Author Topic: How To Teach A Reliable Recall  (Read 72219 times)

Offline Rich-n-Chuckles

Re: How To Teach A Reliable Recall
« Reply #90 on: January 03, 2014, 03:50:04 PM »
Whistle arrived today so we had little go before we really get into it.
Blimey it's as if he knows what he's doing. :lol:

As we were just testing I got him to sit/stay while I walked away about 30 feet ( can still see me ).
Called him then blew the whistle while on his way then sit and treat. 3 tries all perfect.
So I just try the whistle only without showing his treat, 3 goes at that and that's perfect each time as well.
Now I'm thinking it's too repetitive so we stop and then I try different rooms about half an hour later. Quick toot on the whistle and he came running each time.

I know it's early days with little to distract him but the signs are there to show this could  make our walks so much better.

Quick question.
I can only do a quick blast on the whistle rather than the several do you think that'll be ok?

Offline Murphys Law

« Reply #91 on: January 16, 2014, 04:43:18 PM »
I have been using Top Barks method now for two weeks.

Today we progressed to the field with Murphy on a long line. Brilliant. Flew back to me every time  :banana:

The secret.....sausages  ;)

I have high hopes that Murphy's recall is going to be so much better in a month or two's time.

Offline Mudmagnets

• Site Member
  • My boys
« Reply #92 on: January 16, 2014, 05:20:12 PM »
I have been using Top Barks method now for two weeks.

Today we progressed to the field with Murphy on a long line. Brilliant. Flew back to me every time  :banana:

The secret.....sausages  ;)

I have high hopes that Murphy's recall is going to be so much better in a month or two's time.

By which time the price of sausages will have gone through the roof.  ;)  Seriously tho, well done Murphy and his dad
Remembering Smudge 23/11/2006 - 3/8/2013, and Branston 30/8/14 - 28/10/22 both now at the Bridge.

Offline Murphys Law

« Reply #93 on: January 17, 2014, 04:44:40 PM »
My son took Murphy out today (with whistle and sausage) and had 100% success too, where previously Murphy used to completely ignore him.

I was just thinking though, if they could invent a whistle that makes the same sound as my washing machine opening I would never have to worry about recall again  :005:

Offline ILM

« Reply #94 on: January 17, 2014, 10:16:10 PM »
I've been following this process with Harold for four weeks now, he's sixteen weeks and Top Barks, I congratulate you Sir. I called his name and followed up with a couple of toots on the Acme today for the first time off the lead, in the back garden, and he came every time. Long may it continue. I've got a long long way to go still but I suppose I will be here tomorrow posting 'famous last words' when he decides to ignore me!

ILM

Offline timborj

« Reply #95 on: March 03, 2014, 07:45:19 PM »
I need some help. My 1yr old cocker spaniel bitch has decided that she is just going to ignore any recall we attempt. If we let her off the lead she just runs around like she used to but when we call her using the whistle she now looks at us but turns around and runs off. Last time was the worst when she disappeared for about 40 minutes being spotted on ocassions but every time turning round and running off. We've now resorted to training recall on a long line still using the whistle but lack confidence in letting her off now as we are concerned that she will run off again. Any suggestions? She's great on the lead but rubbish off. HELP!!!!!

Offline Murphys Law

« Reply #96 on: March 03, 2014, 07:52:05 PM »
Murphy went through the ignoring stage when he was six months.

I started again from scratch following Top Barks methods that are on page one of this thread. I found the key was to have a special treat used only for recall (i use sausages) and only to whistle when Murphy was on the way back to me. He has come on leaps and bounds.

Offline r.schneider

• This is my dear little Flossie at 13 weeks
« Reply #97 on: March 04, 2014, 07:37:46 AM »
Thanks Mark,  I printed this out when we first got our pup and started whistle training at 3 months which she responded really well to.  Unfortunately, my husband lost the whistle and I have only just got another two so I have let it slip!!! I am to blame and therefore will start the training process again as she has now reached pubety and sometimes does not listen.  On the whole she is pretty good, but if there are too many distractions like playing with other dogs it is much harder.  I know that the fault lies with me so it is great this post keep appearing to re-enforce recall training as after all the owners have to take responsibility and not keep blaming the dog!!!

Offline Murphys Law

« Reply #98 on: May 07, 2014, 09:05:48 PM »
Murphy's recall really has come on in the last couple of months and now will reliably recall even when playing with a group of dogs, something which I didn't think could happen.

I am still rewarding him with a special sausage treat and was wondering if I should be phasing the treats out. He does seem to be a bit treat dependant when I want him to do anything.

