Author Topic: Trying to teach a controlled greet when visitors come to my house  (Read 2991 times)

Offline tritonx

Fraser at 15 months is becoming more independent minded and sometimes just blows me off when I call him or tell him to get in his bed to keep him from bothering visitors. Getting quite cheeky monkey. The other night my friends came over. I told Fraser to sit a few feet from the door so they could get in without a frantic cocker jumping up at them. He's been taught off, but in excitement still jumps up. He was so excited, he was on the verge of biting me as I tried to get his attention to maintain the sit and had my hands on him. As soon as both of the friends were in, he bolted toward them. They both tried the 'big man' walk, not looking at him and walking around as though he wasn't there, but he still jumped up at them.

So, next time I'm thinking I'll have him on trailing leash and stand on it when he attempts to mug them. But what next? I can't stand there forever with my foot on the lead. How do I get past this initial frenzy of excitement that makes him blind and deaf to me? Otherwise, at home with just me, he's a highly amenable dog.

Offline Hurtwood Dogs

• Donator
  • Little Lionheart
Re: Trying to teach a controlled greet when visitors come to my house
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2010, 08:57:02 PM »
Mine don't get to greet people at the door - I always shut them in the back room of the house downstairs or in the back garden. After a lot of 'off's or 'bed's they know the score now (they are 3 and 5 years). It's not positive training, I'll be the first to admit that but the practicalities of rewarding them for sitting quietly and concentrating on that when all manner of different people knock on the door just aren't there.. and I haven't got time to fanny about attempting to 'train' something with this one and young kids visiting etc etc . It's a tricky nut to crack, because of they get away with it once or are rewarded by just one visitor, you're back to square one - so if he's bad, avoid it until he's matured and calmed down a bit is my advice or only let him greet when you know you can totally control the situation with 'stooge' visitors if you really want to do that!

Hannah, Dave & Normy xx

Trev 2001-07 soul dog, always in my heart and dreams x

Offline tritonx

« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2010, 09:19:55 PM »
I've been looking through past threads and it does seem a tough nut to crack as cockers are just so insanely social which is a good part of their appeal as a companion. He's so good with me, but his excitement level just goes off the scale when people come. And as you say, with people arriving at the door in different combinations, it's just too much to be dog wrangling/training at the same time as you have coats to take, bottle of wine to put in the kitchen etc. That does lead to another problem which is isolation also drives him mental and extremely vocal. In the past when I knew there would be a stream of people arriving, I tried putting him in the bedroom and he just howled the place down, trying to get attention and be let out into the company. I have vids from my Burns night with him whimpering and moaning at a high volume in the background from his penned state. He's such a vocal whiner, I'm thinking of trying to get him to shut up with clicker training. I just don't have the knack yet of dealing with hostessing and keeping my lovable monster under control. I can see people's smiles becoming fixed as he tries to crawl into their laps. Once again, as you say, once one person invites it and several of my friends do, he's ever hopeful everyone wants a lap dog and he's very insistent. The evening becomes a long set of instructions to the dog, off, sit, in your bed, each of which lasts until we're talking again and he's sneaking round the coffee table to crawl up beside someone to cuddle. In fact, he looks to the visitor as protection from my irritating demands for him to off of get in his bed. It's that or an evening long yahooing from another room.

Offline Hurtwood Dogs

• Donator
  • Little Lionheart
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2010, 10:28:56 PM »
It's really hard - most people can't resist a cocker that's the problem :lol: Hopefully you'll get some tricks from people who've had success 'training' this.. my last cocker was similar to your lad tbh. I didn't have a crate at that point and I ended up tethering him near his bed in situations like the one you've described - I'd do it at other times too so he got used to the idea and give him something to chew so effectively he was 'with' everyone but couldn't pester them or dominate the evening, which as you've mentioned, becomes tedious and leads to fixed smiles from your guests :shades: :lol:

With time the dogs expectation is diminished - he's so excited at the moment because he knows there is a chance his behaviour will result in a reward for him - which is total attention! If that doesn't happen EVER, then gradually his expectation of social situations will start to lessen and as a result of that, his behaviour will calm. When he's under control you can try loosening the rules slightly and see how he behaves but right now, it's important he consistently isn't rewarded for pestering...

It does get easier as they mature, I promise!

Hannah, Dave & Normy xx

Trev 2001-07 soul dog, always in my heart and dreams x

Offline clairep4

• Site Member
  • The Two Muppeteers!
    • Chow Bella Pet Bowls
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2010, 10:23:31 AM »
I have to admit that my two are the same although thankfully they do calm down fairly quickly.

One thing you could try (which I'm trying with a client dog) is to teach him to target the back of your hand. Then teach him to target other people's hands. If you clicker it then he should come to you for the treat, the objective being that he learns if he touches a visitor's hand then comes to you he gets a treat. You'll probably need some calm stooge friends to work on it with and I don't know how effective it will be with an exuberant cocker (client dog is a goldendoodle so a bit less hyper).

The other suggestion would be to associate a knock on the door with getting eg a stuffed kong in his crate?

