Author Topic: Trouble at `t mill  (Read 3003 times)

Offline Top Barks

• Site Member
    • http://www.topbarks.co.uk
Re: Trouble at `t mill
« Reply #30 on: May 11, 2010, 09:40:10 PM »
Ok i agree that being rough with a dog is only ever an extreme case and one that i would not enter into easily but did anyone watch the top gear trip to the North Pole?
They raced a husky pack against a car

did you see how the professional handler controlled them, even when they got really aggressive, even fighting............................do you think she loved her pets/dogs/tools..........lifeline.......only way back to civilisation any less than we do our pets.

You may not agree on this forum on pack instincts of dogs and humans or with beating dogs (which i am dead set against also) but do take off the blinkers a little and consider why so many dog behaviourists do respect and work with the dog /human pack theory.

Are domestic dogs pack animals? Do you not think that pack theory has been discredited by the very people who first mooted the concept in the first place? Please feel free to move this Jane to a new thread if you think it necessary. I am more than willing to debate this issue on a new thread if anyone cares to join me.

Mark Sanderson BSc Hons (canine behaviour), FdSc CBT, CAP 1, CAP 2
Member of The Association Of Pet Dog Trainers (00977)

Check out my website http://www.topbarks.co.uk/  www.yorkdogtrainer.co.uk

Offline bracken

• Site Member
« Reply #31 on: May 11, 2010, 09:58:58 PM »
At least the muzzel will stop any more injuries. It must be very stressful for you to see your pup being bullied  :'( We have had a few incidents ourselves mainly at night, thankfully it only happens in the evening and we now read the body language and can prevent the incident with distration before it happens, but we do have to be very careful to keep an eye open thankfully its only me and OH so its easy to manage.

Offline Midas

« Reply #32 on: May 12, 2010, 04:59:10 AM »
Ok i agree that being rough with a dog is only ever an extreme case and one that i would not enter into easily but did anyone watch the top gear trip to the North Pole?

did you see how the professional handler controlled them, even when they got really aggressive, even fighting............................do you think she loved her pets/dogs/tools..........lifeline.......only way back to civilisation any less than we do our pets.

You may not agree on this forum on pack instincts of dogs and humans or with beating dogs (which i am dead set against also) but do take off the blinkers a little and consider why so many dog behaviourists do respect and work with the dog /human pack theory.

I think everyone is fully aware of what the pack theory is about and also that it is outdated, has no real relevance for domesticated dogs and can have potentially harmful longterm affects if used rigidly. Please don't spoil this forum by harping on about pack theory on every post!

Offline Jane S

• Administrator
« Reply #33 on: May 12, 2010, 08:59:34 AM »

I think everyone is fully aware of what the pack theory is about and also that it is outdated, has no real relevance for domesticated dogs and can have potentially harmful longterm affects if used rigidly. Please don't spoil this forum by harping on about pack theory on every post!

Discussion on pack theory continuing here: http://www.cockersonline.co.uk/discuss/index.php?topic=72513.0.

Jane

Offline sharonmansfield

• Donator
  • Bluebell and Jasmine
« Reply #34 on: May 12, 2010, 08:06:01 PM »
Aww J I have only just seen this how awful for you.  I am so sorry the boys are not getting along it must be heartbreaking. I do hope that someone can help you work through this with your lads and it has a positive outcome. You are certainly doing everything you can to ease the situation. My 2 girlies sometimes don't get along but its always a lot of noise and not much else  I usually let them get on with it and sort it themselves, I stepped in once and it made it worse but like I say its just noise with my 2 a lot of growling and then Bella pins Jazzy to the floor and they get bored and its over. I do really feel for you J, you have 2 beautiful boys there its such a shame.

Cocker Spaniels are like chocolates you can never have just one!