Author Topic: sigh--- cocker with agression issues UPDATED  (Read 3351 times)

Offline SkyeSue

• Inactive
Re: sigh--- cocker with agression issues happening again
« Reply #30 on: April 19, 2010, 05:22:27 PM »
Some rescues do take behaviourally challenged  :shades: dogs, and work with them extensively, that is their choice or speciality, as well as taking dogs with good temperaments for simple rehoming.  Personally I don't think it is irresponsible to give up a dog you are not having success with; others may crack it for this guy, isn't he worth that last chance?

I should however point out that this was/is an emergency situation as OP couldn't get a slip lead on him easily without being lunged at and really needs to have control by collar/lead or harness/lead to be able to simply exercise him; emergency measures are called for, as it is likely either she or OH will get bitten otherwise.  If you have never been in that position count yourself lucky!

As none of us are present we cannot possibly know what is going on, what steps or measures she has already taken, nor are we in a position to judge OP.  ;)  Nor do any of us know what this dog has experienced in it's past to make him like this.  ph34r 

Just wanted to say what an excellent post Fifer  :shades:

Sue and Chloe, happy girls on the Isle of Skye

Offline ashley

• --Milo--
cocker with agression issues UPDATE
« Reply #31 on: April 24, 2010, 01:08:32 PM »
Hello All thanks all again for the great advice given

Very pleased to say we have resolved the latest issue of slipped collar and vet visit and it went very well.

I gave Milo a diazepam to calm him an hour before we went to vets, got the slip lead on without him realizing, he was bit upset initially.  He came into the car with me and sat on the back seat next to me having big cuddles and I was keeping him relaxed.  When we arrived at the vets we  called from the car park, the nice vet came out and took the lead off me and Milo went off without a murmur. No control pole needed or knocking him out

We waited in the waiting room and he was back five mins later very calm.  Vet said he'd grumbled a bit but they got a muzzle on him whilst he had boosters and collars and a look over then they returned him with two collars and a slip lead on him, was very pleased to see us and had a big waggy tail.  Got a referral to a behaviourist as well.  The vet said he was in good condition.

Milo hopped back in car and wanted big cuddles and choc drops on the way home and is now tearing round the house with his squeaky ball and is quite happy.

What a palaver....

Pleased he is ok

Thanks for help all, will update on what benhaviourist says

Offline JennyBee

• Princess Brodie
Re: sigh--- cocker with agression issues UPDATED
« Reply #32 on: April 24, 2010, 03:19:57 PM »
Really pleased everything went well with the vets - good luck with the behaviourist and let us know how you get on!

x In memory of Barney x

Offline Karma

• Site Member
« Reply #33 on: April 24, 2010, 04:19:27 PM »

Great news - sounds like the vet visit went much better than expected!! Great that they didn't need to use a control pole!

Good luck with the behaviourist!  :D
Remembering Honey. Aug 2007-July 2020

Offline jann

• Site Member
« Reply #34 on: April 24, 2010, 06:13:00 PM »
 ;)  I'm really pleased to hear how well the vets visit went :D

Good luck with the behaviourist too  ;)

Offline fifer

• Site Member
« Reply #35 on: April 24, 2010, 11:14:00 PM »
Excellent!  ;)
Spaniels In Need

Offline fifer

• Site Member
« Reply #36 on: April 25, 2010, 08:31:00 AM »
Forgot to add.  Now you have two collars on him is the time to start working on the collar/neck issue ie first just touching, scratching under and moving the collar round his neck, progressing to taking off and putting on one collar, always with loads of treats and praise when he does it right etc.  So he learns that collars bring yummy treats! ;)

Now you have the safety net of the second collar you will feel less desperate.

Sounds like he needs loads of confidence boosting work, good luck!  :D
Spaniels In Need