It's hard with cockers though as they're so hard for visitors to resist. We took ours to stay with some friends who were very strict about them not being on the furniture (totally fair enough). It took Zorro less than half an hour to go from being petted by Mike whilst sitting at his feet, to crawling into his lap, to Mike sitting on the floor and Zorro stretched out full-length on the sofa LOL!
Claire, Bella & Zorro - the two muppeteers!
Tellington TTouch Practitioner P1
www.tellingtontouch.org.uk

Offline Bluebell

• Limited Member
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2010, 01:04:49 PM »
My dogs are all enthusiastic greeters at the door  :005:
The youngest two, 4 years, and 20 weeks, are shut in their crates, and the eldest 7 is shut behind a door (he has given his crate to the 20 week old). They remain there until peace has been resumed, so that is however long it takes them to calm down ;) Their 'reward' for calming down is being let out to say hello. One at a time. If there is any madness again the routine is repeated - in the crate until they have calmed down!
Being gun dogs I so find that if they have a toy or ragger in their mouths when they are let out, there is very little jumping up, and more wriggling around tail wagging :D

Offline supergirl

• Wonderful Indie
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2010, 01:41:07 PM »
Have to admit I have given up on this - Misha & Roly were quite good at meeting visitors, but since Lexi & Ellie have arrived there is a lot of competition to get to the visitors first, so they do get shut into the kitchen.
Misha, Ellie, Roly, Lexi (& Karen)

People who have dogs live longer - it's all the extra love

Offline MaggieR

• Donator
« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2010, 02:08:57 PM »
Being gun dogs I so find that if they have a toy or ragger in their mouths when they are let out, there is very little jumping up, and more wriggling around tail wagging :D

Must say I chuckle to myself when I think of Maggie as a gundog, she's more like a handbag dog really  :005:, however, I also find that she's much better when people come to the house if she has something in her mouth... toy or something, then she just parades it around, bum waggling but with no real want to jump up, so maybe trying giving something to them to carry?  Probably helps tho that she's on her own as well.....
Lisa & Maggie x

One reason a dog can be such a comfort when you're feeling blue is that he doesn't try to find out why.  ~Author Unknown

Offline Pip895

« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2010, 04:30:03 PM »

I am working on this - trying to get Saffi to pick up "Phessy" when she goes to the front door to greet someone.  Its still a work in progress, but shows distinct promice - if I succeed it seams to cut out the jumping up allmost completely and the licking - which some visitors aren't keen on. :005:

Offline mooching

« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2010, 05:48:38 PM »
Alfie (6 months old) was doing quite well with this up till about a week ago, expressing interest but not over-excitement.

Then one day last week a delivery driver knocked on the door. Alfie went to see but was his usual self and just mildly interested - until the driver reached into his pocket and brought out a dog biscuit.  >:( Now, if anyone comes to the door Alfie goes frantic, jumping up at the door, barking, yelping and all sorts - so we're having to start all over again, and having to specify to visitors to please not give Alfie anything.  ::)

Offline grracee

« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2010, 06:57:40 PM »
My two are the same. Whenever anyone comes in through the door they will jump up with excitement. As my younger sister & cousins come alot they are just at the right height for them to get to their faces so whenever anyone comes now they are in the kitchen with the baby gate shut until they have calmed down abit then they come it. It seems to work as when they come in after they aren't as excited as before!  :blink:

Offline black taz

« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2010, 07:46:29 PM »
i have the same problem with both mine, when people knock at the door to come in we always hold them until they guests have said hello to them and they are a bit calmer.  But my parents, & sons girlfriends always just walk in without knocking and get mugged at the door.  Its quite about bearable with Taz, as he wiggles so much he cannot keep his balance enough to jump up for many seconds, but Kira being a 28kg lab is a much bigger problem  >:D

Offline SkyeSue

• Inactive
« Reply #12 on: October 12, 2010, 07:54:15 PM »
Chloe is the same. I have resorted to shutting her in the living room when guests arrive. As my front door is basically my kitchen door, I tend to spend a couple of minutes with guests in the kitchen before letting Chloe out to greet them. They are always under strict instructions to ignore her manic greetings until she's calmed down and is sitting with all four paws on the floor, that can take quite a while!

Sue and Chloe, happy girls on the Isle of Skye

Offline SandraD

« Reply #13 on: October 12, 2010, 08:02:10 PM »
Have to admit I have given up on this - Misha & Roly were quite good at meeting visitors, but since Lexi & Ellie have arrived there is a lot of competition to get to the visitors first, so they do get shut into the kitchen.

It's the same in this house too! ph34r  I did try to get Monty to sit and greet visitors quietly when he was little, but his big spaniel eyes always got the better of our visitors no matter how strict I was with them all! :005:  He now has to wait in the kitchen until everyone is inside and then he gets to say hello, but I am pretty strict about trying to stop him jumping up.  I have to say once he has greeted everyone he is really good and settles down very quickly.

Offline september

• Site Member
  • Summer is for ball throwing!
« Reply #14 on: October 13, 2010, 10:50:22 AM »
Fraser at 15 months is becoming more independent minded and sometimes just blows me off when I call him or tell him to get in his bed to keep him from bothering visitors. Getting quite cheeky monkey. The other night my friends came over. I told Fraser to sit a few feet from the door so they could get in without a frantic cocker jumping up at them. He's been taught off, but in excitement still jumps up. He was so excited, he was on the verge of biting me as I tried to get his attention to maintain the sit and had my hands on him. As soon as both of the friends were in, he bolted toward them. They both tried the 'big man' walk, not looking at him and walking around as though he wasn't there, but he still jumped up at them.

So, next time I'm thinking I'll have him on trailing leash and stand on it when he attempts to mug them. But what next? I can't stand there forever with my foot on the lead. How do I get past this initial frenzy of excitement that makes him blind and deaf to me? Otherwise, at home with just me, he's a highly amenable dog.

I think you may have stolen my dog!  :005:

We either put Roxy in the kitchen if its someone who isn't staying long if they will be staying we are trying to make her sit and let people go up to her and pet her only when she is sitting! (she is 3 now so its a long process!!!!)

She can also be distracted by a biscuit so they can get in the door!! We ask people not to look at her or speak to her til she calms down as she can be very bad for jumping up.
It doesn't always work!!