Author Topic: Occasional and inconsistent aggressive behaviour  (Read 851 times)

Offline tritonx

Occasional and inconsistent aggressive behaviour
« on: October 07, 2010, 07:38:54 AM »
Fraser is 15 months, neutered male and a very, very friendly dog that just wants to greet people and play with other dogs. His back end is always going a mile a minute when he meets either. This afternoon he was introduced to a potential playmate, a 1 year neutered male. I had him on his leash as the other dog was brought into the yard (not our own, a friend's) and Fraser threw himself to the end of the leash snarling ferociously. We backed the dogs off to have a look at each other while I calmed Fraser down and then let them both off the leash. Fraser raced over in his usual enthusiastic friendly greeting and they started to race around. I've virtually never heard Fraser make the ferocious growling (definitely not play growling) before except for one time on a walk, Fraser on leash and meeting another dog that showed it was ready to play and Fraser started off in play response and then had a short burst of the ferocious aggressive snarling and the slicked out of it again and into his usual, tail wagging playfulness. I don't know what to make of this behaviour. I know dogs on leashes behave differently. He was excited anyway because he was visiting two of my friends little dogs and that always gets him up to high doh with excitement and perhaps the introduction of a new dog into the mix and being on the leash just tipped him over into the aggression. He's such a happy, friendly dog usually, it was quite disconcerting to see this other side of him. And he's usually quite submissive rather than dominant with other dogs.

Offline PennyB

Re: Occasional and inconsistent aggressive behaviour
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2010, 10:41:35 AM »
It happens with a fair few dogs I know and can particularly on the lead - leads can make some dogs aggressive/more vulnerable + face on meetings can appear confrontational to some dogs - he may had read certain behaviours in the other dog you may never see as they can be so subtle.

I prefer parallel walking for a start for situations like this where dogs meet side on and walk not too close but parallel with each other.

With the 2 dogs as well they're also the same age and in some it can encourage competition between the 2. I see this among certain groups of dogs on the park - all male all similar ages and most have knwon each other since they were pups. There's often no real aggression in that any of them get hurt but sometimes it spills over into 'handbag' fights then once its over they're friendly again.
Friends of Hailey Park
Four Paws Animal Rescue (South Wales)

Cockers are just hooligans in cute clothing!

Offline Hurtwood Dogs

• Donator
  • Little Lionheart
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2010, 10:59:25 AM »
I agree with Penny - I never let my two meet other dogs when they're on a lead... it's not a natural or comfortable situation for them as they can't greet how dogs generally greet politely - which is not head to head and they also can't sniff each other properly either.

Even if your dog is fine most of the time like this, it's likely unusual situations or dogs he's not sure about could cause him to react in a way that they wouldn't if off lead. Having said that it's also normal for not all dogs to get on or take an instant liking to each other ;)

Hannah, Dave & Normy xx

Trev 2001-07 soul dog, always in my heart and dreams x

Offline Bluebell

• Limited Member
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2010, 11:19:43 AM »
I am also another one who does not let my dogs meet and greet on the lead, and definitley not in a highly excited state, as you have described  :D

It is also worth bearing in mind that at 15 months your little lad is getting to an age where he will want to be more assertive, and not always accept the behaviour of other dogs towards him ;)
It is all completey normal doggy behaviour ;)

Offline Black Red + Yellow

• Inactive
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2010, 12:54:55 PM »
I agree - your little man was feeling quite vunerable and reacted in the only way which felt natural to him because he wasn't able to gather information from the other dog in the usual way - ie, butt sniffing!  Given that once he was off lead, he played normally says it all really - free to be himself.

Don't take it to heart, just learn from it......he doesn't sound aggressive to me if he enjoyed a jolly good play ;)

Offline tritonx

« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2010, 04:48:56 PM »
That's reassuring and I'm glad to hear it's normal. I kept him on the leash as it was a complex situation and he already excited to be at my friend's place where he tends to be too pushy with the small dogs and gets snapped at a lot to which he responds by being submissive and thrusting his rear at the one that is okay with him and wags her tail even when growling. He's just a bit too much for her as he's bigger and heavier. The other just tells him to stay away. So, we took the small dogs up to the deck to make sure they weren't in the mix when the intro happened. We (Fraser and I) were a fair distance from the other owner when they came in the gate and as I didn't want Fraser rushing over full tilt, put on the leash. But I think that's exactly what escalated things. Also, the other owner said her dog is quite timid. As soon as Fraser saw him come round the side of the house, he went into full aggressive mode. It's quite something to see when you're used to your pup being a big, playful goof. I'm learning a lot and thank goodness for this board for getting advice and reassurance. I don't want my mistakes to turn evolving Fraser into a difficult dog. It all turned out well in the sense that they raced around and played though Fraser was full on and wouldn't let the dog go, kept leaping at the dog in a non aggressive way to keep on playing. Eventually the owner was saying that's enough as clearly she felt her dog was being pushed too much. It was great though and showed no aggression or fear. I did get the impression it was a bit overwhelming to be run around so much. The owner thought at points he was running away, but then he'd turn and throw his paws up, so was inviting to play. Later they were outside the deck gate on the stairs while we had tea (because we didn't want to mix it up with the two small resident dogs indoors) and they were fine with each other (though the other dog waited patiently while Fraser whined and whined to be let in to the company--but that's an issue for another time.) Thanks for your help though. Helps me keep perspective.