Offline kaz60

« Reply #99 on: February 08, 2015, 08:48:06 AM »
I have been doing this training with our 19 week old puppy. I Let him off the lead for the first time yesterday, he Came back when I blew the whistle apart from one time when he saw another dog. Does this mean I shouldn't let him off the lead again until it's 100% recall?

Offline Scott_Manley

« Reply #100 on: September 07, 2015, 08:06:42 AM »
Hi
Couple of questions:-

1 Are people still using this method? be good to hear if its bullet proof??

2, Alfie is 12 weeks now and 'normally' comes when hes called, I give him a 'click' and a treat but I'm thinking of getting a whistle and trying this way but I don't want him to think that hes not getting a click or should I just keep doing both??
'A Devil in a cute costume'

Offline Joules

• Administrator
« Reply #101 on: September 07, 2015, 08:43:04 AM »
I don't think any method is 100% bullet proof :dunno: but this is by far the most reliable method I use  ;)  It is great for when the dog is further away from you and is a consistent sound, unlike screaming in the park  :005:

It is a good idea to have more than one method of recall and clickers are great - you could still use the clicker when he comes back to you, but what about when you don't have a clicker on you?  You don't need to rely on it for every bit of training you do.

Coco is pretty good at coming to the whistle - she ALWAYS gets a treat and not always when I just call her so she knows she will get a decent reward.  The times she chooses to ignore the whistle or not come straight away is because I have blown the whistle when I am not certain she will respond or if the distraction is just toooooo tempting.

The recall will only be as good as the training - there are plenty of people on here who are better trainers than me and probably have a much more solid response  ;)

So, basically, it is down to how well you train it   :shades: :005:
Julie and Watson

Offline Ben's mum

• Donator
« Reply #102 on: September 07, 2015, 10:25:22 AM »
I used this with both of mine, with varying success, like Joules says its how well you stick to the training.
With Ben (who was 6 when we started out of desperation as he kept running off to eat things, chase things or roll) we bought as long-line, whistle and went right back to basics, OH and I agreed to be consistent in choice of words, how we rewarded etc. and we put in lots of training every day, with the most delicious treats we could find.  Ben is very food motivated anyway, and the training was superb he actually got it very quickly, but we kept practising for another couple of weeks increasing the distractions. I would argue he is 100% as in 6 years he has never failed to come back to the whistle once, from anything  :angel:.  He also really changed as when we were walking he stopped roaming too far away and kept looking at us so we could do verbal recalls as well.

Harry is a different matter  :005: I always argue that he was allowed to chase before he came to us, so already had a well developed chase instinct. He also is not as food motivated as Ben.  But with all honesty I know we never put in the same work either.  For the first year he was with us he was too traumatised to do anything, he couldn't even sit on command without quivering in fear  :'(
But we haven't put in the same intensive training and it shows.  He is fairly sheep proof (not 100%) but pheasants and rabbits are another matter !

I would guess that at 12 weeks is a great time to start.  If I have another pup at some stage, I would just not ever let him think he can get away with not returning to the recall, and would use a long line to make sure if I whistle he comes back  :D  I think the problem comes when you whistle and they don't come back and they are too far away for you to get to.  So small spaces to start, good treats, and use a longline to reel him in  :005:  and gradually increase the distractions.  Good luck I am sure Alfie will do well

Offline Top Barks

• Site Member
    • http://www.topbarks.co.uk
« Reply #103 on: November 01, 2015, 05:22:18 PM »
12 weeks  is a great time to start and the idea of this method is that your dog responds 100% of the time all through the program.  You achieve this by constantly  setting your dog up to succeed all through the training. I always say to clients that if you can't  put your mortgage on the whistle getting the desired response then don't  blow it. We are trying to condition the dog to do a certain thing when it hears a certain sound so we do not want failure or it would slow the conditioning process. One of mine dragged a long line round for five months before I was sure it would work when needed.
Remember,  recall is not only about technique , it is about the value your dog places on being with you above all else. If you are not valuable to your dog then any technique is doomed to failure.

Mark Sanderson BSc Hons (canine behaviour), FdSc CBT, CAP 1, CAP 2
Member of The Association Of Pet Dog Trainers (00977)

Check out my website http://www.topbarks.co.uk/  www.yorkdogtrainer.co.uk

Offline Mawddach Star

« Reply #104 on: February 07, 2016, 10:11:55 PM »
This post is brilliant -  thank you thank you for "step 7" As my lil 20 month old bitch now and again decides she's had enough and wanders off for a sniff around the fields.... :'( BUT!!! saying that she's a hell of a working dog  ;)

THANK YOU