Author Topic: Terrible 17 Month Old Tri  (Read 2481 times)

Offline Cob-Web

• Inactive
  • To err is human, to forgive, canine
    • Walking on Wight Blog
Terrible 17 Month Old Tri
« Reply #15 on: November 03, 2004, 07:01:54 PM »
Archie decide to lurch at her 6 year and managed to pin him to the floor and continued to jump all over the 6 year old until he was dragged off, she said she was worried more because the whole time he was wagging his tail and seemed to be enjoying it, I said he probably was!!!!
  :lol:  :lol:  :lol: Of course he was - what a wonderful game!

We are currently reinforcing to Molo the fact that our 4 yr old daughter is NOT another puppy, and is a more superior member of the pack; he thinks its great fun to jump all over her, especially when she shrieks and giggles in response.

I hope Archie and his family find a solution soon; such a shame they are having problems. Are there any dog training classes nearby? I am thinking less about the training, as I think the basics are needed first, but more about the "peer pressure" element that would come from other dog owners and the trainers, who will be saying the same as you are; she may begin to realise that what is being suggested isn't cruel at all :rolleyes:  
Enrich your life with an Oldie!
Oldies Club

Offline Tidge

• Site Member
« Reply #16 on: November 03, 2004, 07:18:11 PM »
Hi Rachel

My comment about contracts was purely meant to mean that they had nothing to go back to the breeder with, they weren't invited to call if they had any problems.

In fact she told me earlier that she did call them once when the pup was about 20 weeks old, because he was still nipping and the breeder told her that she uses a broom handle on hers!!!!  Hence shes reluctant to contact her again.

Offline tracey

• Site Member
    • http://www.quintaviacockerspaniels.co.uk
« Reply #17 on: November 03, 2004, 08:11:59 PM »
I'm afraid I agree with Colin, I think this dog would be better off rehomed. The family seem unwilling or unable to deal with this situation. The dog has obviously had no rules or boundries set and is pleasing him self. I my opinion this is a very dangerous situation, if the dog does decide to push his luck he will be PTS. Not his fault, this is down to lack of training. I don't think medication will help, he needs a firm kind hand!
If they want to work this out they need to start now, urge them to contact a behaviourist, today! If they feel they can't go on, then there is help out there to find a new home. Do it quickly before things get much worse which I fear they will.

As for the breeder taking a broom to her dogs :angry:

Tracey.

http://www.quintaviacockerspaniels.co.uk

Love All
Trust A Few
Do Wrong To None
William Shakespeare

Offline Cob-Web

• Inactive
  • To err is human, to forgive, canine
    • Walking on Wight Blog
« Reply #18 on: November 03, 2004, 09:41:13 PM »
In fact she told me earlier that she did call them once when the pup was about 20 weeks old, because he was still nipping and the breeder told her that she uses a broom handle on hers!!!!  Hence shes reluctant to contact her again.
Ah!

No support from there, then; I'm guessing that his breeding was not selected for temperment either, which is not really going to help the poor chap,  he has both youth and possibly 'active genes' to overcome :angry:

Having re-read your post, I do see what you meant about contracts; sorry  :ph34r:

I would love to hear that his family decide to change their approach and learn how to provide him with a secure, loving home; I have seen miracles performed when a behaviourist manages to educate a owner/family as to how to handle their dog; but if not, I do hope that he finds another good home soon.
Enrich your life with an Oldie!
Oldies Club

Offline Luvly

• Site Member
« Reply #19 on: November 03, 2004, 11:24:13 PM »
 :police:

Nikkoletta + Wunderschöne Welpen Lindos demais

Offline Tidge

• Site Member
« Reply #20 on: November 04, 2004, 04:13:53 PM »
Hi, It is there first dog and I think she has unreal expectations of what to receive from a 17 month old boy (dog of course).

She has now warned her children that he might need to go away for a while and that they are all going to have to change their approach to him, (so that's something at least).  The 9 year old daughter was distraught and chose to spend the night on the dog bed with him!!!  My poor friend doesn't know which way to turn, short of me moving in with her for a while and literaterally taking over, I'm not sure she's strong enough to treat him as a 'proper' dog and to stop feeling bad because he isn't allowed the run of the house.

I've put her in touch with another Cockeronline member and provided her with numbers of behaviourist passed on via COL, thanks, PM if anyone hears from her, so I can stop nagging her to get this sorted. ;)  

Offline Luvly

• Site Member
« Reply #21 on: November 04, 2004, 08:00:27 PM »
 :-\ :) 
Nikkoletta + Wunderschöne Welpen Lindos demais