Author Topic: Pork kidneys  (Read 433 times)

Offline Hollypops

Pork kidneys
« on: October 12, 2010, 05:13:05 PM »
Hi all.
I've just bought Holly some pork kidneys, didn't actually mean to buy pork but must have picked up the wrong pack, is this still ok to give her? Is pork ok to give? Only Im sure she had pork when she was little (cooked) and she went a bit funny (peeing in the house, seeming like she wasn't able to control herself). Someone once told me that pork often makes dogs act a bit strangly?
Any else's experiences would be welcome before I go&give it to her for tea!

Thanks Fay and Holly

Offline Karma

• Site Member
Re: Pork kidneys
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2010, 05:23:43 PM »

Pork is fine to feed - there are some who will tell you otherwise, as there used to be an issue with trichinosis, but there hasn't been a case in the UK for about 30 yrs...  ;)

Remembering Honey. Aug 2007-July 2020

Offline Hollypops

« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2010, 05:26:38 PM »
Oh ok, thank you. How much of a liver would you suggest to give her? Have never fed raw before but thinking of introducing a few little bits.

Offline bluegirl

• Site Member
    • www.millionhairsdoggrooming.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2010, 07:44:42 PM »
I feed pork kidneys but I have had problems with kidneys, as in apart from Penny its their least favourite offal so don't be too surprised if your little darling doesn't gulp them down. My other 3 usually take them off me (I cut one large kidney usually into quarters and give them each a quarter0 and as I said 3 of them take it off me, give it a few chews at best then spit it out. The only way I've found to give it to them all without complaint is to cut it into minute pieces and mix it with other offal and meat.

With liver I'd cut a couple of slivers off and give them about 2 - 3 each but I always give with other meat too.
Karen, Penny, Logan, Phoebe and Bronte.

"Life is a series of dogs".    George Carlin

I was going to take over the world but got distracted by something sparkly.