gambling = sometimes  no reward,  sometimes a small reward,  and occasionally a huge reward)

Recall is now 99.9%..... There's always room for improvement isn't there!

Yesterday we had our first big test of recall when he bolted into a hedgerow around 75m away from us in hot pursuit of a field hare.  Five sharp recall pips were immediately rewarded by crashing and bashing in the hedge,  and the emergence of our little brown devil running at full tilt, ears a flapping back to me.   No hesitation,  no think-time,  just immediate and correct reaction.  This is the first time in more than 17 years of cocker ownership that we've had this level of control.  Its amazing.

Again,  a BIG THANK YOU both the three of us,  not least Barnaby who, with this skill imprinted, will lead a life with far greater off-lead freedom than his adorable predecessor.
Sarka, Jon and Barnaby B

Offline TheAdventuresofBarnaby

« Reply #124 on: April 15, 2017, 07:38:25 AM »
An update to our last post ( as Sumava Cockers)..

Yesterday's walk to the forest was accompanied by our two cats,  for the whole 4Km walk!

On the way home our ginger tom made a break for it with Barnaby in hot pursuit.   I let them get around 60m away from me and then gave him the  magic five pips.  Reaction was immediate.  Full brakes-on,  about turn and equally wild running right back to me. 

This was the first real test of the recall,  and we're very pleased with how it went.  Thanks again.

Offline bizzylizzy

• Donator
  • 🙂 Jayne
« Reply #125 on: April 15, 2017, 07:53:41 AM »
 :clapping: - one of those YES! moments - makes the training all so worthwhile and a joy to watch!!!
Well done!!!

Offline TheAdventuresofBarnaby

« Reply #126 on: April 15, 2017, 08:03:54 AM »
Yes indeed Jayne,  but were are ever fearful that he'll forget it all when the teenage rebellion sets in.

Offline ips

« Reply #127 on: April 15, 2017, 09:36:19 AM »
Sounds like your doing a great job, recall under such temptation is good proofing 👍
Muddling along in the hope that one day it all makes sense.

Offline Pup1

« Reply #128 on: April 19, 2017, 04:20:34 PM »
Thanks for publishing this detailed program.  My whistle and lanyard just arrived in the post today, and I'm going to print off the instructions and tick off the days.  My question is: is Step 6 also 2 weeks?  (Apologies if this has been answered elsewhere.)

Offline Gazrob

« Reply #129 on: July 24, 2017, 12:19:14 PM »
I use a dog whistle. When I first got my dog I didn't use one. Eventually he would ignore my voice and only come when he felt like it. Now I've got the whistle he is much more reliable. I have also started to give him a retrieve as a reward for coming.

Offline Natalielouise56

« Reply #130 on: September 03, 2017, 10:06:10 AM »
This thread has been so helpful!! Our pup is only 9 weeks so we are still in the very early stages of training- only just about managed to get his collar on him as he just wants to chew it! Is there a good age to begin this training? Should we start now? Also, can anybody recommend a high-value treat suitable for young pups? Happy to buy or make  :D :D
Thanks!

Offline ips

« Reply #131 on: September 03, 2017, 10:13:51 AM »
I use a dog whistle. When I first got my dog I didn't use one. Eventually he would ignore my voice and only come when he felt like it. Now I've got the whistle he is much more reliable. I have also started to give him a retrieve as a reward for coming.

As an aside I use a silent whistle (tuned just audible) for turns and close stops recalls and I save the 210.5 for a "get here you little **** I wont tell you again" type recall 😁 not sure how many others do similar but I find she responds very well to the silent under normal levels but if she is going"over the threshold" the 210.5 now having a specific "purpose" theoretically has more impact due to infrequency of use. Over use of any whistle command I have found to make the dog sloppy , I suppose its like your partner constantly nagging, after a while you turn off to it 😁
Muddling along in the hope that one day it all makes sense.

Offline Norton

« Reply #132 on: November 04, 2018, 07:01:38 PM »
Thank you Mark for an excellent thread.  I purchased the 210.5 whistle after reading the OP.

I've had 14 month old Maggie for just under two weeks.  Maggie has lived a kennel life for the past 13 months, and is taking to life "on the outside" really well.

The main problem with following the training programme to the letter is that she will insist on following me around the house and garden --- so in-house whistle training isn't an option.  But it took no time at all for her to get the hang of open space whistle training, and so far, she is super-reliable at recall. 

The key I think is to use a high value treat linked ONLY to the whistle and for nothing else, thus linking it in her mind to an unusual reward. It does work.

Offline Top Barks

• Site Member
    • http://www.topbarks.co.uk
« Reply #133 on: November 04, 2018, 09:51:57 PM »
Great to hear

Mark Sanderson BSc Hons (canine behaviour), FdSc CBT, CAP 1, CAP 2
Member of The Association Of Pet Dog Trainers (00977)

Check out my website http://www.topbarks.co.uk/  www.yorkdogtrainer.co.uk

Offline pablothecocker

« Reply #134 on: March 27, 2019, 09:26:05 AM »
Thank you for all the good information in this post from the OP and everyone's own experiences.

I am into the first week of this training with my 13 month old cocker, Pablo. Due to my own naivety i thought i had a reliable recall. That was until natural flushing and hunting took over in the last couple of months and now i find myself standing and watching as my dog runs off into the distance chasing what ever has took his eye (normally pheasants).

Regarding the training i have a few questions regarding the long line ...

When Pablo is on the long line would it be best for me to be in the middle of a field stood static letting him roam around to the length of the line? Do i hold the line or let it run free and grab it if he goes to far?

I have read on some websites that the dog can get awareness of the line and start thinking that it is a long lead.

Also, one more quick question, what duration did people do step 6 for?

Thank you for any replies in advance.